Where We Are

Allan in MD

Why did Miller play the third period? The Sabres were clearly goners and it was a perfect opportunity to give Ryan a blow and get Marty some ice time.

This team is clearly playing tired. Announcers continue to harp on the fact that the Sabres have generally dominated in the second period. Yet lately, this has not been so much the case. The Ottawa game was a perfect example of what has occurred. The guys were flying in the first period but appeared totally worn down (sloppy play, turnovers etc.) by the second period. What to do? Give the guys who are clearly needing rest fewer minutes (see para. one above). Yes, Lindy runs short shifts. But that merely means the guys get less time to recoup before they have to jump back out there. (Whoever did the scheduling this year apparently never played the game.)

The "power play" looks exactly like it did for years prior to last season, i.e. disorganized, slow, and challenged. What's the difference? I believe it was clearly Tim C's. presence last year and his absence this year. The guy became invaluable on the pp and in so many other ways last season. The effect of his loss becomes more pronounced as the season progresses. (I wish someone would run Schaeffer's a--.)

In line with what many have been saying all season, the Ottawa game dramatically showed how soft the Sabres are. They were getting knocked all over the place and did very little hitting in return. Teams have learned that to get Buffalo off its game, continue to drill them and wear them down. It says something for, perhaps, getting guys like Paille up to play regularly. Forget about Peters. He's too much of a liability on the ice, as we all know, and is overrated as a fighter.

Why did Miller play the third period? The Sabres were clearly goners and it was a perfect opportunity to give Ryan a blow and get Marty some ice time.

This team is clearly playing tired. Announcers continue to harp on the fact that the Sabres have generally dominated in the second period. Yet lately, this has not been so much the case. The Ottawa game was a perfect example of what has occurred. The guys were flying in the first period but appeared totally worn down (sloppy play, turnovers etc.) by the second period. What to do? Give the guys who are clearly needing rest fewer minutes (see para. one above). Yes, Lindy runs short shifts. But that merely means the guys get less time to recoup before they have to jump back out there. (Whoever did the scheduling this year apparently never played the game.)

The "power play" looks exactly like it did for years prior to last season, i.e. disorganized, slow, and challenged. What's the difference? I believe it was clearly Tim C's. presence last year and his absence this year. The guy became invaluable on the pp and in so many other ways last season. The effect of his loss becomes more pronounced as the season progresses. (I wish someone would run Schaeffer's a--.)

In line with what many have been saying all season, the Ottawa game dramatically showed how soft the Sabres are. They were getting knocked all over the place and did very little hitting in return. Teams have learned that to get Buffalo off its game, continue to drill them and wear them down. It says something for, perhaps, getting guys like Paille up to play regularly. Forget about Peters. He's too much of a liability on the ice, as we all know, and is overrated as a fighter.

I dunno...I think its more mental against Ottawa, IMHO than anything. Ottawa has a .500 record against the rest of the NHL., so it's not like they are doing this to everyone---realistically, we are pretty much the ONLY ones Ottawa is doing this to. We seem to do pretty well against everyone else. I mean, we still have 2 games to get 2 points to pass by Anaheim for the NHL lead in points, so its not panic time or anything. We do miss Connolly on the PP, but I think we also miss Dumont as well on the PP...

Take away Ottawa and the Sabres would only have 7 losses against the rest of the NHL(3 in OT or SO)...or they have almost as many losses to Ottawa as they do to all the other teams combined...

Ottawa has killed us on special teams this whole season, and today's game was no different(3 PP goals and 1 SH goal). Until they are able to at least neutralize Ottawa's special teams advantage, they will continue to lose to them.

I don't think it shows they are soft at all. I think it shows they play a different game. If so many other teams have it figured out, why do the other teams have a combined 7 wins against them?

7-29 and they have us figured out? That's a winning percentage of 24%---not too good...

Ask Philadelphia how well trying to hit us all the time worked out in the playoffs last year...

We are on pace for a ridiculous 125 points to go along with 58 wins...

