Sabres @ Maple Leafs (12/29)

PTS

biron wasnt only weak in the shootout i thought he wasnt very good at all the whole game. i dont understand why Miller wasnt in net for us tonite.

I dont think biron had a bad game at all, the shootout was a little shaky, and perhaps he was a bit out of position for the one goal (still not sure about that), but overall I think he played an overall decent game and made many big saves for us. I absolutely think he had a better game than miller did vs the islanders.

Also I agree with the kotalik thing, I personally would have liked to see max in there in place of ales

I dont think biron had a bad game at all, the shootout was a little shaky, and perhaps he was a bit out of position for the one goal (still not sure about that), but overall I think he played an overall decent game and made many big saves for us. I absolutely think he had a better game than miller did vs the islanders.

Also I agree with the kotalik thing, I personally would have liked to see max in there in place of ales

If it weren't for goaltending (tonight it was Biron but Miller may have been able to do the same), there would not have been a shootout. The defense was horrible tonight, especially in the first and second periods. During one stretch in the first, the Sabs couldn't clear the puck in 3+ minutes of clock time.

Afinogenov or Connolly really should lead every shootout.

Larry, in case you aren't aware, there are a whole host of links to Sabres' stories at sabresreport.com (this forum's "home page"). It is updated several times a day. So handy. To whoever updates it, thanks!

Thanks, i never knew - just always had my link straight to the message board. I didnt realize it was the same as twobillsdrive.

If it weren't for goaltending (tonight it was Biron but Miller may have been able to do the same), there would not have been a shootout. The defense was horrible tonight, especially in the first and second periods. During one stretch in the first, the Sabs couldn't clear the puck in 3+ minutes of clock time.

Don't try to talk defense with this crowd. All they know is when a goalie lets in a goal, it's a bad thing. Whether or not a goalie gets hung out to dry by his defense is not even a concept.

PTR

Biron played better then Belfour, 2 out of 3 goals he had no chance on..........And he made some keys saves to get them into overtime...........He looked like junk in the shootout however.............Leafs got lucky.

He definitely played better than Bats-in-his-Belfour in regulation. I didn't get to watch the OT nor the shootout, so I can't comment about that. Eddie let in at least 2 goals that he should have stopped (2nd and 3rd), Marty was only shaky on 1 goal and made more clutch saves than Eddie did in regulation as well.

The team is now 3 games shy of the half way mark and are guaranteed of being no worse than 11 games over 0.500 (they could be as high as 17 games over). I think any one of us posting on this board would have been very happy with that back in September. 9th place is at 0.500 and the absolute best it could be at the 1/2 way point is 5 games over. Realistically it will be 1 - 2 games over after 41 games.

Not too bad of a position to be in. The 2nd half definitely appears to be tougher than the 1st half and I don't expect to see the Sabres get such a high percentage of bounces going their way down the backstretch. But if they keep working hard, I see no reason to expect this team to play below 0.500 in the new year. If they can play just 1 game over 0.500 each month in the new year, they should be guaranteed a playoff spot. Play better (as they have the 1st 3 months) and they don't have to play the Otters in the 1st round.

Doc - I hope you get to another game soon and get another winning streak going. Are you going on the 26th?

I agree.

Tuff loss! Belfour looked VERY sloppy in this game. Plenty of chances, just came up short. If there's a thing called a good loss, this is it. Too bad it had to come to Toronto. They looked very slow/tired up to the 3rd period, but isn't that the Sabres trademark? And I agree with everyone else, the refs sucked last night!

Jeff

Sabres were lucky to get a point. If I see one more drop pass in the offensive zone, I'm crawling into my TV and bitch slapping the culprit. Vanek, Connolly and Afinogenov (I think) were all guilty of this and it led to 2 goals. They really laid an egg but atleast they got the point. Every little bit helps. :)

My game observations...

-Good effort by the Sabres to come from behind on two occasions on the road to earn a point.

-Sabres outplayed the Leafs over the last two periods after Toronto came out hitting everything in sight.

