Briere/Drury Update

Allan in MD

The Devils game showed how truly valuable Briere is to this team. Taking nothing away from Drury, the fact that he did not play and the team still excelled was meaningful in the context of which of the two should be re-signed, if it comes down to that (hopefully it won't). Granted it was only one game, but it pointed me toward Briere, at this point in time, as being the guy we must keep.

As far as the argument about Drury being the guy to win key faceoffs, it was impressive how well the team did without him. Gaustad appeared to be out there for about every key draw, especially late in the game.

I don't want to get into the whole Danny vs. Drury debate again, but to say that the team is OK without Drury because they won in the second game he's missed over the last two years is a bit of a stretch, IMO. As for the faceoffs, the team did do pretty good in his absence - but even with Goose on the ice at the end, Lindy chose to have Novotny take the draw - and we know how that turned out.

Last year Danny missed 34 games and the team did OK in his absence. In fact, the team was 15-5-4 for the 24 games Danny missed between Dec. 17 and Mar 1 (his sports hernia.) Sounds to me like this is a pretty damn good team who has the depth and confidence that someone can and will step up when one of the regulars/stars goes down.

Fact is that no matter what anyone says, Drury is a clutch player, a winner, and a team leader; and Danny is a great offensive talent and also a team leader, and the Sabres need to do everything possible to find a way to keep them both without sacrificing young core players.

There are still 50+ regular season games to go and then the playoffs to help Darcy decide who is worth what money next year, but if the Sabres do end up having to pick between them, then Darcy is really going to earn his money. No matter who they keep, half the fans will be pissed that the other guy was let go.

The Devils game showed how truly valuable Briere is to this team. Taking nothing away from Drury, the fact that he did not play and the team still excelled was meaningful in the context of which of the two should be re-signed, if it comes down to that (hopefully it won't). Granted it was only one game, but it pointed me toward Briere, at this point in time, as being the guy we must keep.

As far as the argument about Drury being the guy to win key faceoffs, it was impressive how well the team did without him. Gaustad appeared to be out there for about every key draw, especially late in the game.

Last season the Sabres had a higher winning % when Briere was out then when he played. Look it up. ;)

Yeah you can't go by one game. Briere stepped up and played great, no doubt, but one night doesn't prove anything in this debate. No matter who they lose, he will be missed.

Gaustad is a good faceoff guy, but he's left-handed and that's why Novotny was taking that late draw to the right of Miller ... you want to win that draw to the boards. (of course it could be argued you just want to win it SOMEWHERE, but ... whatever) Point is, on a team where puck posession is everything, Drury winning faceoffs should not be dismissed as no big deal because Gaustad is pretty good.

In my typically wishy-washy fashion, I can concur with Allan's sentiment on some level, but will also agree that a single game should not resolve the issue (assuming this is an either/or issue).

I do have to say, though, that Briere's game last night gave me pause, as it did for Allan, and made me wonder whether the Sabres would have won that particular game had Danny been out with the flu, and Drury playing healthy. No one on the team (other than Connolly) can make primary assists like we saw on the second and third goals nearly as consistently as Briere (Roy and Vanek are in the coversation, but not at that level) -- as for Drury, he's just not imaginative with the puck.

Still, each guy brings different things to the table. I hope and pray their combined leadership and talents bring home the hardware in June 2007.

Last season the Sabres had a higher winning % when Briere was out then when he played. Look it up. ;)

Which proves nothing more than "stats can only tell part of any story."

At the end of the day, it'd be really great to keep both of these guys. Neither is easily replaced, especially when the games REALLY matter.

I'm going on sabbatical from the Drury v. Briere debate until the end of the season, but I will leave everyone with one thought. It's not as simple as saying lets re-sign one or the other regardless of salary. To me, Breire is worth more($$$) than Drury, so it's more a case of Drury at 3.5-4 mil a year or Briere at 5-6 mil per year. I think Darcy is nuts if he gives more than 4 mil to Drury. If they can sign them both at these salaries, great. If they can only sign one, better hope Connolly can come back completely. Otherwise , there will be a major hole to fill in the offense. If they lose both, it could be a huge setback for the team.

I will continue this debate 7 months from now.

You gotta sign both of these guys, even if it means getting rid of some other players. It's not just the goals that they score or their assists - it's when in the game they light the lamp or shell out a crucial assist. These guys score clutch goals at critical times. If necessary, create some cap room - trade Kalinin and Kotalik for a bag of pucks and a draft pick, let Marty walk. You then have $5M to work with.

Which proves nothing more than "stats can only tell part of any story."

At the end of the day, it'd be really great to keep both of these guys. Neither is easily replaced, especially when the games REALLY matter.

Or? It proves that no single part is greater than the whole.

I think someone mentioned that already... :thumbsup:

Last year Danny missed 34 games and the team did OK in his absence. In fact, the team was 15-5-4 for the 24 games Danny missed between Dec. 17 and Mar 1 (his sports hernia.) Sounds to me like this is a pretty damn good team who has the depth and confidence that someone can and will step up when one of the regulars/stars goes down.

