I need a slug intervention..I'm feeling weak!!

LabattBlue

Dr Quinn Medicine Woman has said the Sabres will wear the old unies in any game they can clinch the Cup. TTFWIW, as Dave B would say. (Take that for what it's worth.)

I think it was mentioned during that discussion that a lot of factors could go into that.

But with the league not wearing 3rd jerseys next season, the original logo is going to go on hiatus next season, and its future is bleak after that. I doubt the team would miss the marketing opportunity to put the slug on any banners it wins, because those are the best marketing tools in any professional sport.

I love the original logo, but I just think this is the last year we'll see it on the uniforms, with all the rumors about circlular logos and verticle strips not working on the new Reebok uniforms. They'll still sell original logo merchandise, like they did during the black and red days, but it won't be what the team wears, and the team won't market it as aggressively as the slug.

Dr Quinn Medicine Woman has said the Sabres will wear the old unies in any game they can clinch the Cup. TTFWIW, as Dave B would say. (Take that for what it's worth.)

It doesn't matter what uniform they will be wearing on the ice at that time, the current logo is what they will be putting on the banner.

I still wonder if they will even use the third jerseys in the playoffs, Has any team every done this before? Also why would Quinn want the old logo on the banner the year he unveils a new logo that he wants to succeed? If Buffalo decides to use the old logo in the playoffs and on a championship banner, then the "slug" logo is as good as dead because obviously they don't one to promote the new one at all and for it to succeed.

I'm sorry, but besides having swords on it, I don't understand how the original is so great. It is old and dated, and the Buffalo looks like a child drew it. I'm not saying that the new one is much better, but I still don't get why everyone is drooling over the old one. But I guess I am also the only one that doesn't think the last logo looked like a goat head, and also that it was the best logo (with the red alternate ones the second best)

Really? How old am I? What other facets of my life am I to old to adapt to? What television shows do I watch? Music do I listen to? You know dick about me, Cletus. ;)

I'd have been more than happy to buy a new jersey if the damn thing didn't suck like a nickle on her period the day the rent was due.

Bingo.

I know more than you think. You watch reruns of Murder She Wrote and Quincy. You listen to Frank Sinatra and Lawrence Welk. And you hate on the slug.

:w00t:

LOL

The rule is called 'communication' between your family telling them you will not wear it if they buy it for you... :lol:

would you believe i actually sent an email to my dad to not purchase any slug merch. for xmas? i did. his response was something like "i can't believe you actually thought i would."

i love my dad.

as for the new form-fitting jerseys next season, i was just having that thought this morning on the drive into work...what happens to the throwbacks if no circular logos will work for the new style? honestly, with all these ridiculous changes in a sport teeming with tradition, i'd be happier if they just did away with all of the logos, put the word "buffalo" across the chest a la the colorado thirds, and went with either shade of blue.

speaking of the name vs. logo design, anyone remember the black jerseys the team wore in madison square garden that said just "new york" in white in the same style as the rangers' old blues? i think it was right after 9/11 or something. class move by the organization. wish we could pick those up.

finally, anyone know where i could buy one of those red thirds, personalized? been searching, but nothing solid available. yes, believe it or not, i like those things.

I have been going crazy trying to find a hooded sweatshirt with the old logo(decent design), but have had no luck so far. :(

The slug is EVERYWHERE and in a weak moment last week, I almost caved in and bought a sweatshirt with a slug on it. Please help me, my fellow slug haters, and give me the strength to continue to resist.

Thank you for your support! :) :)

i just bought a slug car magnet, now i need a new hat a decent jacket to replace my sabres goat hat and jacket

That's what he said a while back. Of course, back then there was talk of wearing the white throwbacks against the Canucks. In an interview last week, Larry said that won't happen (paraphrasing) "because the team can't get enough vintage white uniforms". WTF. The team can't find 20 proweight whites?

I also still am not certain why, after 3 months of season and another 2 months of knowing they were going to use 3rds this year, that there are still no outlets selling the Reebok version of the 3rd sweater. (If somebody knows of an outlet for that sweater, please let me know.)

So, although it was stated that the team would wear throwbacks to win the SC at home, I am not expecting it. :angry:

Anybody who desperately wants an old-school logo on a hoodie should just do what I did. Buy a plain old grey/white hoodie from Dick's for 10 bucks... go to Chris Creamer's Sports Logo page and download the old school logo... print it onto one of those iron-on decal papers you can get from any arts/crafts store and iron the thing on. It's a simple but great looking hoodie.

In fact, since I've washed it a couple times (something you try not to do much with iron on decals) it has started to fade/crackle a little bit and it actually looks like a hoodie that was purchased 15-20 years ago and therefore adds to the retro/nostaligiac feel of it.

Seriously, its pretty easy to do and it satisfied my craving for an old school logo hoodie when I was looking for one last year!

That's what he said a while back. Of course, back then there was talk of wearing the white throwbacks against the Canucks. In an interview last week, Larry said that won't happen (paraphrasing) "because the team can't get enough vintage white uniforms". WTF. The team can't find 20 proweight whites?

