I need a slug intervention..I'm feeling weak!!

LabattBlue

Over on the Sabres.com boards there was an interesting slug-protest idea put forth.

After Sabres goals, throw a banana on the ice. Banana slugs are difficult to find and are kinda slimy to carry in your pocket. Actual bananas however are cheap and won't mess up the ice.

I like the concept...it would draw deserved ridicule to the snot smear while still celebrating Sabres success.

I wouldn't want to see banana's raining down like the Florida's plastic rats or anything, but a couple bananas on the ice after goals (or maybe at the end of a win "You Got Slugged!") would probably get picked up by Sportscenter, the Buff news, et. al.

Thoughts?

The evil empire that created the new logo. ;) Lighten up a bit. You like the new logo. I don't like it and never will.

Actually, I don't like the slug all that much (I definitely prefer the original logo), but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bothers many on this board. I own jerseys and merchandise with the original logo, goat head and slug on it.

I don't mean to offend anyone. I just want to engage in disucussion with those who have a more strident opinion than mine.

Over on the Sabres.com boards there was an interesting slug-protest idea put forth.

After Sabres goals, throw a banana on the ice. Banana slugs are difficult to find and are kinda slimy to carry in your pocket. Actual bananas however are cheap and won't mess up the ice.

I like the concept...it would draw deserved ridicule to the snot smear while still celebrating Sabres success.

Thoughts?

:thumbsup: Good idea!

Personally, I like the idea of a well loaded Kleenex... Maybe full of Guldens Mustard?

The kids got slug stuff for Christmas. I honestly like the colors and it wouldn't be that bad, except for the loogey on it. I think the reason why the stuff is selling so well is that people also hated the Goathead. There was no way I was buying that thing. After 10 years of refusing to buy Goathead stuff, there is a willingness to buy something...

Actually, I don't like the slug all that much (I definitely prefer the original logo), but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bothers many on this board. I own jerseys and merchandise with the original logo, goat head and slug on it.

I don't mean to offend anyone. I just want to engage in disucussion with those who have a more strident opinion than mine.

No offense taken. My opinion on the slug is here to stay. ;)

I've been slugged!!!!! Saw a neat Sabres sweatshirt at a local store in Roch before x-mas. Blue with the new Sabres script and a small B with the Sabre thru it beneath-NO SLUG. Cool shirt. Never bought it and was at a couple other outlets of the same store taht didn't have it. Yesterday my wife came home with a surprise. A new Sabres sweatshirt...but with the slug. Nice shirt, dark blue with "Sabres" stitched on in suede and in a very faint faded blue-gray the slug in the background of abut 1/3 of the word "Sabres" She said the other one wasn't as nice as this and cost more (this was $40 marked down to $20) and the other one wasn't on sale. The slug is relatively small and in the background and NOT bright yellow. I can live with it...it is a nice shirt...but I feel like I've gone over to the dark side...

I would buy a ton of stuff if I could find more items with just the B/sword through it alternate logo, or even if it was the main logo and the slug was a background or secondary item.

The wife got this stuff at Kohls in Rochester (the Henrietta store)-so Kohls in Bflo may have them. I also saw a shirt with the stabbed B instead of the slug in the mall here in Greece in a shop that sells all team shirts/jerseys/jackets. That one's an independent place-not part of a chain. keep looking, this stuff is out there.

Not in Cleveland... :(

Thanks for the tip on where to find in Rochester though - I will be back in that area later this month and might have to make a side trip to look for some stuff. I was in the Rochester area before Christmas but I couldn't find anything. Hell, the day after Christmas I went to Laux in the Summit Park Mall (Niagara Falls) and the only thing they had was slug merchandise (9 racks of sweatshirts, t-shirts and fleeces) - nothing with the alternate "B" log or the original logo.

Guess I'll have to keep looking on eBay in the meantime...

speaking of the name vs. logo design, anyone remember the black jerseys the team wore in madison square garden that said just "new york" in white in the same style as the rangers' old blues? i think it was right after 9/11 or something. class move by the organization. wish we could pick those up.

i found it. www.nhluniforms.com...'01-'02 season...they picture the home whites, but it was the black roads that buffalo used. quip says they were auctioned after the game. i bet those'd fetch a bit of coin these days. anyone care? should i shut up about this?

will, I am still looking for online confirmation to post, but I am reasonably sure that the Sabres wore the whites with the words "New York" running diagonally down the chest (like the Rangers) and the Rangers wore their blues that night. I saw the Messier tribute on MSG which featured that night, and there is a photo of him wearing the fireman's hat on the NYR website, and he is clearly wearing the blue.

Anyway to go back to my original thought on this post - I need a new jersey. I have been wearing the white goathead jersey and it seems to have lost its mojo - we have been playing poorly when I wear it. We'll really see when the wife and I go to Columbus for the Blue Jackets game, where I'll be rocking the white goathead, since it's the only Sabres jersey I own.

Gotta find me a vintage one that won't take two months to get it...

Well, time for me to stir the pot.

The frickin slug is all over the place and it is not on even ground with the original logo merchandise. If it WAS, then I firmly believe all the original merchandise (including jerseys) would be badly out-selling the sluggalo merchandise. But in my opinion, that was precisely the plan (by Quinn or whoever). The Sabres knew people would choose the original stuff over slugged garbage, so with the exception of jerseys, they flooded the market with slug merchandise and held back on vintage stuff. I went to four f-ing stores today looking for a simple baseball cap with an original logo on it and no slug (I would even take the "B" with sword." At Laux in the Boulevard Mall they had literally THREE non-slugged hats left--2 with the moronic brim that is flat across, and the other had messed up stitching. Meanwhile, there were easily over 50 slug hats. Great Skate and Dick's had nothing but slug hats, and Sorentinos...well, I don't even wanna talk about that place. So looks like I have to get my ass down to the Sabres store, but bottom line is if there was equal distribution of merchandise I believe the old stuff would easily out-sell the new junk, which then proves that the theory "most people like the slug now" is be incorrect. The team is hot, so people will buy anything that represents it, even if that means buying merchandise they don't like.

If it WAS, then I firmly believe all the original merchandise (including jerseys) would be badly out-selling the sluggalo merchandise.

I respectfully disagree.

We guys on this board are the hardest of the hardcore fans, and the above is probably correct if you're just talking about us.

But the average fan (the other 99%) just wants to wear what the team is wearing, more than what the team wore 20 years ago.

I think it's really that simple.

FWIW, I like the new logo ALOT more than the Goathead. Never did care for the design or the colors of the Goat.

So looks like I have to get my ass down to the Sabres store, but bottom line is if there was equal distribution of merchandise I believe the old stuff would easily out-sell the new junk, which then proves that the theory "most people like the slug now" is be incorrect. The team is hot, so people will buy anything that represents it, even if that means buying merchandise they don't like.

You will have some luck at the Sabres store finding old logo hats and a couple of t-shirts with the old logo on it, but when you compare it to how much slug merchandise is at the store, it is clear what they are pushing.

The thing that is frustrating to me, is if you have a nice design with the old logo on a t-shirt, how hard would it be to put that same design on a sweatshirt?

Anyone in Roch catch the RNews piece on the guy form LA, originally from Rochester who made the documentary on the F-word?? He's in town for the Rochester showing and he's wearing an old school white Sabres jersey in the interview. There's a short version they show where you just see the v-neck and a bit of the blue sboulders and there's a longer version where you see the whole thing. Thought that was cool!

Archived