You gotta sign both of these guys, even if it means getting rid of some other players. It's not just the goals that they score or their assists - it's when in the game they light the lamp or shell out a crucial assist. These guys score clutch goals at critical times. If necessary, create some cap room - trade Kalinin and Kotalik for a bag of pucks and a draft pick, let Marty walk. You then have $5M to work with.

The problem with that thinking is that it can quickly lead to us becoming what we're not - a one-line team with little or no depth, because most of the salary cap space is tied up in a handful of players (see Lightning, Tampa Bay.)

Not necessarily. Cutting loose a forward and a defensemen for cap reasons won't reduce your depth to one line and will hardly affect the team. It may even improve the team because it creates slots for guys like Paetch and Stafford, while allowing you to keep Briere and Drury. You can rationalize these guys away all you want, but they are currently the heart and soul of the team.

No one is rationalizing these guys away. Just saying that if you start throwing a ton of money at 2, 3, 4 guys then eventually it will affect your roster, and not in a good way. Yes, it <i>will</i> create opportunities for younger players to step in, but I don't want to be rushing guys into the lineup who are not yet ready, nor do I want to see the team scouring the waiver wire to pick up guys like Andre Roy.

Like I said, we don't want to turn into Tampa, who has over 1/2 of their payroll tied up in three players. I am all for keeping both guys here, but not if it means we have to start losing core players from the roster.

No one is rationalizing these guys away. Just saying that if you start throwing a ton of money at 2, 3, 4 guys then eventually it will affect your roster, and not in a good way. Yes, it <i>will</i> create opportunities for younger players to step in, but I don't want to be rushing guys into the lineup who are not yet ready, nor do I want to see the team scouring the waiver wire to pick up guys like Andre Roy.

Like I said, we don't want to turn into Tampa, who has over 1/2 of their payroll tied up in three players. I am all for keeping both guys here, but not if it means we have to start losing core players from the roster.

Really? Anaheim is spending almost $13 million on Niedermeyer and Pronger. They paying almost $4 million on Guigere, and $3.75 million on Selanne. Approximately $20 million for four players. How they doing this year?

How it's working out for one team this year is irrelevant to the way the Sabres' payroll is set up. Look at Tampa - they have $20M+ locked up in three players - Vinny, St. Louis and Richards - and are in 4th place in the Southeast and under .500 for the year.

Yes, Anaheim has been successful so far with a lineup that relies on a handful of players. We've been successful with a deep lineup that, when healthy, rolls four lines throughout the game. I don't want to see the team become a one-trick pony by blowing the team's payroll structure to keep one or two star guys but sacrificing two or three key players as a result.

How it's working out for one team this year is irrelevant to the way the Sabres' payroll is set up. Look at Tampa - they have $20M+ locked up in three players - Vinny, St. Louis and Richards - and are in 4th place in the Southeast and under .500 for the year.

Yes, Anaheim has been successful so far with a lineup that relies on a handful of players. We've been successful with a deep lineup that, when healthy, rolls four lines throughout the game. I don't want to see the team become a one-trick pony by blowing the team's payroll structure to keep one or two star guys but sacrificing two or three key players as a result.

So Anaheim's payroll is irrelevant to the way the Sabres payroll is set up, but Tampa's is relevent? How does that make sense? If Buffalo drafted as poorly as Tampa Bay, I'd agree with you. If Tampa's sub-$1million players produced as well as Vanek, Roy, Gaustad, and Pomminstein, the Lightning wouldn't be a sub-.500 team in 4th place in the Southeast.

So let's take a look at the Sabres next season. Can Paestch replace Kalinin? Can Sekera replace the 39 year old Numminem? Can Stafford or Paille replace Kotalik? None of those changes prevent the Sabres from being a 4 line team. When Biron is replaced by a true #2 goalie, the Sabres gain around 5 million back under the cap.

That $5 million will more than cover the increases to Briere and Drury, and the leftover amount along with the increase in the cap will help them re-sign their RFAs.

Worried about Tommy G's money again I see. He'll be fine. He saved a bunch tonight at Applebees. I was there. Saw him get a half off appetizer and a glass of ice water. Handed the waitress his discount card and threw down a buck on the table for a tip. On his way out, I swear he grabbed some food off a table that hadn't been cleaned up yet. And his pockets were jammed with straws. I swear on the grave of Morris Titanic.

Don't forget napkins and sugar packets!

Really? Anaheim is spending almost $13 million on Niedermeyer and Pronger. They paying almost $4 million on Guigere, and $3.75 million on Selanne. Approximately $20 million for four players. How they doing this year?

Yeah, I think TB problems start with the fact that not all their big $$$ guys are playing like they are being paid. They may also consider investing a little coin in the goaltending situation. Whatever they got now ain't working.

