I'm A Fan Of The Shoot-Out

bob_sauve28

The Regular Season is so damn long and in many ways pointless, the shoot out adds some excitement to it. Some people say its not a good way to end a game, its just a break away contest and all that, which is true, but its fun to watch. Some people I know also say it should at least be five shooters, I guess, but whatever

im in the middle too. i obviously enjoy watching them, but feel it completely negates anything youve just done in the prior 65 minutes of play.

if anything i wouldnt mind seeing the shootout changed from Penalty Shots to maybe a 2-on-1+goalie. i dont know. i just sorta thought of that right now.

im in the middle too. i obviously enjoy watching them, but feel it completely negates anything youve just done in the prior 65 minutes of play.

how so? You still get your 1 point. The shootout offers an extra point. The only way it matters is in a playoff race where you don't want to give the extra point to your opponent.

how so? You still get your 1 point. The shootout offers an extra point. The only way it matters is in a playoff race where you don't want to give the extra point to your opponent.

i didnt mean that in regards to points and standings. more so on the subject of team dynamics, the type of game they play, what they did during the game, etc.

im not saying i have any better solution(obviously) or that it needs to go. just that im not completely sold on it.

i like it better than playing to a tie, its definitely an improvement. its just... meh.

I like the shootout for the regular season. But if they were to do away with it they should still have overtime until there is a winner. One idea I had to make it more likely to get a goal in overtime was that you have to use 1 defenseman and 3 forwards in overtime. if you try to use 2 defenseman either you get a 2 min bench minor or a penalty shot against you

i didnt mean that in regards to points and standings. more so on the subject of team dynamics, the type of game they play, what they did during the game, etc.

im not saying i have any better solution(obviously) or that it needs to go. just that im not completely sold on it.

i like it better than playing to a tie, its definitely an improvement. its just... meh.

The shootout is really for the fans (since the NHL needed something to make us all happy again), but I think it also gives teams the incentive for the additional point. It really is the best way to appease everyone. There is NO WAY it should be used in the playoffs (obviously), but since it's too unrealistic to play continual OTs in the regular season, this is not a bad thing.

About the only other thing they could have done is extend OT to 10 minutes, but shootouts are just too cool. :thumbsup:

The shootout is really for the fans (since the NHL needed something to make us all happy again), but I think it also gives teams the incentive for the additional point. It really is the best way to appease everyone. There is NO WAY it should be used in the playoffs (obviously), but since it's too unrealistic to play continual OTs in the regular season, this is not a bad thing.

About the only other thing they could have done is extend OT to 10 minutes, but shootouts are just too cool. :thumbsup:

Extending the OT any more would make the back to back games even harder than they are now. 5 minutes with 4 per side and then a shootout encourages teams to have people who can shoot.

As a bit of an aside, picture it's 1998: Who would the top three shooters be for Hasek and Co.? Miro, Audette, and Peca?

the only thing i would like is to see a regulation win be worth more than a shootout win. something like 3 points for a win in reg. making it to ot gets both teams one, and winning in ot or shootout would get you a second. that way winning in regulation is encouraged plus the same number of points are always given away. no matter how the points are awarded i do enjoy the excitement of a shoot out.

Archived