No suspension for Ovechkin

Eleven

Does this not make you just want to say to hell with this bush league?

I mean honestly.

Kobe Bryant gets suspended for elbowing a guy in the throat as "payback" for an earlier foul, but AO can't be?

If a Sabre had done that to AO, he'd have been suspended for sure.

The NHL really is a joke. I love the Sabres but this type of action solidifies it for me that I really shouldn't get so worked up about a loss or other things. What an F'ing joke.

:wallbash: Why all the surprise? This is the NHL, and as I have said many many times before... In this league, it is NOT what you do. It is (in this order) Who is doing it, who it is being done to. And as long as it involves one of the anointed saviors :oops: chosen by Bettman and his cronies that's the sniff test used to determine any further action.

Hang on, let me get my shocked face ready... :o

To be honest, I don't think anyone really expected much from the idiots who run the league, so we shouldn't really be shocked. I think Rickshaw hit it dead on - it's yet another bush league move by the NHL. What is the NHL going to do if a Sabre tries to run AO and ends up knocking him out of action for a while? What if he blows out a knee on a knee-to-knee hit, or gets an Eric Cole-type injury? Bet the justice will be swift and harsh then... <_<

Absolutely ridiculous......... I guess in order to get a suspension, Briere would have to have been hurt...see Orprik/Cole......

If the NHL wants to put and end to "from behind hits" they need to have stiff suspensions, and more than a $100 fine......

If I were a player I'd feel really safe knowing that my neck is only worth $100.00.

Hey NHL, get off your knees... you're blowing the game.

....... :w00t:

........ I

:worthy: /\

NHL / AO

Now there is some creative smilie use...

Thanks for the youtube link.

Now RJ is a Sabres fan... but if a Sabre ever hit a guy from behind hard enough to make his face open the bench door he would never say:

1. That the hit from behind was a "nudge."

2. That the Sabre "didn't want to do it" or that he "knew it was wrong" because he stopped skating after the hit.

Those Cap callers were seriously ballwashing Ovechkin for commiting the dirtiest foul in the game. RJ would have said "what a stupid dangerous move."

Good points, Orange, and I'd like to add that I loved when they tried to make us feel bad for him that he had been kicked out of the game. "If you've talked to him, you know he loves to just play hockey, and it's just killing him not being on the ice right now." Boo-friggin-hoo. I am so sorry one of our stars had the audacity to get in AO's way as he tried to skate by the Sabres bench and say hi to Lindy and the boys...after all, it was an honest mistake and he never intended to hurt ANYONE... :rolleyes:

I agree with Vaive22. If Briere had been seriously injured from the hit, there would be a suspension. That was one of the worst things I have ever seen in any sport. AO may not be a dirty player, but he certainly was on that play. And to see AO in the box saying Briere "fell" was ludicrous.

Also, I just want to add how stupid the instigator penalty is. Gaustad gets booted for instigating, but wasn't the hit on Briere what instigated he whole thing? And why exactly did Mair get ejected?

I agree with Vaive22. If Briere had been seriously injured from the hit, there would be a suspension. That was one of the worst things I have ever seen in any sport. AO may not be a dirty player, but he certainly was on that play. And to see AO in the box saying Briere "fell" was ludicrous.

Also, I just want to add how stupid the instigator penalty is. Gaustad gets booted for instigating, but wasn't the hit on Briere what instigated he whole thing? And why exactly did Mair get ejected?

The instigator is B.S. because it gives the officials too much discretion. They knew the game was going to get "out of hand" if they didn't throw Ovechkin, Gaustad, and Mair out.

There is definitely an element of "dirtiness" to AO's game. I recall a hit last season that he put on Vitali Vishnevski of Anaheim...it was a sweet looking hit at first glance, but the replay showed that he left his feet and was about a foot off the ground when he threw the hit. No penalty, although 95% of the rest of the league would have gotten called for that. Like someone else said, the other night is just more evidence that the league has to protect its darlings.

Colin Campbell is a complete joke because nothing he does makes any sense. The hit that Orpik put on Erik Cole last year that broke his neck is a prime example...3 games??? He could have paralyzed the guy with that garbage. Bottom line is this league needs to set up some sort of standards and required suspensions for hits from behind/cheap shots. Until then, players will take cheap shots, and anyone that tries to hold them accountable by dropping the gloves will get instigators/game misconducts/etc...

If I were a player I'd feel really safe knowing that my neck is only worth $100.00.

Hey NHL, get off your knees... you're blowing the game.

....... :w00t:

........ I

:worthy: /\

NHL / AO

This is the most creative use of Smilies I have seen... Very nice work.

Because Mair starting beating the first Capital he saw... which he should have. I just wish Gaustad had landed a few more on Ovechkin's teeth before the ref's tied him up.

What surprised me was how quickly the ref stepped in to stop the fight. The NHL league office wasn't the only ones protecting OV. Gaustad was clearly getting his licks in and the refs just jumped between when OV wasn't fighting back. A few more seconds and Gaustad might have given him something to remember him by.

Mair was no slouch either. He had his guy wrapped up.

Danny had his helmet come off twice in the game... I think he needs to adjust that chin strap. Isn't worth wearing if it comes off the second you need it.

Archived