Thomas Vanek---The Making of a Superstar

matter2003

If there was any question before, there is no longer a question after the unbelievable no-look behind the back pass that Vanek dished off to Briere after drawing 3 Maple Leafs players to him in the slot...

Not only is Vanek our leading goal scorer this year, on pace for an astounding 56 goals to go with 48 assists for 104 points, in this his second full season, but he also is the team leader in +- with an unbelievable +16, which ranks him 2nd in the entire NHL. Vanek also seemingly draws 2 to 3 penalties by himself every game as the opposition hooks him, grabs him after he steals the puck away from them in their own zone, or make a diving attempt to stop him after he has deked them out of their hockey pants...

Vanek is turning into a bonafide NHL superstar at age 22 right before our eyes. After averaging .59 PPG last year, a decent total for a 21 year old rookie, he is now averaging 1.27 PPG and is only 10 goals shy of his total output from last year which came in 81 games...

I can't wait to see what he develops into in about 2 or 3 years when he is at his peak...definitely a player that we can build around for the future....hopefully the Sabres lock him up for a long,long time...

Nah, he is an RFA, which means he can't become an unrestricted FA until he is at least 26...

All we have to do is give him a certain percentage raise...

What I'm worried about is some team will make him a huge offer. We would have the right to match, of course.

I can't wait to see what he develops into in about 2 or 3 years when he is at his peak...definitely a player that we can build around for the future....hopefully the Sabres lock him up for a long,long time...

Ruff needs to pull a Rick DiPietro on Vanek.

As much as I like Briere, I see him as the most "expendable" of the Drury, Briere, Vanek trio.

Not saying I'd want him to leave, but he's making 5 mill. already, has a career year brewing, and he's on a one year deal. They'd have to pay some 7 mill. to keep him around, and that's too much for any player with cap locked where it is.

Max is going to demand the big bucks as well. All in all, things look pretty bleak in that department, and I'm afraid we're due for huge gutting in the off-season :(

Ruff needs to pull a Rick DiPietro on Vanek.

As much as I like Briere, I see him as the most "expendable" of the Drury, Briere, Vanek trio.

Not saying I'd want him to leave, but he's making 5 mill. already, has a career year brewing, and he's on a one year deal. They'd have to pay some 7 mill. to keep him around, and that's too much for any player with cap locked where it is.

Max is going to demand the big bucks as well. All in all, things look pretty bleak in that department, and I'm afraid we're due for huge gutting in the off-season :(

Didn't Max just sign a three year deal?

I don't think "gutting" is the best word. I think "turnover" is a better word.

Just like Dumont and Grier leaving. Young players will have to pick up the slack. The goalie and defense are locked up. The young forwards will to have step up. Guys like Pominville, Gaustad and Vanek will have to become the leaders of this team. I can see Gaustad with a 'C' on his sweater someday. With players like Stafford, Paille and Ryan (Who has great hands around the net That was a great tip in. Just the wrong net :blink: ) in the pipeline? I'm not to worried about the future. With the Sabres youth they are geared towards long term success.

Everyone is locked up 'cept Drury and Briere.

I would like them both to stay but I think Briere needs to be dealt with first. He's an offensive machine. As much as I like Drury, there are other young guys in our system that can play his game. Drury is not a bonafide offensive threat like Briere is.

Hopefully they like it enough in Buffalo to each accept slightly less than they could get elsewhere.

But this team is basically set for the next 3 years if you don't count the above mentioned. Not bad considering. I believe one of the two will stay.

Everyone is locked up 'cept Drury and Briere.

I would like them both to stay but I think Briere needs to be dealt with first. He's an offensive machine. As much as I like Drury, there are other young guys in our system that can play his game. Drury is not a bonafide offensive threat like Briere is.

Hopefully they like it enough in Buffalo to each accept slightly less than they could get elsewhere.

But this team is basically set for the next 3 years if you don't count the above mentioned. Not bad considering. I believe one of the two will stay.

I think we need to keep Danny to, tough choice to make............. :blink:

Didn't Max just sign a three year deal?

Sure did! In fact, Darcy was quite adamant to avoid arbitration with as many players as possible -- Max being one of them. Got that info from Home Ice on XM.