And Peters is UNDERRATED if anything as a fighter---the man seems to hurt his opponent virtually everytime I have seen him fight, and the linesmen have to step in and stop it...

I am confident they will get it figured out...

And Peters is UNDERRATED if anything as a fighter---the man seems to hurt his opponent virtually everytime I have seen him fight, and the linesmen have to step in and stop it...

Worth every penny we pay him. In fact he is so dangerous as a fighter, I hear that UFC is after him. He is underrated not only as a fighter but as a hockey player in general. I am not sure what Darcy is doing. Get Peters signed to a 5 year contract ASAP. <_<

Worth every penny we pay him. In fact he is so dangerous as a fighter, I hear that UFC is after him. He is underrated not only as a fighter but as a hockey player in general. I am not sure what Darcy is doing. Get Peters signed to a 5 year contract ASAP. <_<

Quit harping on my homey.

Dude needs to be let loose, especially on the opposing teams' cheap shot artists.

the sabres just got outplayed badly in the first and then dominated the 2nd only two games ago agains the Canes, so I don't buy in to the "tiring" thing.

to me, this game was mental. we played fantastic in the first and had nothing to show for it, and they let it affect how they played the 2nd period....game over. next game on the schedule, move one.

I believe it was clearly Tim C's. presence last year and his absence this year. The guy became invaluable on the pp ...

I hear this a lot and don't doubt it, although I'm not sure I understand it. What, exactly, does Connelly do on the PP that other players on the roster cannot? I'm not disagreeing that Timmah is a great player who makes an impact (see Game 1 vs. Sens last year) but what unique skills or intangibles does he have that can't be picked up by say, Pominville or Vanek during his absence?

What more do you expect from a guy being paid around the league minimum getting a couple minutes of ice time when he is active?

Everyone says we need to bring up a guy from Rochester to play instead of him, but they can't afford to. Some of the guys playing in Rochester that everyone wants up to play make more then he does so its not possible. The team has a great record with him in the lineup, and he has yet to cost us a game with his play so who cares.

Lets face it, almost everyone last night played like crap, Peters played like he usually plays and to be honest, it was a little better then some of our better guys play last night.

Lets face it, almost everyone last night played like crap, Peters played like he usually plays and to be honest, it was a little better then some of our better guys play last night.

With the way everyone complains about him, I find myself watching him exclusively whenever he is on the ice. Last night he still looked a little tentative, but got off a good SOG, kept the puck moving up the boards and into the zone, and did some other things well.

I find myself rooting for him. Here's a guy who worked his ass off all his life to get to the NHL to fill the enforcer role, only to realize his goal and find out the rules have changed. Now he has to, real quick, become a traditional forward. And he's on a team loaded with skill and talent that makes his comparative lack of skills glaringly obvious. He's no all star, but he is working to change his game, doesn't cost us games, and still fills a valuable role at times. For the league minimum. Lindy and his team mates support him, that's a good enough endorsement for me. Go AP!

What more do you expect from a guy being paid around the league minimum getting a couple minutes of ice time when he is active?

Everyone says we need to bring up a guy from Rochester to play instead of him, but they can't afford to. Some of the guys playing in Rochester that everyone wants up to play make more then he does so its not possible. The team has a great record with him in the lineup, and he has yet to cost us a game with his play so who cares.

I guess what pisses me off the most about Peters is the fact that some people want to make him out to be more than what he really is...

1. A good but not great fighter whose role in the NHL continues to diminish to the point where the Peters of the world will be relegated to the minor leagues.

2. A player who CANNOT skate a regular shift and whose true value to the team is shown come playoff time when he is banished to the press box. I can think of at least five Amerks Lindy would insert in the lineup come playoff time before Peters.

3. Locker room clown. WHOOP DE FREAKIN' DO!!

4. He hasn't cost a game yet? He hasn't contributed to any wins either?

Doesn't show up on the score sheet, but I think he helped us beat Detroit. His fight inspired our boys and without it, IMHO, we don't get those two points and our 10 game winning streak (which sold a lot of tickets for this season) would've stopped much sooner.

