VISTA IS HERE!!!

Corp000085

Anyone planning on a day 1 install?

I'm so excited!!!!

I can get vista business for my new laptop for free.

Just kidding... i'm not all that excited. In fact, i could care less. I'm going to order the disc today, and i'm looking forward to receiving the box, but i'm not going to install it for a long while... Probably not till there's a significant set of updates or a service pack... Definitely won't install till AVG and zonealarm are fully compatible. So, i'll do it sometime over the summer... But i am looking forward to getting the package. New operating systems are always cool, no matter what.

Bill Gates was also on the Daily Show last night to talk about it.

Not many are stupid enough to buy the operating systems the first day they come out. Your better off giving it a few months until most of the kinks (and it is a microsoft program so there are kinks, in it are worked out

I'm of the mind that you should never "upgrade" to a more complex OS with hardware not designed to take advantage of the new OS's enhancements. (Especially when I am running a 3 year old laptop at work, and two 4 year old laptops at home.) :ph34r:

I upgraded simply to the new office package (free trial) a few days ago. Was weird manuevering around excel when trying to do homework. I still prefer my mac's version of office for most things.

I prefer the Mac version of everything for everything. :D

I'm going to order the disc today, and i'm looking forward to receiving the box, but i'm not going to install it for a long while... Probably not till there's a significant set of updates or a service pack.

why pay for it now if you're not going to use it? wait for their next release with their first service pack built in...that way, when you reinstall the system, you don't need to redownload the service pack.

My Mac won't run Vista. It also won't run the chat room software for this site, but hey, I pay the price for a good system.

If you are running Firefox, there is a great plugin called Chatzilla that can be set up to open the chat room as part of the Tools menu.

Here is the post I did with the setup a while back.

Something happened to the chat during the off-season that made it sloooowww... Unfortunately, it only happened to some people, which makes it tough to fix.

I'm waiting for at least SP1. I think it still bug-filled and don't trust that everything will work flawlessly with it. I ditched XP64 cause it sucked cause of all the 32-bit programs that didn't work with that emulation crap they supposedly got in there.

service pack? what's that?

sorry...as a mac user, when i hear things like this, i wonder why anyone would put themselves through such trials and tribulations.

Yeah, after all, Macs are just better at hiding their flaws.

I have to support both OSes at my job. Neither is clearly superior to the other, and both have their absolutely stupid design flaws.

I don't have that much experience with Macs, outside of using them at school for the occasional project, so I don't know/see what the big deal is about them. I do admit that keeping up with the service packs, upgrades, patches and other stuff gets a little overwhelming, even for people like myself (I consider myself to be an intermediate computer user.) I can't imagine how overwhelmed novice users feel when faced with all the upgrades, warnings, error messages...

[rant]On a side note, one of my absolute pet peeves are the message board Linux/"Build it yourself" hijackers. As in someone posts a question about a computer problem, and some geek comes in and starts lecturing you about how you should be using Linux. Or someone asks for recommendations on buying a new computer, and someone jumps in and starts pontificating on how building your own computer is easy and cheaper and blah blah blah... :censored:

[/rant]

Heh, at least Windows has Automatic Updates. Friggin OS X hasn't enabled it yet, so you have to MANUALLY update your PC every month.

huh? OS X has an automatic software update every other week or so...OS, quicktime, iLife components, security, etc. it's pretty comprehensive.

do you mean windows does it all in the background without you knowing, or were you complaining about having to click for confirmation with a mac?

huh? OS X has an automatic software update every other week or so...OS, quicktime, iLife components, security, etc. it's pretty comprehensive.

do you mean windows does it all in the background without you knowing, or were you complaining about having to click for confirmation with a mac?

yeah, I have no idea what he is talking about. Who the hell wants AUTOMATIC updates to occur? :blink: I think I can free up enough time to click "OK" when Apple notifies my of an update.

Archived