A win is a win is a win, but...

Doohickie

...I wish these guys could start taking care of business in regulation and not wait until overtime.

The points they are getting in the standings are great, but they're also giving away a lot of points to the teams they beat; this could come back to bite them at the end of the season. And also depending on OT is playing with fire; a loose puck here, a bad bounce there and all of a sudden the Sabres might be revealed as a mediocre team that got lucky in OT for a while.

How about a few more of those 9-2 games, boys?

I'm sure Lindy is preaching the same thing to them and trying to get them to win outright. After every game he says something like they have yet to play their best hockey, and he's right.

As long as the Sabres win I'm happy. The thing I don't like about all these come from behind, OT, and shoot out games is that it's going to start wearing on the boys. After the long run last year and having to play more than 60 minutes so often, they will start to tire and the injurues will become more common. An occassional blowout here and there would be nice, so the guys don't have to go balls out all game long. Although, they do seem to take alot of 1st periods off. :)

Just keep winning baby.

This year has been nuts so far. Four of the last five have gone to extra time. I agree that giving Florida a point last night wasn't good. But Florida did earn that point. A regulation win ala Montreal and NYI would be nice tonight. I don't need a thrashing, just a solid win and no FREAKIN injuries. Winning all these games in OT or by SO will pay off in the long run.

All of the wins in OT and in the shootout are whats keeping me from declaring this team the best in the NHL. They are definitly one of the top, but they are not the best. They are relying on OT and late comebacks to win games and are giving away too many points to other teams. Sooner or later the luck is going to run out and they are going to start losing those games and the team could lose some ground that they have right now over other teams

5-4 against Philadelphia??? See, that's what I'm talking about. That shoulda been a laugher. It was a laugher halfway through the game before the Sabres let the Flyers back into it.

I love that they pull them out but.... geez.

The Flyers board said this was the best game the Flyers played this season. The showed some heart tonight. Not enough, but they didn't give up either.

The Flyers board said this was the best game the Flyers played this season. The showed some heart tonight. Not enough, but they didn't give up either.

I think its funny how a lot of teams play their best games of the year and still end up with losses, especially when we play an average or below average game ourselves...

I agree Doohickie.....

I was actually thinking the same thing. I'm hoping it's because Max. and Tall. are out and we're playing a lot of young guys from Rochester. It would be great to see a full 3 periods of hockey to put some teams away like Boston and the Flyers.

I'm not knocking them but winning by the seat of your pants can come back to bite you.

but hey it prob. hurt the Flyers losing to such a close game even more! :thumbsup:

I am enjoying the wins, but a few things are bothering me about the team right now. First, for a team that leads in the standings, the Sabres seem to have an awful time getting out of their own zone. Maybe it is because they are looking for that quick pass that will spring a forward on a breakaway, maybe it is becuse they have a couple of regular defensemen out. But any team with a decent forecheck can bottle the Sabres up in their own end.

There seems to be a lack of prolonged forechecking by the team much of the time. They have relied on their team speed and quick transition to score a lot of their goals. That's fine, but when the playoffs roll around, somebody's got to go into the corners and muck it up.

Goaltending lately has been above average, but not excellent. Although I see some players blocking shots, it is becoming apparent just how big an impact McKee made last year with all the shots he blocked.

All-in-all, this is an excellent, exciting team and I anticipate every game like I would a date with a tipsy Jennifer Aniston. :thumbsup: I'm just doing some constructive criticism. Of course, the wins are still rolling in so it can't be all bad.....

I'll bring it up again because I don't know who else to complain too...

This game would have been another blow out if the refs didn't timewarp in from 2001. What the heck is going on? Is anyone in the media or the NHL front office going to do anything about this? I watch games around the league and I'm seeing it everywhere. Before you know it, teams like Philadelphia will find themselves back at the top of the conference standings. It's a nightmare I can't seem to wake up from.

I'll bring it up again because I don't know who else to complain to...

This game would have been another blow out if the refs didn't timewarp in from 2001. What the heck is going on? Is anyone in the media or the NHL front office going to do anything about this? I watch games around the league and I'm seeing it everywhere. Before you know it, teams like Philadelphia will find themselves back at the top of the conference standings. It's a nightmare I can't seem to wake up from.

Yeah, I agree - I saw an awful lot of Sabres players tonight getting run into who weren't even close to touching the puck. You begin to wonder if, with the Sabres looking like they were going to run away from the rest of the Eastern Conference, the NHL decided that a little "evening up" was in order. Kind of like NASCAR telling Chevy to raise their rear spoiler by 0.1 inch (or whatever - I'm not a NASCAR fan for just that reason). I mean, it certainly looked for a while like the Sabres could win their first 15 or 20 in a row. Good for us, not such good news for any opponent. I just hope that at playoff time, all things are made equal again....

I agree with the observation about the lack of penalty calls; they put the whistles away on the clutching, grabbing and hooking.

As for the players we are missing, Max is the biggest loss, IMO. The troops brought up from Rochester are doing great, but Max is one of those players that can make something out of nothing and make opposing players look really foolish, kind of like Pavel Datsyuk of the Red Wings. I think it's great that Lindy allows Max the freedom to do that when the rest of the team plays a pretty tight system; it's one of those things that just confuses opponents to no end when he starts one of those mad rushes. And he plays the system enough that teams never know when that's coming, so he's quite a loss.

The new D-men are doing suberb, period. The problem we have on D is that because the young guys are there, Kalinin is getting more ice time which is exposing his weaknesses (which are many). He would actually make a better winger than D-man, I think. He has good playmaking ability but he makes way too many defensive mistakes. I really think Lindy should give Paetsch and Card more ice time and let Dmitri ride the bench more.

If the change in personnel is why the Sabres are squeaking out wins again, I guess that's okay. These guys coming up from Rochester need to be ready to go in the playoffs, because they will be needed, just like last year.

Archived