I think what this team needs is a genuine 4th line again. A so called energy line. I would call up Kaleta and trade for a legitimate rugged center-ice man. Novotny doesn't belong there, and quite frankly I'm not sure where he belongs on this team. Peters shouldn't be here anymore either.

Doesn't show up on the score sheet, but I think he helped us beat Detroit. His fight inspired our boys and without it, IMHO, we don't get those two points and our 10 game winning streak (which sold a lot of tickets for this season) would've stopped much sooner.

Nothing but wild speculation on your part. By the way I like how you go from a peters fight, led to winning a game, which was part of a 10 game winning streak, which led to all the tickets being sold.

I have a better way for Peters to help sell tickets...prop his juiced up ass in one of the ticket windows and pay him minimum wage. :lol:

I hear this a lot and don't doubt it, although I'm not sure I understand it. What, exactly, does Connelly do on the PP that other players on the roster cannot? I'm not disagreeing that Timmah is a great player who makes an impact (see Game 1 vs. Sens last year) but what unique skills or intangibles does he have that can't be picked up by say, Pominville or Vanek during his absence?

There are several mysteries I have pondered this season, including why Andrew Peters continues to dress (salary cap issues, I know); why the Sens continue to make us their regular-season ; why the league still allows guys like Koharksi and Fraser to ref games; whether Marty has several different conversations during games, or if it is one running dialog that the skaters just pick up bits & pieces of between line changes; and why a team that leads the league in even-strength scoring has a powerplay that, at times, resembles a monkey crap-fight at the zoo.

I have wondered why people keep pointing to Timmy as the reason why our PP sucks this year, and while I think Timmy missing is part of the reason we have struggled, it's not the only reason. Losing Scott Arniel hurts more than we thought it would, and I think that teams are rushing our point men, forcing them to make plays quickly, and their inability to make the opponents' PK pay for their aggressiveness has hurt us.

I've said it before - I'd like to see us get a true PP QB back on the point, someone who can get a big shot through and distribute the puck under duress. I'd also like to see them start moving Pommer and Big Al around to try to set up their big boomers in the high slot or off-wing. Failing that, I am really looking forward to Timmy coming back so we can see if he truly is the missing piece on the PP.

By the way I like who you go from a peters fight, led to winning a game, which was part of a 10 game winning streak, which led to all the tickets being sold.

Neat, huh? It's that new math...

All I'm saying is that, remembering that Detroit game, his fight did seem to spark the team when Detroit was all over us. A Gaustad fight likely would have had the same effect, but in this case it was Peters, and I believe the momentum boost CONTRIBUTED to, but was obviously not solely responsible for, our eventually winning that game. Point is, he played his role effectively and I think it helped us win the game.

Then it occurred to me, that was game 4 of the season. If we had lost there, we would have come out of the gate 3-0-1. A good start. But none of the hysteria around our 10 game streak (which sold a lot of tickets) would have happened. Does it necessarily follow that No Peters = No Ticket Sales? Of course not, but I just watched "A Wonderful Life" about a dozen times and the scenario appeals to me.

I think though that Peters, by virtue of earning a spot on the team and playing his role effectively, has contributed on par with expectations and salary. I also don't think he should dress for the playoffs.

There are several mysteries I have pondered this season, including why Andrew Peters continues to dress (salary cap issues, I know); why the Sens continue to make us their regular-season ; why the league still allows guys like Koharksi and Fraser to ref games; whether Marty has several different conversations during games, or if it is one running dialog that the skaters just pick up bits & pieces of between line changes; and why a team that leads the league in even-strength scoring has a powerplay that, at times, resembles a monkey crap-fight at the zoo.

I have wondered why people keep pointing to Timmy as the reason why our PP sucks this year, and while I think Timmy missing is part of the reason we have struggled, it's not the only reason. Losing Scott Arniel hurts more than we thought it would, and I think that teams are rushing our point men, forcing them to make plays quickly, and their inability to make the opponents' PK pay for their aggressiveness has hurt us.

