Sabres @ Calgary (01/21)

Knightrider

I just tuned into radio so i didnt see or hear the gaol, but that is unbelievable.

We are getting heavily outshot.

the sabres played pathetic before the kick in goal, so that's not too much of an excuse. the team just came out flat like they always do in the western canada road trips. at least we won in edmonton.

ok, i'm drawing a complete blank on this... i know tony amonte played for the blackhawks, but who was the really short guy who played for the blackhawks and rangers and was an alcoholic? he was like 5'5" and "retired" 2 years ago? i really can't think of who it was

theoren fleury... answered my own question.

Paul Hamilton on WGR said the video replay officials are "minor officials" provided by the home team. This can't be true, can it?

That's the way it has been in past seasons. They have modified the system this season, but I am not certain as to what extent.

There are now replay officials based in the League Office in Toronto. I know they are supposed to review all controversial plays, but don't know for certain whether they review ALL potential goals or not. My guess is that the home replay review crew review all plays and then refer the controversial ones to Toronto. Technically, ever since the LeClair phantom goal ALL occurances where the puck goes near the net are supposed to be reviewed to keep idiocy like this from happening.

How the league messed this one up will be an interesting story and I am certain they are currently figuring out what their story will be.

That's the way it has been in past seasons. They have modified the system this season, but I am not certain as to what extent.

There are now replay officials based in the League Office in Toronto. I know they are supposed to review all controversial plays, but don't know for certain whether they review ALL potential goals or not. My guess is that the home replay review crew review all plays and then refer the controversial ones to Toronto. Technically, ever since the LeClair phantom goal ALL occurances where the puck goes near the net are supposed to be reviewed to keep idiocy like this from happening.

How the league messed this one up will be an interesting story and I am certain they are currently figuring out what their story will be.

yeah... their story will be quite interesting. you could already see rob ray and kevin sylvester were snickering when they reported that campbell called darcy

game over 4-1 for the flames. The flames worked very hard and the sabres were flatter than they've been in a while from the very start. While the game was close, that phantom goal occured which totally killed whatever was potentially brewing for the sabres. Completely forgettable game except for the officiating outrage.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=260121003

The game was tied at 1-1 when Regehr gave Calgary the lead for good 56 seconds into the period with his power-play tally.

Daymond Langkow fired a shot from the blue line, but Buffalo goaltender Martin Biron made the save. However, the Sabres could not gather the rebound and the puck trickled near the left goalpost before deflecting off Regehr's skate and into the vacant net.

Biron immediately protested the goal, but the officials ultimately allowed it after a lengthy video review.

looks like i'm not selling that bridge tonight

Maybe that one goal was a pile of crap, but you people are absolutely sickening. Any time the Sabres lose you start making excuses before the game is even over. The team went out West and generally played like ass, deal with it, it's what actually happened.

The worst thing about that stupid goal is that I'll have to listen to people cry about it for a goddamn month or two.

Maybe that one goal was a pile of crap, but you people are absolutely sickening. Any time the Sabres lose you start making excuses before the game is even over. The team went out West and generally played like ass, deal with it, it's what actually happened.

The worst thing about that stupid goal is that I'll have to listen to people cry about it for a goddamn month or two.

You won't "hear" (actually read) any bitching from me about foot-gate. :o The Sabres were attempting to kill off a 5 on 3 and if the Flames didn't score that goal it almost seemed like they would have scored shortly thereafter anyway. Buffaro did nothing to deserve the win. Long road trips are tough and I was hoping for the best but kinda expected them to come back to earth. Hopefully they will get 3 or 4 points out of the next 2 games. B-)

i don't know if i am still hunover, but i just read through this complete thread and don't think anybody made it sound as though they were going to carry on for the next two months?!? where did you draw that conclusion? we only do that when it is game 6 of a Cup final.

as for that play imo it looked like he was trying to kick the puck up to this stick - not towards the net - evidenced by regehrs swinging his stick just as it crossed the line so since he did not intential direct it towards the net. i think that is why it was not reversed.

that play and the atrocious call that put them down two men - i can not remember that it was - totally took everything out of them. too bad b/c they should have tried to use that to inspire them.

heading to MSG with about 30 fans from the NYCity Buffalo Bills Backers on Tuesday so hopefully we can make some noise!!

From today's Buffalo News:

'Murphy said Saddledome video goal judge Doug Young determined Regehr used his stick to score, but "clearly he didn't get it with his stick," Murphy said.

"The play should've been reviewed by the video goal judge," Murphy said. "It wasn't."'

Um...Do those two sentences not completely contradict each other?

-Marty...I don't care if you give up a bad goal from time to time, but can you at least try and be in the right position. McCarty barely made contact with the puck and there it went dribbling into the far side of the net while your angle on the play was horrible once again.

-10 goals in the last home game and then 5 goals combined in 3 road games. This is not going to cut it.

-On the 5 on 3 within a span of a minute, Pominville gave the puck away on a horrible pass in the Calgary zone and the next rush in, Connolly tried to stickhandle his way through the Calgary zone instead of pulling up and setting up the PP. THINK! THINK! THINK!

-What breakdown in communication? Whether the ref saw the kick or not, when multiple players are arguing vehemently about the goal, shouldn't the ref have the common sense to go upstairs. I was hoping Lindy would have taken a play out of an NFL playbook and called a timeout after the goal to ensure that somehow the call gets reversed. Four officials on the ice, plus a couple upstairs and none of them saw the kick? Demote ALL of them back to the AHL ASAP.

-The good news...Peters was a FORCE out there in his 4-5 minutes of play(up from 3-4 minutes the last game). I am now confident that sending Novotny back to Rochester was the right move. <_< I will ride Lindy and Darcy on this until the day that Peters is no longer on the roster. Let him go back to being a freak show in the AHL with 400 PM per season.

-3-4-1 in the last seven games. The Sabres need to get back on track and try to get 4 points out of the remaining 3 road games. It's going to get a lot harder after the break, so start turning things aroung now.

GO SABRES!!

it looked like he was trying to kick the puck up to this stick - not towards the net - evidenced by regehrs swinging his stick just as it crossed the line so since he did not intential direct it towards the net. i think that is why it was not reversed.

Intent doesn't enter into it. He kicked the puck into the net!

I still can't get over the apparent fact, reported by Dave, that the video goal judge is a minor official provided by the home team. Can anyone say "garage league"?

Can an NHL ref call for a review? I know the refs in the NFL can't.

Oh well, as others have said, it wasn't why the Sabres lost anyway. It wasn't "No Goal," it was "no goals"!