-Just before Pominville scored, I was questioning why Lindy wouldn't put two defensemen on the point considering the number of opportunities Toronto was getting while shorthanded.

-That was a great shot by Sundin, but he was invisible almost all night. How much are they paying him?

-Lydman gets stronger every game. I'm not sure what his problem was early in the year, but this kid can play. I'd like to see him get some time on the PP and see what he can do.

-Roy seemed like he was pissed off last night. He played with an edge and seemed to be quite chippy especially after the whistle.

-Biron was lights out in the 3rd period and OT, but for the love of god Marty PLEASE stop with the attempted poke checks in the shootouts. There is a time when to use the poke check(when the shooter has his head down or gets too close to the goalie with the puck) and you clearly suck at it.

-I miss Roby & Blessing on Hockey Hotline. The new post game progam is brutal.

-Continued kudos to Connolly who broke out of a 8 or 9 game goal scoring slump with 3 points.

-I know I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I HATE TUCKER AND DOMI!!!!

Don't try to talk defense with this crowd.  All they know is when a goalie lets in a goal, it's a bad thing.  Whether or not a goalie gets hung out to dry by his defense is not even a concept.

PTR

"WITH THIS CROWD" ??

Hey PTR, learn to spell the players' names, then come back and talk some trash. Yeah, you must be a huuuuuuge fan.

Here's a link to help you study for your spelling test:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/buf/roster

As for the goalies, Ryan is better than Marty now and will be next year, five years from now and 10 years from now. He will be better in his seniors league in 2060. Why we're diddling around with Biron, I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Ruff gives Noronen a few starts, Mika gets hot and we have the three-headed beast back again.

He definitely played better than Bats-in-his-Belfour in regulation. I didn't get to watch the OT nor the shootout, so I can't comment about that. Eddie let in at least 2 goals that he should have stopped (2nd and 3rd), Marty was only shaky on 1 goal and made more clutch saves than Eddie did in regulation as well.

The team is now 3 games shy of the half way mark and are guaranteed of being no worse than 11 games over 0.500 (they could be as high as 17 games over). I think any one of us posting on this board would have been very happy with that back in September. 9th place is at 0.500 and the absolute best it could be at the 1/2 way point is 5 games over. Realistically it will be 1 - 2 games over after 41 games.

Not too bad of a position to be in. The 2nd half definitely appears to be tougher than the 1st half and I don't expect to see the Sabres get such a high percentage of bounces going their way down the backstretch. But if they keep working hard, I see no reason to expect this team to play below 0.500 in the new year. If they can play just 1 game over 0.500 each month in the new year, they should be guaranteed a playoff spot. Play better (as they have the 1st 3 months) and they don't have to play the Otters in the 1st round.

Doc - I hope you get to another game soon and get another winning streak going. Are you going on the 26th?

I am gonna try if I can talk the wife into letting me go...........Chance are 50/50..... B-)

"WITH THIS CROWD" ??

Hey PTR, learn to spell the players' names, then come back and talk some trash. Yeah, you must be a huuuuuuge fan.

Here's a link to help you study for your spelling test:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/buf/roster

As for the goalies, Ryan is better than Marty now and will be next year, five years from now and 10 years from now. He will be better in his seniors league in 2060. Why we're diddling around with Biron, I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Ruff gives Noronen a few starts, Mika gets hot and we have the three-headed beast back again.

I think Marty B has earned his playing time don't you think?...........And if it bumps up his trade value then Lindy is doing the right thing.........IMHO

I totally agree. Ryan is the #1 and he should have played yesterday. Marty has a positioning problem. Most of the goals scored on him are because he's not positioned correctly.

That being said, with all the trade rumors in credible hockey sources yesterday, my guess is they were shopping Biron.

They should have traded him as soon as Miller was 100%. Marty is a good goalie but that's it, don't expect to him to be consistently great.

"Credible" trade rumor sources? :o

TSN and the CP reported that various trades would go down soon with Biron moving to Vancouver being a huge possiblity.

TSN and CP beat the Ottawa or Toronto Sun rumors.