I've said it before - I'd like to see us get a true PP QB back on the point, someone who can get a big shot through and distribute the puck under duress. I'd also like to see them start moving Pommer and Big Al around to try to set up their big boomers in the high slot or off-wing. Failing that, I am really looking forward to Timmy coming back so we can see if he truly is the missing piece on the PP.

1. Other than the obvious answer you've already hit upon; why ask why?

2. I've already told you, they're putting kryptonite in the condom wrappers. ;)

3. Walkom appears to have a man-crush on Frasier ever since Frasier hosed the Sabres against the Caps after Ray and Bam-Bam "made Walkom look bad" in their tirade in Filly. (Yeah, those 2 made him look bad; it had nothing to do with his horrible calls that game. :doh: ) Koharski must have photos of someone in the league office.

4. My guess is he starts a new one each period and then just runs with it.

5-6. I'm not sure which is worse, losing Timmy or Arniel, but both losses are huge. Arniel, because he drew up the plays. Timmy, for a few reasons. His creativity forces teams to give him the blue line, the team doesn't have to dump and chase as much to start the pp. His creativity also keeps players a little more tentative in charging him at the point. If he makes a move around the guy, it's now a 5-on-3 with the 3 relatively out of position; if he makes a killer pass through the guy, it's now a 4-on-3, again with the 3 relatively out of position. He has a very good shot and makes very accurate passes. The game appeared to be slowing down for him last year and his decision making improved tremendously as well. (He's always had the ability to dipsy-doodle through guys, but last year he finally figured out not to drop pass the puck at the blueline onto a defender's stick while doing it.)

I think that covers them all. ;)

I guess what pisses me off the most about Peters is the fact that some people want to make him out to be more than what he really is...

1. A good but not great fighter whose role in the NHL continues to diminish to the point where the Peters of the world will be relegated to the minor leagues.

2. A player who CANNOT skate a regular shift and whose true value to the team is shown come playoff time when he is banished to the press box. I can think of at least five Amerks Lindy would insert in the lineup come playoff time before Peters.

3. Locker room clown. WHOOP DE FREAKIN' DO!!

No opne is making him out to be more then what he is, its more like some people can't understand how other can be so harsh on a guy who's making the near the league minimum, is liked by the coach and players, and contributes the occasional spark from a fight (and it was said by some players after the detroit game that it did help change the momentum)

Everyone expects the sabres to have the same kind of team like last season, which isn't going to happen and probably will never happen again. Its always said about the Sabres being able to roll 4 lines last year, but the only reason for that was because the players they had grossly overachieved for what they were being payed last year and it all fit nicely under the cap. Now that those young players that played well had their contracts come up for renewal, they are getting paid alot closer to their play and its harder to have 4 full lines of guys playing really well.

Next season will be even harder when Brieres contract is up again, Drury and vanek all will be looking for more $$$ and the Sabres have no more cap room

No opne is making him out to be more then what he is, its more like some people can't understand how other can be so harsh on a guy who's making the near the league minimum, is liked by the coach and players, and contributes the occasional spark from a fight (and it was said by some players after the detroit game that it did help change the momentum)

Everyone expects the sabres to have the same kind of team like last season, which isn't going to happen and probably will never happen again. Its always said about the Sabres being able to roll 4 lines last year, but the only reason for that was because the players they had grossly overachieved for what they were being payed last year and it all fit nicely under the cap. Now that those young players that played well had their contracts come up for renewal, they are getting paid alot closer to their play and its harder to have 4 full lines of guys playing really well.

Next season will be even harder when Brieres contract is up again, Drury and vanek all will be looking for more $$$ and the Sabres have no more cap room

The Sabres will have some more cap room next year. For starters the cap is going up. Also, I would imagine that Teppo is probably going to retire, Biron is going to sign somewhere else and a cheaper alternative brought in. Gives the team a little more breathing room.

The Sabres will have some more cap room next year. For starters the cap is going up. Also, I would imagine that Teppo is probably going to retire, Biron is going to sign somewhere else and a cheaper alternative brought in. Gives the team a little more breathing room.

