Did they name Campbell's spin move yet?

thesportsbuff

I swear I read someone here discussing this, but I couldn't find the thread, so it makes me wonder if it was a different message board. However, I apologize for this thread if there is in fact already one up.

Anyway, did they come up with a name for it yet?

How about the "Soup Loop?"

The Chicken Noodle Doodle? :D

How bout, the "Curly Campbell".

I also think when he drills someone they should name it the "Campbell Snoop". Like he is always snoopin around for the big hit. Hearin RJ saying "How's about some Campbell snoop Umberger"! "I hear it's pretty nasty"? Umberger just got "snooped"!

I love it, too. But, each time he does it, i get a little feeling in my stomach... because i can see how all of this will end up. The move definetly works, but i just fear, we will be in a intense game, noone will wanna lose, like a war on ice... he will get cocky, do the move to try to buy a second or two to make a pass... and BAM!

Campbell is a very smart player so i don't know, it's unlikey of him doing it at a stupid moment where he get clocked, i just hope he doesn't get over his head in a big time game, esspicially like in the playoffs.

I love it, too. But, each time he does it, i get a little feeling in my stomach... because i can see how all of this will end up. The move definetly works, but i just fear, we will be in a intense game, noone will wanna lose, like a war on ice... he will get cocky, do the move to try to buy a second or two to make a pass... and BAM!

Campbell is a very smart player so i don't know, it's unlikey of him doing it at a stupid moment where he get clocked, i just hope he doesn't get over his head in a big time game, esspicially like in the playoffs.

Just to add something I was thinking, Brian Campbell is turning into a really excellent hockey player. I mean all-star excellent.

Anyone else notice how much more physical he has become since the Umberger hit? It's like he dug the rep as a hitter and wants to keep it now.

What I like about that though, is that he seems to pick his hits.

Not cruising around constantly to lay someone out, but if the opportunity presents itself, he follows through.

What I like about that though, is that he seems to pick his hits.

Not cruising around constantly to lay someone out, but if the opportunity presents itself, he follows through.

Thats a good point because he is not big enough to do it all the time, but he kinda keeps it in the back of his mind and lays people out when it is a good time.

Speaking of his spin move he really only does it when he has room and either draws a penalty or take a pass or shot towards the net, its a pretty kool move if you ask me........... :beer:

Good call Briere. I was going to call it the "How bout you stop doing it" move. :) I really don't like some of the fancy plays this team tries to make. That, and the injury-prone nature of these guys, and the lack of physical play, give this team a bit of a soft look.

Good call Briere. I was going to call it the "How bout you stop doing it" move. :) I really don't like some of the fancy plays this team tries to make. That, and the injury-prone nature of these guys, and the lack of physical play, give this team a bit of a soft look.

:doh:

Max learned yesterday that he can't take a dive into the boards every time he gets a near breakaway. It's the first time I've seen him stand upright. What's better, drawing a penalty every third game, or not missing 2 weeks?

Guys here will knock you for being anti-Sabre, but you are right. We are an undersized team. It is a fact in athletics, smaller and more crafty players don't take as much time to get conditioned, but they need more recovery time between competition and will have more physical breakdowns than larger counterparts. Drury is our biggest center....and Campbell is our only North American defenseman. Right there spells soft. I know someone is going to come out with "Who do you want to be...the Flyers?" No....but it is ok to admit there may be shortcomings here. Gaustad got nailed from behind last night while not on the Mair/Peters shift, and nobody flinched. That says a lot to me.

Max learned yesterday that he can't take a dive into the boards every time he gets a near breakaway. It's the first time I've seen him stand upright. What's better, drawing a penalty every third game, or not missing 2 weeks?

Guys here will knock you for being anti-Sabre, but you are right. We are an undersized team. It is a fact in athletics, smaller and more crafty players don't take as much time to get conditioned, but they need more recovery time between competition and will have more physical breakdowns than larger counterparts. Drury is our biggest center....and Campbell is our only North American defenseman. Right there spells soft. I know someone is going to come out with "Who do you want to be...the Flyers?" No....but it is ok to admit there may be shortcomings here. Gaustad got nailed from behind last night while not on the Mair/Peters shift, and nobody flinched. That says a lot to me.

Smaller athletes need more recovery time? I would check your facts. Last time I checked athletes who have better conditioning need less recovery time.

Well seeing as Gaustad got right up and they scored on the ensuing power play, I'd say they responded just fine. And Gaustad is their biggest center, not Drury.

No doubt this team is on the small side, but I don't see anything that tells me they are TOO soft. Philly and Carolina both tried to play a more physical game with them in the past week and lost. In a perfect world, yeah, it would be nice if they were bigger, but they are a pretty scrappy bunch, and I am not sure what you give up to get more size.

Again, I'm not saying you guys are nuts, but the game is still changing and the Sabres seem to be ahead of the curve. Maybe the "traditional" slam-bang hockey isn't going to work anymore, and the way to win is with speed, skill and DEPTH. Because fast and skilled usually = SMALL, you have to have more guys who can step in ... Stafford, Paille, Paetsch, etc. I'm not suggesting they are as good as Connolly, Tallinder, Roy who are hurt. Bigger slower guys in the lineup every night might not get hurtbut they also can't play the system the way it should be played are going to hurt you just as much if not more in the long run.

