The "OFFICIAL" I'm done with Kotalik thread!

LabattBlue

Positives...

1.Great shot

2.Big body on a team that is comprised primarily of small forwards

3.Some willingness to bang along the boards.

Negatives...

1.Comes up the wing OVER AND OVER AGAIN and fires a lame ass wrist shot at the net. Drive to the net with the puck, try to carry it behind the net, make a pass, but if you can't get off a HARD shot, don't bother shooting.

2.Prone to giving the puck away.

3.Does not seem to get into position to score goals(in front of the net or in the high slot). If you don't know what I'm talking about, replay the Pominville goal from last night.

4.Has no offensive game other than his shot. Does not seem to be a great skater or passer. No creativity in his game.

5.Worse plus/minus player on the team among the regulars except for Mair.

6.Can go games at a time, where he contributes nothing.

7.Is a joke on the PP. I'm not sure why Lindy continues to reward him with PP ice time.

In summary...I wouldn't be upset if Darcy traded him at the deadline and worst case scenario, I pray that he moves him in the offseason.

That being said, he'll probably come out on Saturday and score a hat trick. :doh:

Positives...

I'd almost be tempted to make this a neutral aspect, at best. He will hit, on occasion, but for someone his size, he seems to suffer from the Richard Smehlik/Mike Wilson syndrome...big guys who avoid contact.

Negatives...

1.Comes up the wing OVER AND OVER AGAIN and fires a lame ass wrist shot at the net. Drive to the net with the puck, try to carry it behind the net, make a pass, but if you can't get off a HARD shot, don't bother shooting.

3.Does not seem to get into position to score goals(in front of the net or in the high slot). If you don't know what I'm talking about, replay the Pominville goal from last night.

4.Has no offensive game other than his shot. Does not seem to be a great skater or passer. No creativity in his game.

7.Is a joke on the PP. I'm not sure why Lindy continues to reward him with PP ice time.

In summary...I wouldn't be upset if Darcy traded him at the deadline and worst case scenario, I pray that he moves him in the offseason.

That being said, he'll probably come out on Saturday and score a hat trick. :doh:

Can't disagree with most of your negatives. I really cannot see why he keeps getting PP time.

And while I am sure that he won't pump in a hat trick, he'll score a goal that surprises us, and someone will dig up this thread to show you how wrong you are... :nana:

Last year was so much different for Kotalik. It seems like this year he doesn't have that killer instinct to score goals anymore. He doesn't seem like a hungry player(although he isn't the only one on the team like that). His plus/minus is -2, second worst only to Adam Mair. He is on pace for 10 less points than he had last year. I guess the biggest problem of all is that I, for one, expected his to actually get better this year. To actually increase his goal/point totals, but barring some scoring frenzy, he will fall well short of that.

There are things I like about Ales like his success at shootouts and his hard slapshot that can score goals for him on the PP (not many lately). But when you watch him play live it looks to me like he switched his stick to one of those banana sticks we used in grade school gym class. It's as though the puck is too heavy for his stick as he gives it away too easily. He also has no accuracy unless it's a slapshot or a shootout attempt.

I'm not saying I'm done with Ales or that he won't improve, but for about the same money last summer, I would've offered it to J.P. Dumont.

Positives...

1.Great shot

2.Big body on a team that is comprised primarily of small forwards

Negatives...

Amen.

There are things I like about Ales like his success at shootouts and his hard slapshot that can score goals for him on the PP (not many lately). But when you watch him play live it looks to me like he switched his stick to one of those banana sticks we used in grade school gym class. It's as though the puck is too heavy for his stick as he gives it away too easily. He also has no accuracy unless it's a slapshot or a shootout attempt.

I'm not saying I'm done with Ales or that he won't improve, but for about the same money last summer, I would've offered it to J.P. Dumont.

As the cliche goes, "hindsight is 20/20." I don't know if anyone could have predicted, after Al's breakout season last year, that he would drop off rather than improve his stats. And who knows, if we dropped Al over the summer perhaps he would be the one playing well on the Predators

Dig up some game tapes from last year and compare the powerplay from the two seasons. Opposing forwards are playing the point men much tighter than they did last year. That alone is going to hurt his production, since most of it came from back there. That's not the whole story, but its a major factor in his drop.

Opposing teams have been pressuring our point men all season long, because they apparently can't function under pressure, Big Al is probably the worst one back there. We haven't seen any evidence that he can alter his shot selection, speed or trajectory to get it through to the net consistently, nad he doesn't seem to be able to pass off the puck when the shot isn't there.

Whether it's opposing PK's changing their strategy, or his work ethic slumping or whatever, he is not getting it done. I really hope Lindy stops rolling him out there on point on the PP.