So Anaheim's payroll is irrelevant to the way the Sabres payroll is set up, but Tampa's is relevent? How does that make sense? If Buffalo drafted as poorly as Tampa Bay, I'd agree with you. If Tampa's sub-$1million players produced as well as Vanek, Roy, Gaustad, and Pomminstein, the Lightning wouldn't be a sub-.500 team in 4th place in the Southeast.

So let's take a look at the Sabres next season. Can Paestch replace Kalinin? Can Sekera replace the 39 year old Numminem? Can Stafford or Paille replace Kotalik? None of those changes prevent the Sabres from being a 4 line team. When Biron is replaced by a true #2 goalie, the Sabres gain around 5 million back under the cap.

That $5 million will more than cover the increases to Briere and Drury, and the leftover amount along with the increase in the cap will help them re-sign their RFAs.

Why would you want to get ride of Kalinin?

Anyway.

You can't throw the entire balance of the Sabres salary structure out of balance. If you give Briere $6+ million a year then what do you tell Max when he shows up at Regier's door looking for equal money. He is every bit the player Briere is. And what do you pay Vanek? Who, unlike Briere is developing his game at both ends of the ice. And let's not forget Miller. Miller may be the Sabres best player. What if he decides he wants to be paid like the Sabre best player.

Keeping the balance of salary and ego is job I do not envy. Its' a great problem to have. A roster full of talented palyers. But it's a problem at contract time none the less.

Worried about Tommy G's money again I see. He'll be fine. He saved a bunch tonight at Applebees. I was there. Saw him get a half off appetizer and a glass of ice water. Handed the waitress his discount card and threw down a buck on the table for a tip. On his way out, I swear he grabbed some food off a table that hadn't been cleaned up yet. And his pockets were jammed with straws. I swear on the grave of Morris Titanic.

The legend continues to grow!! :lol: :lol:

Why would you want to get ride of Kalinin?

Anyway.

You can't throw the entire balance of the Sabres salary structure out of balance. If you give Briere $6+ million a year then what do you tell Max when he shows up at Regier's door looking for equal money. He is every bit the player Briere is. And what do you pay Vanek? Who, unlike Briere is developing his game at both ends of the ice. And let's not forget Miller. Miller may be the Sabres best player. What if he decides he wants to be paid like the Sabre best player.

Keeping the balance of salary and ego is job I do not envy. Its' a great problem to have. A roster full of talented palyers. But it's a problem at contract time none the less.

What I want or don't want really doesn't apply here. The goal is to continue to roll 4 lines as long as possible, agreed? Briere, a top 3 center, is a key to achieving that goal. Kalinin isn't even a top 4 defensemen. It's easier to replace Kalinin (a #5 Dman) next season with Paetsch, Funk, or Card, than it is to replace Briere. It's a no-brainer really, Kalinin is more easily replaceable than Briere or Drury, so you use his salary to keep Briere and Drury.

As to your second point, just about every player is going to leave the Sabres some day. The goal is to prolong their stay here as long as it benefits the team. Miller and Afinogenov are under contract for a couple more years. Two years is a long time in the NHL. The Sabres could win two Cups during that time; the salary cap could increase $4 to $6 million; A rookie could make one of these guys tradebait (like Kotalik this season), or Miller or Afinogenov could bust. It makes absolutely no sense to jeopardize the Sabres chances over the next two seasons, just because the team is worried about paying a guy in '09.

Vanek is still an RFA, (with no arbitration rights this year I believe). He won't make the big bucks until he earns arbitration and then UFA rights. The Sabres will continue to use that as a tool to keep the team together. So now they are in the same situation with Vanek as they are with Miller and Afinogenov. His big payday is a couple/few years down the road; a very long time in the NHL.

There are not many teams in the NHL that can roll 4 lines. Not many are 5 deep at center (Drury, Connolly, Roy, and Gaustad). This is a competitive edge that is worth keeping. It will result in many wins in the regular season and playoffs over the next couple of seasons, before other big contracts come due. It's worth replacing a #5 defenseman, a 39 year old defenseman, and a 20 goal winger, especially since the Sabres have their replacements already lined up.

Don't forget napkins and sugar packets!

Yeah, I think TB problems start with the fact that not all their big $$$ guys are playing like they are being paid. They may also consider investing a little coin in the goaltending situation. Whatever they got now ain't working.

It goes to building around a plan. I think the Sabres rank the positions like this:

1. Goaltending

2. Center

3. Defense

4. Wingers

That's why they'll hold onto Biron until he's an UFA. And why they chose to pay Briere over Dumont and McKee last season. This year, since Miller is locked up for a few years, they'll focus on bringing back Drury and Briere. Anyway, that's my opinion, based upon what I've seen.

It goes to building around a plan. I think the Sabres rank the positions like this:

1. Goaltending

2. Center

3. Defense

4. Wingers

That's why they'll hold onto Biron until he's an UFA. And why they chose to pay Briere over Dumont and McKee last season. This year, since Miller is locked up for a few years, they'll focus on bringing back Drury and Briere. Anyway, that's my opinion, based upon what I've seen.

Close. Flip 2 and 3 and you have it.

Archived