What is the craziest thing you have done to support your Sabres?

DR HOLLIDAY

For most of the 90's, before I started my real career, I worked at a hotel in Downtown Toronto.........For several of those years a cable sports channel had their head offices in our building..........I Managed to meet many sport stars and retired ones, no Sabres however, some ex-Sabres though, Foligno, Andreychek.........Anyways during the balloting for the NHL awards one year, a reporter left his bag for several days in our storage closet, no tip may I add............In a small paper bag were the ballots for the NHL awards and a fed-ex package already to go........the ballots were colour co-ordinated and only half of them were filled out...........I thought nothing of it, during my days off the luggage was picked up but not the ballots and fed-ex envelope..........Hmmmmmm, should I fill out the rest of the ballots and drop the package off at the fed-ex box..........Well being super nervous, I filled the rest of the ballots out and picked all Sabres when I could, including my favourite Sabre at the time, Mike Peca..........Anyways I filled them all out and did up the fed-ex envelope and proceeded to calmly send it, it had a pre-paid account #...........Anyways I felt kind of evil but I like democracy by the people, so what the hell..........Mr.Peca won the Selke that year and that made me chuckle............By the way the reporter never came back looking for his ballots................Anyone else have any stories?

I spend a lot of money on Center Ice and buy tickets whenever they come to DC. I always try to go to at least one home game.

I do what I can! I never miss a game, either.

Now, come to think of it, I was in Chicago for Memorial Day, and I used my laptop and my Slingbox (at home) to watch 2 games of the ECF from my hotel room. That's pretty dedicated!

when I was in college in the fall of 1990, they announced very late that they would be retiring Gilbert Perreault's number. I was going to school at IUP, about a 4 hour drive south of Buffalo ... my best friend from HS was at Syracuse ... I left at lunchtime, drove up, met him for dinner, we went to the game, and we both drove back to school right after the game ... I don't think I bothered getting up for class but it was well worth it. I made that drive many times for a Sabres or Bills game, but that was the most memorable ... I think i only drove through the night after a game one other time, when the Bills lost to Denver in the home opener on a Sunday night in 1994 ...

A couple years later we decided at 6 p.m. Friday that we were going to go see the Sabres play in Montreal the next day ... I immediately drove to Buffalo, and Saturday morning we drove to Montreal (no tickets or any idea where we were going, mind you). We got there, started calling ticket brokers in the newspaper until we found tickets, the guy delivered them to our hotel room, and we experienced the Forum the year before they closed it down. Again, well worth it.

I bought season tickets (for my first and only time) during the dismal 2002-2003 season of bankruptcy, NHL ownership, winning only 27 games, and the loss of Stu Barnes (which hit me pretty hard at the time). It was my only time because I moved out of Buffalo after that year, otherwise I would have done it again.

It was the first time that I had disposable income, I was living in Buffalo, and they were saying that the team was in trouble if they didn't sell tickets that year. So I bellied up the bar. It was great fun at some points. I took my parents and friends to many games, I saw Ryan Miller's first game as a Sabre, and really got to know some great fans in my section, but man sometimes that season was BRUTAL.

I think I deserve a complimentary ticket to a playoff game for sitting through that season.

I didn't drink a single drop of alcohol during the playoff run last year due to superstition. I'd call that crazy.

i swear to this day that alcohol kept me alive throughout the playoffs last year...otherwise, i would have had a heart attack at 26.

playoffs = no shaving

I didn't drink a single drop of alcohol during the playoff run last year due to superstition. I'd call that crazy.

damn thats like saying that you gave up sex for a playoff run. Both of these are things i wouldn't do.... instead, i have been known to streak after a sabres series victory :D

I put a 20 foot flagpole up in the front of my house with a Sabres flag flying along with old Glory. I wear Sabres jerseys whenever I can in the middle of "phlyer country" - and believe me, this is not something you get away with around here easily. I drove from Allentown PA to Buffalo 6 times with my wife, three daughters and three of those times with a sister-in-law and nephew (Anyone with three daughters understands what that is like. I think I know every rest stop from Binghampton to Buffalo like the back of my hand). The girls range from 9-13 now, so I started when the youngest was 3! I have directv, in an area where my local sports chanel is not available (this is no loss at all because it is philly comcast - so the only games I don't get, everyone else in the area does). But I don't miss any Sabre games that are broadcast - I work midnights and use comp time when they are on the coast -this year is easy!

I got punched in the jaw once because I told a drunk Leafs fan in Hong Kong that

Tim Horton died a Sabre.

He didn't like that very much.

Dude. Ouch.

I went to a game in Toronto and after the Sabres won I started throwing out US quarters to the leafs fans and told them to buy a car..house.. etc..etc..

now that I think about it, that was just kinda mean.

Didn't shave for my best friend from high schools wedding and looked like a slob because we were rollin right along in the playoffs last year. I told him I had no problem being there for him and in the wedding but for the dress rehersal (game 1 of the Ottawa series) I had to watch the game... needless to say I ate dinner during intermiission and ran back out to the bar. All the guys quickly followed.

Not to mention I haden't shaved in almost 3 weeks.

:oops:

Archived