I come not to bury big Al, but to praise him. He's clearly become the favorite whipping boy on these boards (along with Kalinin). Everyone's ready to ship him out of town/bench him/take him off the PP, etc. Here's what I'll say:

1. This will be his 4th full season in the NHL. He has 14 goals, which projects to 22 for the year. Assuming he gets to 20, he'll have scored 20+ in 3 of those 1st 4 seasons. He only played 62 games in the season he didn't get 20.

2. He's making $2 million this year. Not peanuts, but not an overwhelming number. Keeping Dumont would have cost the Sabres $2.9 million -- 45% more than Al. Dumont has 10 goals this year; Kotalik has 14.

3. He's 7th on our team in scoring, 5th in PP scoring, 4th in shots.

4. He hustles, he plays the system, he backchecks, he takes the body and he's solid enough at both ends to be a fixture on Drury's line.

5. Great slapper; great one-timer.

6. He's money in the shootout.

Is that worth $2 million? In the NHL, it's about right.

Now, all that is not to say that he doesn't have flaws -- he does. He's a pretty good skater, but he's not quick or nimble. As Labatt points out, he doesn't have much if any offensive creativity. I think he does get into position to score frequently, but he also fails to do so too often -- Pominville is definitely better at this. He's pretty good at the point on the PP in terms of being careful not to give up breakaways, but he's only so-so at holding the puck in.

My biggest beef with Al is that while I think he hustles, he doesn't seem to play with any fire. He's a big, strong guy who can skate and lay out a big hit -- and does so from time to time. Yet when someone takes liberties with one of his teammates while he's on the ice, it doesn't occur to him to go flying in to the fray. Contrast this with Gaustad, who acts like a grizzly bear defending his cubs. Also, Kotalik just seems weary all the time. I thought he had the most spring in his step this year when Gaustad was on the line with him and Drury, but that seems to be over now.

My bottom line: he's got limitations, and I was hoping for a step up in production this year that doesn't seem like it's coming, but he's still a pretty good player and, IMHO, worth what we're paying for him. Now, if we could get Chris Pronger as a rent-a-player for Kotalik at the deadline -- fine. But I wouldn't give up on Al for some #6-7 defenseman or for a guy like Dumont (although I like JP also).

I come not to bury big Al, but to praise him. He's clearly become the favorite whipping boy on these boards (along with Kalinin). Everyone's ready to ship him out of town/bench him/take him off the PP, etc. Here's what I'll say:

1. This will be his 4th full season in the NHL. He has 14 goals, which projects to 22 for the year. Assuming he gets to 20, he'll have scored 20+ in 3 of those 1st 4 seasons. He only played 62 games in the season he didn't get 20.

2. He's making $2 million this year. Not peanuts, but not an overwhelming number. Keeping Dumont would have cost the Sabres $2.9 million -- 45% more than Al. Dumont has 10 goals this year; Kotalik has 14.

3. He's 7th on our team in scoring, 5th in PP scoring, 4th in shots.

4. He hustles, he plays the system, he backchecks, he takes the body and he's solid enough at both ends to be a fixture on Drury's line.

5. Great slapper; great one-timer.

6. He's money in the shootout.

Is that worth $2 million? In the NHL, it's about right.

Well said. A little crisper passing on the PP and a deke here or there before the slaptshot might make a difference. And oh yeah, holding the puck in the zone would help too..

Negatives...

If I may.

1.Comes up the wing OVER AND OVER AGAIN and fires a lame ass wrist shot at the net. Drive to the net with the puck, try to carry it behind the net, make a pass, but if you can't get off a HARD shot, don't bother shooting. He has scored several times using his wrist shot. It's a heavy deceptive shot.

2.Prone to giving the puck away. He has 23 giveaways for the season. Breire has 47 -Vanek 58 - Max 56.

3.Does not seem to get into position to score goals(in front of the net or in the high slot). If you don't know what I'm talking about, replay the Pominville goal from last night. He does have 14 (76 over 4 seasons) goals. I'm not sure it matters where they come from.

4.Has no offensive game other than his shot. Does not seem to be a great skater or passer. No creativity in his game. Huh? All Rocket Richard has was his shot. :rolleyes: He has 85 assists in 278 career games.

5.Worse plus/minus player on the team among the regulars except for Mair. It is Minus -2. He is far from being the worst player in his on end. You need to look no further than Breire for that.

6.Can go games at a time, where he contributes nothing. He is third on the teams with 80 hits while being 14th in ice time per game.. He also has 19 blocked shots and 13 takeaways. He contributes it's just not always in the way that makes the highlights.

7.Is a joke on the PP. I'm not sure why Lindy continues to reward him with PP ice time. He is 5th on the team in PP scoring and his shot from the point is a legit threat that teams must respect.

I think were all getting a little spoiled. Kotalik is not a bad guy to have on the point in comparison to what we had in years past. How many years was Zhitnik manning out point? Every single time that guy took a slapper, the people in front of the next would have to duck as he rang it off the glass or the boards.