I also still am not certain why, after 3 months of season and another 2 months of knowing they were going to use 3rds this year, that there are still no outlets selling the Reebok version of the 3rd sweater. (If somebody knows of an outlet for that sweater, please let me know.)

So, although it was stated that the team would wear throwbacks to win the SC at home, I am not expecting it. :angry:

If the pro-weight jerseys don't exist, I imagine producing only 20 of them might be cost prohibitive. They would probably have to make more a hell of a lot more than 20 to justify the production run.

Reebok probably figures that they have the vintage white market covered with the replica jerseys CCM makes (there were three on the rack (XXL) in the Sabres store last Friday). They probably believe that the demand for $260 pro-weight jerseys worn in one game doesn't justify the production costs. Especially when the demand for other Sabres merchandise is completely out of control right now.

It's too bad, it would have been cool to see the original Sabres and Canucks jerseys.

I must confess and be further healed! MY name is EII:

:bag: Before I was HEALED and in a moment of weakness I too purchased some SlugoWear while home during T-Day... The SlugPusher you ask?... The heathen at the corner of Harlem and Mineral Springs... Bought my son a Slug knit and myself a baseball cap... And I wearily confess a pink knit Slugo for my poor innocent daughter...:bag:

In further weakness, wore the Slugo to the BFLO-JAX game... THE BILLS WON WITH ZERO ON THE CLOCK... :blush:

I since come to my senses and denounce the purchase... My hat sits silently forever on a hook.

I thought it would grow on me... I am such a follower... That is what happens when you opt for the cheap knock-offs!

My poor wayward and misguided (of course with due blame on myself) son you ask?... What became of him?

Well, he wore his Slugo to church (he attends a Catholic school)... And from what he says: "Forgot it"... It has never shown up since! Let me be HEALED... There is a God... True story!

The pink knit... Burning in abomination at the bottom of our hat basket!

I have since purchased the retro from the Lids post here!

Now all say in your best AA voice recite with a resounding:

"Thanks EII."

:D

What about the "form fitting" thing... Some say the slugo was made for that?

Because Reebok wants to push those jerseys when they come out...

My wife commented how the Slug looks like the Rams (St. Louis) logo... Was that designed by Reebok too?

I actually warned everyone in my family and the little woman's not to by anything with "that abomination" on it for me this christmas.

If someone bought me anything with that on it, I would say thank you and be nice about it. The second I got home, I would piss directly on it. Then burn it.

Unless of course it was a jersey, which I would then fleece some deluded fool into overpaying for on EBAY...

Labbat Blue's plea for help moved me to end my years of lurking and register on this board. I posted the following on another Sabres board a couple of months ago. If you have read it there then I apologize for the repeat but it is how I still feel today and how I will feel to the day I die:

I?ve been reading this board for months but have remained a lurker because I find writing to be an unpleasant process. However, I have forced myself to put up with the mild pain because I feel I owe a huge thanks to the fans on this board who have continued to speak up against this slug smear abomination.

Although the team?s performance is obviously cause for excitement, it is understandable that many long time fans feel both angry and depressed to see Larry Quinn?s arrogant vanity project purporting to represent the Buffalo Sabres.

Please don?t give up the cause of bringing back the real Sabres logo. It is a symbol worth fighting for. Buffalo didn?t win a Stanley Cup in the 70s or 80s but that doesn?t mean that we should break our link to those teams. I?m sure there are many like me whose happiest childhood memories are the games they went to during the Punch Imlach era.

My family had season tickets from my formative years of 1970 thru 1985, so not surprisingly the Sabres were the closest thing I had to a religion. The crest was something I became deeply attached to because although favorite players inevitably were traded or retired, the blue & gold and crossed swords remained a rock solid constant.

The Knox brothers were pure class because they never trashed the symbol and colors in order to promote a corporation (Adelphia Goat Heads) or make a quick short term buck. No doubt they understood that the logo took on more meaning with the passage of time and helped cement a bond between generations of Sabres fans.

Today, that bond is clearly broken. Instead of feeling a sense of camaraderie with all Sabre fans, I?m not alone in feeling pretty negative towards those who have purchased slug merchandise instead of the authentic stuff. It seems like a slap in the faces of all who wore the uniform during the first quarter century. Instead of embracing Sabres history, slug followers are rejecting it.

My first child is almost two and we plan on having a couple more over the next few years. I want the Sabres programs, mugs, pucks, pennants, posters and cards that I saved from my childhood to have some real meaning to my kids. If the slug survives, that is far less likely to happen.

So, to all of you who keep posting in the Jersey Talk forum: thanks again for fighting the good fight. Don?t let anyone convince you that your cause is trivial. Memories and attachments are not trivial. If you are old enough to remember the fog game then undoubtedly most of the things from your childhood are gone. The real Sabres logo is something we shouldn?t have to give up.

IF the slug jersey is going to be successful? IF? Merchandise sales are up 1100 percent. There's no question that the slug logo, from a merchandise sales perspective is successful. It's wildly successful.