Other than that, it's old news.

Sure did! In fact, Darcy was quite adamant to avoid arbitration with as many players as possible -- Max being one of them. Got that info from Home Ice on XM.

Other than that, it's old news.

If Max went to arbitration, he possibly could of gotten $5 million. It was a good move to avoid going to arbitration with him and locking him up for a couple years.

Vanek's been the best player on the Sabres so far this year.

How the hell he's not on the all-star ballot makes me boggle.

He does deserve to be on the ballot. I have been voting for him on the write in. I was a big fan of his from the start of last year and I still supported him when he played poorly late last season and during the playoffs.

He is playing a lot better than last year. Vanek has been skating hard this year. He has been blocking shots, and his efforts have gotten him some time on the penalty kill.

That move he made against Montreal on the breakaway in OT was just unbelievable... The Montreal player had the angle and was trying to swipe the puck away, and Vanek did some type of move where he pulled the puck around his leg, and then put his right leg in front of the area where the defenseman was trying to get to so he had absolutely no chance of getting to the puck...he then was stopped nicely by Huet but that was a big time goalscorer's move...

Well, everyone seems to have a man crush on the teams leading goal scorer, but does anyone else notice how he not giving a full 60 minutes a game anymore? I am still worried that he will fall back into bad habits and become Satanish. He has been brilliant with the puck and has gotten much quicker on his feet, but he is starting to coast more on his shifts and is not showing up at all during some shifts. He of course is still scoring like crazy, but it seems to be easy goals (I realize not all of them were easy). Has anyone else noticed this?

Well, everyone seems to have a man crush on the teams leading goal scorer, but does anyone else notice how he not giving a full 60 minutes a game anymore? I am still worried that he will fall back into bad habits and become Satanish. He has been brilliant with the puck and has gotten much quicker on his feet, but he is starting to coast more on his shifts and is not showing up at all during some shifts. He of course is still scoring like crazy, but it seems to be easy goals (I realize not all of them were easy). Has anyone else noticed this?

Honestly, i don't know what you're talking about. I think he's always skating hard, he is laying out some hits like he didn't do last year and he's even playing the penalty kill. Lindy Ruff would never let someone who is playing half-assed play the penalty kill. Notice Kotalik ever on the PK?

Vanek is just fine, he's a star player, amazing with the stick. Might he seem slow on some plays? Probably, but when you're skating at full blast all the time, you get tired.

Vanek doesn't just show up to play the PP and late in games. Every shift out there you can notice him.

And the comment of "easy goals" really got to me. He has 16 goals for gods sake. And only 6 of them are on the PP. He has 14 assists. And i'd beg to differ about the easy goals, i think he has many awesome goals, some look easy, like the Florida goal in OT, but you have to hand it to Vanek for being in the right place, right time, and that is also part of skill of a top class player.

Yeah, I honestly think Vanek should be an all-star this year. The man does something virtually every shift he is out there. I went back and rewatched parts of the last 6 games and I don't see what you are talking about with him coasting. He draws penalties left and right on players because he is becoming Derek Roy like in his peskiness, he has an unbelievable skill set to work with that is just getting better and better every game, and he has a true goal-scorers knack of always finding the open space where the puck just seems to find him. The man is an absolute force this season....

Honestly, i don't know what you're talking about. I think he's always skating hard, he is laying out some hits like he didn't do last year and he's even playing the penalty kill. Lindy Ruff would never let someone who is playing half-assed play the penalty kill. Notice Kotalik ever on the PK?

Vanek is just fine, he's a star player, amazing with the stick. Might he seem slow on some plays? Probably, but when you're skating at full blast all the time, you get tired.

Vanek doesn't just show up to play the PP and late in games. Every shift out there you can notice him.

And the comment of "easy goals" really got to me. He has 16 goals for gods sake. And only 6 of them are on the PP. He has 14 assists. And i'd beg to differ about the easy goals, i think he has many awesome goals, some look easy, like the Florida goal in OT, but you have to hand it to Vanek for being in the right place, right time, and that is also part of skill of a top class player.

I agree. I'm impressed he is starting to hit some people. He nailed Forsberg in a game against Philadelphia. He was even a bit physical against Jagr.

Archived