I think were all getting a little spoiled. Kotalik is not a bad guy to have on the point in comparison to what we had in years past. How many years was Zhitnik manning out point? Every single time that guy took a slapper, the people in front of the next would have to duck as he rang it off the glass or the boards.

The players in front were the only safe ones. It was the players in the corners, stands and press box that needed to duck :lol:

Not to fan the flames any more, but I think it's pretty sad that a) having 3 PPGs is good enough for 5th on the team and b) that people are pointing to said 3 PPG as some sort of proof of good play.

I want to keep him for two reasons:

A) He draws the ire of the fans that want a player to hate. If he is gone people will start going after Vanek of Afinogenoz or someone else.

B) He is still a work in progress. He will score 20 very useful goals this year and I think he will improve in the next few years. I don't see trading away a goal scorer just because.

If I may.

1.Comes up the wing OVER AND OVER AGAIN and fires a lame ass wrist shot at the net. Drive to the net with the puck, try to carry it behind the net, make a pass, but if you can't get off a HARD shot, don't bother shooting. He has scored several times using his wrist shot. It's a heavy deceptive shot.

2.Prone to giving the puck away. He has 23 giveaways for the season. Breire has 47 -Vanek 58 - Max 56.

3.Does not seem to get into position to score goals(in front of the net or in the high slot). If you don't know what I'm talking about, replay the Pominville goal from last night. He does have 14 (76 over 4 seasons) goals. I'm not sure it matters where they come from.

4.Has no offensive game other than his shot. Does not seem to be a great skater or passer. No creativity in his game. Huh? All Rocket Richard has was his shot. :rolleyes: He has 85 assists in 278 career games.

5.Worse plus/minus player on the team among the regulars except for Mair. It is Minus -2. He is far from being the worst player in his on end. You need to look no further than Breire for that.

6.Can go games at a time, where he contributes nothing. He is third on the teams with 80 hits while being 14th in ice time per game.. He also has 19 blocked shots and 13 takeaways. He contributes it's just not always in the way that makes the highlights.

7.Is a joke on the PP. I'm not sure why Lindy continues to reward him with PP ice time. He is 5th on the team in PP scoring and his shot from the point is a legit threat that teams must respect.

Deluca...I am not talking about when Kotalik lets go with a good shot, watch how many times he just flips it at the net when coming down the wing. Those are not "heavy deceptive shots". Comparing Rocket Richard to Kotalik...great comparison. :doh: You defend Kotalik's +/-, but then turn around and rip Briere for his defensive play? Nice.

Throw all the stats you want out there about Kotalik, but watch his play, ignore the stats and then come back and talk to me.

I rest my case. ;)

Deluca...I am not talking about when Kotalik lets go with a good shot, A) watch how many times he just flips it at the net when coming down the wing. Those are not "heavy deceptive shots". Comparing Rocket Richard to Kotalik...B) great comparison. :doh: You defend Kotalik's +/-, but then turn around and C) rip Briere for his defensive play? Nice.

D) Throw all the stats you want out there about Kotalik, but watch his play, ignore the stats and then come back and talk to me.

I rest my case. ;)

A) What should he do with the puck?If the plays not there dump in on the goalie and get the face off. It's smart hockey. I guess doing anything but score is a bad play. It's just not the case.

B) I wasn't comparing Richard and Kotalik. I was poking fun at your "he only has a shot". But go ahead and concentrate on that and ignore the assists which shows he has some play making ability which you refuse to acknowledge.

C) How can I rip Briere's defensive play when he has none. It's like ripping Peters' hockey skills. They just don't exist.

D) I watch Kotalik. He is a strong physical player. He may not be Cam Neely but he plays an important role on this team. Is he perfect? No! At $2,000,000 per year for 14 g 20 a 80 hits he's a decent bargin.

I think your case just turned into a purse :nana:

A) What should he do with the puck?If the plays not there dump in on the goalie and get the face off.

Go back and read #1 under my negatives. The reason he chooses not to do some of the alternatives instead of a limp wristed shot, is because maybe he doesn't want to pay the price in the corners and behind the net. :o

Go back and read #1 under my negatives. The reason he chooses not to do some of the alternatives instead of a limp wristed shot, is because maybe he doesn't want to pay the price in the corners and behind the net. :o

He's third on the team with 80 hits. That's not paying a physical price to win hockey games. By every account I have heard he is by far the strongest Sabre.

If you want to talk about not paying the price. Look at your boy Briere. There was a play against the Bruins where he was behind the net. The puck was dumped to the side of the net. All Briere had to do was step up take some contact and he would have had a scoring chance. What did he do? He continued to back up behind the net waiting for the puck. The d-man took the puck unchallenged and cleared the zone. That's what I call not willing to pay the price.

Archived