What's Max doing out there?

SabresFanInRochester

Last I knew, Max had a separated shoulder and was out "long-term," according to Lindy. I never saw an update that he was okay.

I was out to dinner tonight and I came back to just in time to see the 5th goal against Boston. Jeanneret said "Afinogenov racing down the ice," and I thought it was a mistake, but who else skates that fast. So, what's the deal. What did I miss? Misdiagnosis? Miracle? Hockey Gods messing with my mind?

Anyone else think the guy has lost a step somewhere? He seems to get caught from behind more and more.

I think he's in a bit of a rut, 3 assists tonight notwithstanding. As for the speed -- I think I'm partially with you -- ie maybe not a full step but not 100% either. FWIW, I remember Lindy saying something about back spasms and a sore groin not too long ago.

We have all watched him to do some dumbass things, but tonight was one of the worst. 2 on 2 breaking into the offensive zone and he is man up on a guy with no stick. What does this genius do? He dishes off to the guy covered by the only defensive guy WITH a stick - only to see it poke checked away... It makes you want to cry sometimes.

I don't want to add fuel to the "bash Max" thread, but the one thing that really gets me fired up (aside from his penchant for turnovers) is his increasing propensity for bitching at the refs in a very vocal and animated way. I understand, it's frustrating getting hooked, held, obstructed, but it isn't going to do us any good if he earns himself a 10-minute misconduct...

i love Max and all. but sometimes he exhibits what we used to call "Horny Pony" syndrome. when he gets the puck, he's so excited and so fast that his body moves faster than his brain can handle and he ends up wasting the break away or the odd man rush with a stupid pass or a quadruple move.

i still like him on our team though

He may have his moments, but I love his style of play. He's frenetic. When he puts the afterburners on you can just see the other team backing up. If the interference penalty wasn't a threat, I don't think he would be able to do that without being knocked down. When he comes flying in like that you just know that goalie's heart rate goes up.

There isn't a player out there that doesn't have some questionable moments. As much as I like the whole team, I like to watch the RAV line when they are together. Roy's stick handling is the zone is second only to Brieres, Vanek is a monster in front of the net and Max is the wild card whirling dervish.

He may have his moments, but I love his style of play. He's frenetic. When he puts the afterburners on you can just see the other team backing up. If the interference penalty wasn't a threat, I don't think he would be able to do that without being knocked down. When he comes flying in like that you just know that goalie's heart rate goes up.

There isn't a player out there that doesn't have some questionable moments. As much as I like the whole team, I like to watch the RAV line when they are together. Roy's stick handling is the zone is second only to Brieres, Vanek is a monster in front of the net and Max is the wild card whirling dervish.

Well said.

Roy's stickhandling and hustle on Briere's 2nd goal was outstanding. He's done that a few times this year -- basically rag the puck all over the offensive zone, absorb checks and hang onto it, and then set up a goal with a sweet pass.

As for Max, I love having him on our team for the reasons you state. However, given last year's disappointing playoff performance he still has a lot to prove. Same goes for Vanek.

Archived