The Slug logo is not successful. The team is successful. The Sabres could have put a steaming pile of dog crap, gold-colored of course, as the logo and it would still sell as well. Buffalo as a city is desperate for a successful team. The Bills, primary benefactor of the populace, have continually let them down since the forward lateral. The Sabres made it to the conference finals last year. They're top in the eastern conference. They've set and tied league-wide records for wins to start the season. They're fun to watch. They're dominating. And they're selling jerseys. Do not correlate the afterbirth's sales with its success.

The Slug logo is not successful. The team is successful. The Sabres could have put a steaming pile of dog crap, gold-colored of course, as the logo and it would still sell as well. Buffalo as a city is desperate for a successful team. The Bills, primary benefactor of the populace, have continually let them down since the forward lateral. The Sabres made it to the conference finals last year. They're top in the eastern conference. They've set and tied league-wide records for wins to start the season. They're fun to watch. They're dominating. And they're selling jerseys. Do not correlate the afterbirth's sales with its success.

Good job.

Someone has 3 NEW blue & gold original logo jerseys on ebay. Start price is $20 each, I think. Also several large patches/crests that would go on the front of a jersey-great for a DIY'er who wants to make a seweatshirt or something... Search under "sabres old"

Wasn't funny or original the first time. I'd say "keep trying" but that'd just encourage your pedestrian sense of humor to new levels of lameness.

Who pissed in your prune juice this morning?

"Why, in MY day, the team wore a buffalo with crossed swords and we LIKED IT!"

Is there any way to get a new "blank" jersey and have the old crest stitched on the front? Maybe that would be the best of both worlds? One thing I think will happen is that other teams will start to put the small numbers on the chest like Buffalo has done this year. Don't think that other teams and their moneymaking machines haven't been paying attention to how much new Sabres merchandise is selling. One thing is for sure, the passion we fans have regarding the logo (good or bad) is a great thing.

Labbat Blue's plea for help moved me to end my years of lurking and register on this board. I posted the following on another Sabres board a couple of months ago. If you have read it there then I apologize for the repeat but it is how I still feel today and how I will feel to the day I die:

I?ve been reading this board for months but have remained a lurker because I find writing to be an unpleasant process. However, I have forced myself to put up with the mild pain because I feel I owe a huge thanks to the fans on this board who have continued to speak up against this slug smear abomination.

Although the team?s performance is obviously cause for excitement, it is understandable that many long time fans feel both angry and depressed to see Larry Quinn?s arrogant vanity project purporting to represent the Buffalo Sabres.

Please don?t give up the cause of bringing back the real Sabres logo. It is a symbol worth fighting for. Buffalo didn?t win a Stanley Cup in the 70s or 80s but that doesn?t mean that we should break our link to those teams. I?m sure there are many like me whose happiest childhood memories are the games they went to during the Punch Imlach era.

My family had season tickets from my formative years of 1970 thru 1985, so not surprisingly the Sabres were the closest thing I had to a religion. The crest was something I became deeply attached to because although favorite players inevitably were traded or retired, the blue & gold and crossed swords remained a rock solid constant.

The Knox brothers were pure class because they never trashed the symbol and colors in order to promote a corporation (Adelphia Goat Heads) or make a quick short term buck. No doubt they understood that the logo took on more meaning with the passage of time and helped cement a bond between generations of Sabres fans.

Today, that bond is clearly broken. Instead of feeling a sense of camaraderie with all Sabre fans, I?m not alone in feeling pretty negative towards those who have purchased slug merchandise instead of the authentic stuff. It seems like a slap in the faces of all who wore the uniform during the first quarter century. Instead of embracing Sabres history, slug followers are rejecting it.

My first child is almost two and we plan on having a couple more over the next few years. I want the Sabres programs, mugs, pucks, pennants, posters and cards that I saved from my childhood to have some real meaning to my kids. If the slug survives, that is far less likely to happen.

So, to all of you who keep posting in the Jersey Talk forum: thanks again for fighting the good fight. Don?t let anyone convince you that your cause is trivial. Memories and attachments are not trivial. If you are old enough to remember the fog game then undoubtedly most of the things from your childhood are gone. The real Sabres logo is something we shouldn?t have to give up.

Nice post rook. Even though I believe the battle is lost, it doesn't mean I have to wear my enemies colors now(or logo). :D

Welcome aboard.

Anybody old enough to remember the original "Sabre Jac"?... Those had the first attempt at marketing pro team merchandise in the early 1970's?...

I still remember going to AM&A's or was it Penny's to get one of those originals... God awful style by today's fashion and tech... But... Still the classic crest and colors...

Rook's post has strengthened me and helps further denounce my past and errant ways!

:D

I still remember going to AM&A's or was it Penny's to get one of those originals... God awful style by today's fashion and tech... But... Still the classic crest and colors...

The "We'll AM&A-ze you" jingle will now be in my head for the rest of the afternoon.

Archived