But is that cap space going to cover atleast Brieres 5 million (unless he gets another raise), Drury's increse to close to what Briere is making (he is a co-captain, and will probably want similar money) and an increase for Vanek who has been playing much better this year (I believe Vaneks contract is up at the end of this year)

You would also need to find a replacement for Teppo and Biron in that cap space. Biron is making little more then a decent backup goalie right now and teppo is making roughly what a decent defencemen will cost.

My point is, to stay good, and roll 4 lines like everyone wants, it is going to cost $$$ and its very hard to do without having a couple of rookies in the lineup, or a few lesser talented players on the roster.

I could understand all this hatred for Peters if he was being payed more then what he is, or it was like last year and the sabres could spare the extra $$$ under the cap to replace him with a kid in Rochester.

I think what this team needs is a genuine 4th line again. A so called energy line. I would call up Kaleta and trade for a legitimate rugged center-ice man. Novotny doesn't belong there, and quite frankly I'm not sure where he belongs on this team. Peters shouldn't be here anymore either.

I don't know if I'd get rid of Peters from the roster, but what a great point. We no longer roll 4 lines consistently...I don't know if our "4th line" is getting anywhere near the ice time they were last year, especially in the 3rd period, or in tight games. I'm all for bringing up Paille and putting him with Mair and a center who can actually do something. I don't want to cut Peters, but he was awful last night, and we need to get back to rolling 4 lines

Seems like a lot of people think Teppo is going to retire. I don't think so. Why should he? He's making $2.6 million per year to play on a cup contender. He's playing very well and in a valuable role -- about 20 min. per night, on the PP, etc. The coaches and management all seem to value highly what he brings to the table. Physically he seems fine. There are a few defensemen around the NHL in their upper 30s and lower 40s, and quite a few in their mid-30s -- it's not that unusual.

Now, this could change if he sustains a serious injury, but if not, I expect him back next year. He's a good player and with the emphasis we put on a mobile, accurate-passing defense, I think Lindy and Darcy will want him and pay him well to come back.

Seems like a lot of people think Teppo is going to retire. I don't think so. Why should he? He's making $2.6 million per year to play on a cup contender. He's playing very well and in a valuable role -- about 20 min. per night, on the PP, etc. The coaches and management all seem to value highly what he brings to the table. Physically he seems fine. There are a few defensemen around the NHL in their upper 30s and lower 40s, and quite a few in their mid-30s -- it's not that unusual.

Now, this could change if he sustains a serious injury, but if not, I expect him back next year. He's a good player and with the emphasis we put on a mobile, accurate-passing defense, I think Lindy and Darcy will want him and pay him well to come back.

I don't think he's necessarily going to retire (actually, I kind of doubt he will) but it's not a lock he'll be back with the Sabres next year. If Drury and Briere are both back, I don't see anyway Teppo's back unless he takes a huge pay cut. Yes the cap goes up ~$4MM next year (at least $2MM), but that $4MM will get eaten up very quickly with Chris, Danny, and Thomas. (Don't forget Derek, Jiri, Nathan, and Danny Paille are also RFA's and Mair is an UFA.) Even if Mair and Marty are replaced with cheaper parts, $6MM will get burned up pretty quickly if the team spends to the cap again. (Which, while likely is not an absolute certainty.)

If 1 captain is back, Teppo might be back (but I'd put the odds at less than 50/50), and if neither is, then Teppo is almost certainly back.

Neither captain coming back?? Go to the chalkboard and write "I am sorry for even thinking this" 1000 times. Get going mister! I'll be watching you. :beer:

Thats letting him off easy, I would have went old school (catholic school that is) and beaten his knuckles with a ruler and then the strap for a comment like that

Neither captain coming back?? Go to the chalkboard and write "I am sorry for even thinking this" 1000 times. Get going mister! I'll be watching you. :beer:

Darn, this flu is really starting to get to me. :doh:

Thats letting him off easy, I would have went old school (catholic school that is) and beaten his knuckles with a ruler and then the strap for a comment like that

At least I wasn't advocating for it. :lol:

Archived