So the Sabres can't make a profit, even in the playoffs?

PromoTheRobot

Me and my buddy thought of this at the Rangers game friday. It's so freakin' obvious, I'm surprised there isn't more talk of it. An outdoor game at Ralph Wilson Stadium vs the Maple Leafs or Canadiens would gross more $$$ that a long playoff run would.

Figure an average ticket of $40. 70,000 seats in RWS. That's a gross of $2.8 million FOR ONE GAME! How much would it cost to stage? Even if it cost a million dollars, you still make almost $2 Mil!!!

Do you think the Sabres would have any trouble selling 70,000 tix, especially if you play a Canadian team? Someone explain to me why this is not a great idea?

PTR

It is a great idea, and it has been brought up before. But... what do you mean the Sabres can't make a profit even in the playoffs?

There was a story in the News floated a few weeks ago that with the Sabres salary so close to the cap, a profit was not guarenteed, even if they sell out every game and make a long playoff run.

PTR

There was a story in the News floated a few weeks ago that with the Sabres salary so close to the cap, a profit was not guarenteed, even if they sell out every game and make a long playoff run.

PTR

As debated before, that story was bull of garbage.

Sabres made $4.5 million on a $30 million payroll and then recieved $6 million in revenue sharing just a week or so ago for last season, so their profits actually go up to $11.5 million.

That was in a season where ads didn't cost much (remember we had 3 ad logos on the ice for the first part and one of the zamboni's was just white for half the season) and 18 sell outs.

Translate to higher attendence, more merchadice sales, higher costs of ads at the games and MSG and a better tv deal with MSG.... and i'm sure they will recieve a few million in revenue sharing again, thus, making alot of money.

But a game at Ralph Wilson would not be bad, but as they learned from the Edmonton/Montreal game, the biggest cost in paying for insurance. Apparently that is very high cost, on top of that is all the costs for making the event happen.

But i do think we will see this game happen. Toronto vs. Buffalo. And "average" ticket will be higher then $40 IMO. Cheap seats will be around $40, the lower bowl will be around $100 imo.

But i do think we will see this game happen. Toronto vs. Buffalo. And "average" ticket will be higher then $40 IMO. Cheap seats will be around $40, the lower bowl will be around $100 imo.

I agree and have been pressing for this event to happen. And let's face it, the Bills won't be using the Ralph in January and February any time soon...

PTR

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but somehow it ties into TG stuffing his pockets with sugar packets and creamers from every restaurant he goes into. :lol:

Me and my buddy thought of this at the Rangers game friday. It's so freakin' obvious, I'm surprised there isn't more talk of it. An outdoor game at Ralph Wilson Stadium vs the Maple Leafs or Canadiens would gross more $$$ that a long playoff run would.

Figure an average ticket of $40. 70,000 seats in RWS. That's a gross of $2.8 million FOR ONE GAME! How much would it cost to stage? Even if it cost a million dollars, you still make almost $2 Mil!!!

Do you think the Sabres would have any trouble selling 70,000 tix, especially if you play a Canadian team? Someone explain to me why this is not a great idea?

PTR

bad weather and ice at RWS who can predict what weather in jan/feb could be

In case of bad weather, they could play the game in a clear plastic "bubble". I'm just throwing out ideas here. I'm curious about why the insurance for such an event would be so high? How is this any different than a football game?

As for seeing the puck, I think the upper deck will be better than the lower bowl. You can always watch the Jumbotron. I think after a day of taigating, most people won't be able to see their shoes much less the puck. The idea is this will be a special event.

PTR

Thats my thinking on this too... I'm not sure how much of the upper deck could be used.

I bet people would still buy tickets for the upper deck just to be part of something so awesome. An outdoor game against Toronto would be a huge event and people could still use binoculars.

PTR

That is such absolute nonsense that it borders on the absurd. Sabres have had 6 of the top 10 jerseys on the nhl.com shop for the past 2 months in a row. The store in the arena literally looks like it is going out of business because whenever they get merchandise in, it is immediately snapped up by fans that have increased sales by 1200%!!(no, this is not a typo) over last year. The entire season!!! is sold out. This team is going to be making a deep playoff run, possibly culminating in a Stanley Cup. They are going to receive a bigger revenue sharing bonus next year in all likelihood than the 6 million they received this year. If they lose money, you can call me and sell me the Brooklyn Bridge, and I ain't much into the bridge buying business...

I'm glad that there are still people around who think this idea not only has merit, but hope to see it happen. I know it was brought up in an internet article a year or so ago, and it just seems to make so much sense.

Why not make it a two year agreement and have a game followed up at the Skydome with the roof open the next year?

As for being able to see, or not see the puck from the upper deck, I don't think it would be too much of an issue. You're not that far from the field at the Ralph even in the upper deck, and being there in person HAS to be better than the camera work we all suffer through on a seemingly weekly basis.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but somehow it ties into TG stuffing his pockets with sugar packets and creamers from every restaurant he goes into. :lol:

He also goes to the library to read the paper on those wooden sticks. That helps a lot. It's true, too. Don't make me offer the link to the story that mentioned it. Because I will. If I have to.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...858678-sun.html

Seems Toronto is working on something for next year.

Is it just me, or does it seem to be not even worth it to have an outdoor game and shoot for 20,000 people? My guess would be if you did Toronto - Montreal on New Year's Day, you could get 40,000 easy...and I agree with others that a Buffalo-Leafs game at RWS it would probably draw 45-50,000...

Archived