At least that is the theory. I'm willing to see how it works out, because when I look at other teams, I see Philly not able to score if Forsberg or Gagne goes out. I see Chicago couldn't score with Havlat and Ruutu hurt. I can't imagine Pittsburgh winning if Crosby and Malkin got hurt (Malkin, a big guy, who had the same injury as Max earlier in the season and tweaked his knee last night) ... I see the Rangers in deep #%^$#! if the Jagr-Straka-Shanahan group, all older bigger guys, get dinged up. They don't have the depth, and guys DO still get hurt. There's no magic pill.

Oh and don't worry about Campbell's minutes. After the game last night he said he could play another one. He LOVES the ice time, and from what I can see he plays better the more he gets. A lot of great teams have played their best d-men more than 30 minutes a game. Soupy won't get that kind of time all season, but a few games in November and 23-25 minutes instead of 18 the rest of the season would be good for him.

Smaller athletes need more recovery time? I would check your facts. Last time I checked athletes who have better conditioning need less recovery time.

Correct, better conditioned athletes need less recovery time. I said it is easier for smaller and swifter guys to get fully conditioned....but vs. a bigger athlete who is also fully conditioned albeit may have taken longer to get there originally.....the bigger guy is going to wear the smaller guy down.

Shaq vs. anyone

330 lb lineman vs 270 lb D-lineman

6'3" 220lb Dman vs 5'9" center

Trust me....I love our team, but they are still built soft. They work hard, and are very skilled, but they are not built for bumping and grinding.

Gaustad got nailed from behind last night while not on the Mair/Peters shift, and nobody flinched. That says a lot to me.

I forget which game it was where the Sabres were ahead by 2 goals and looking to cruise, but then got sucked-into a fight and lose momentum. I think from that point on, they decided not to get suckered-in again like that.

Well seeing as Gaustad got right up and they scored on the ensuing power play, I'd say they responded just fine. And Gaustad is their biggest center, not Drury.

No doubt this team is on the small side, but I don't see anything that tells me they are TOO soft. Philly and Carolina both tried to play a more physical game with them in the past week and lost. In a perfect world, yeah, it would be nice if they were bigger, but they are a pretty scrappy bunch, and I am not sure what you give up to get more size.

Again, I'm not saying you guys are nuts, but the game is still changing and the Sabres seem to be ahead of the curve. Maybe the "traditional" slam-bang hockey isn't going to work anymore, and the way to win is with speed, skill and DEPTH. Because fast and skilled usually = SMALL, you have to have more guys who can step in ... Stafford, Paille, Paetsch, etc. I'm not suggesting they are as good as Connolly, Tallinder, Roy who are hurt. Bigger slower guys in the lineup every night might not get hurtbut they also can't play the system the way it should be played are going to hurt you just as much if not more in the long run.

At least that is the theory. I'm willing to see how it works out, because when I look at other teams, I see Philly not able to score if Forsberg or Gagne goes out. I see Chicago couldn't score with Havlat and Ruutu hurt. I can't imagine Pittsburgh winning if Crosby and Malkin got hurt (Malkin, a big guy, who had the same injury as Max earlier in the season and tweaked his knee last night) ... I see the Rangers in deep #%^$#! if the Jagr-Straka-Shanahan group, all older bigger guys, get dinged up. They don't have the depth, and guys DO still get hurt. There's no magic pill.

Oh and don't worry about Campbell's minutes. After the game last night he said he could play another one. He LOVES the ice time, and from what I can see he plays better the more he gets. A lot of great teams have played their best d-men more than 30 minutes a game. Soupy won't get that kind of time all season, but a few games in November and 23-25 minutes instead of 18 the rest of the season would be good for him.

Agree with everything....the perfectly balanced outlook.

It's scary that we keep having guys go down left and right, just like the playoffs.

I still consider Gaustad to be Drury's wingman. We sort of have 7 centers on this team.

I forget which game it was where the Sabres were ahead by 2 goals and looking to cruise, but then got sucked-into a fight and lose momentum. I think from that point on, they decided not to get suckered-in again like that.

It was such a scary shot that my instincts would have me go grab the guy. For 0.3 seconds I thought he would break his neck.You don't need to fight him, but you sure as heck shake the daylights out of him.

Shaq vs. anyone

But there are two sides to every story ... Shaq gets hurt and wears down as much as anyone ... We saw a 270 lb Bruce Smith blow by many a 330 lb tackle, and that big D-man has to catch the 5-9 center ... and if you have 12 skilled guys like that and a couple in reserve, he might catch one, but another is coming on the next shift ...

Again, it's really just a theory at this point, it might not work out. There are going to be casualties, and they are going to give up more goals than we are used to. But the net result could be better than anything we have ever had, too.

Here we go again.

Ronnie, is that you? How are things in... ah, never mind. No politics here.

I assume you are talking about the phrase "injury-prone." Do you still really think the injuries are just flukes? You sneeze on Tallinder and he breaks his arm. We have some delicate flowers on this team -- face the facts. :)

Correct, better conditioned athletes need less recovery time. I said it is easier for smaller and swifter guys to get fully conditioned....but vs. a bigger athlete who is also fully conditioned albeit may have taken longer to get there originally.....the bigger guy is going to wear the smaller guy down.

Shaq vs. anyone

Trust me....I love our team, but they are still built soft. They work hard, and are very skilled, but they are not built for bumping and grinding.

Bigger guys can't get to the same level conditioning as smaller guys. If we play a team like the Flyers and try to play their game, yes the Sabres will get out muscled and wear themselves out. If we play our game, we will skate circles around them and wear them out.

Archived