Vanek or Phaneuf

Taro T

'03 Draft; #5 Pick  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Sabres have selected?

• Vanek
    • Phaneuf
    • Suter
    • Coburn
    • Carter
    • Seabrook
    • Bernier
    • Parise
    • Getzlaf
    • Eaves
    • Bergeron
    • Other

I was very glad the Sabres drafted Vanek, as they hadn't drafted a pure scorer with their top pick since prior to the criminals owning the team.

I think they made the right choice, but would be interested to see what others around here thought. Although Phaneuf is going to be (and is already showing signs of being) a stud, the Sabres desperately needed a goal scorer at the time, IMHO.

I was big on Phaneuf at draft time as he is one of those rare blueline talents that can be an imposing physical force defensively and also can be a very good offensive player. That being said, if Vanek can turn into a 40+ goal 80+ point player on an annual basis and turns into a respectable player along the boards and in his own end, I won't be complaining.

So, I am not sure how to answer the poll...Vanek or Phaneuf??

I agree with dave, the Sabres needed a goal-scorer in that spot. Also, and this is pure hindsight because there was no cap at the time of that draft, the Sabres are getting great production out of Vanek for a low price in his first few years. If they had taken Phaneuf, maybe they don't need to go get Spacek and keep Dumont ... I think I'd rather have Spacek and Vanek, because Dumont would be a FA again next summer, whereas we have Vanek for a few more years at least.

I guess my point is, it's cheaper and easier to go find a defenseman in free agency to fit in than it is a 30- or 40-goal scorer.

Also, Phaneuf is kind of a freak ... most of the time, defensemen take longer to develop. We know now he was a rare guy who was obviously ready, but at the time the Sabres made the right choice I think. I was not totally convinced after last season, but Vanek has impressed me so far.

I voted for that guy Other. I heard he had a lot of upside and was a high energy player. A little soft in the corners but has great hands :nana:

:D :D :D Good old other! I heard he plays for free, too!

Better than me, though. I have no clue who Pharmacy or Phalanx or whatever his stupid name is anyway. Like a sheep I just voted for Vanek!

Vanek as he's a goal scorer.

And Miller is a goal stopper. And George, can we get some rabbits :D

Vanek also leads the NHL in +/- this year as well at +14....

Talk about a turnaround from last year...

He also may be responsible for drawing more penalties than any one else in the league....it seems every game he is responsible for at least one penalty by the other team because he continues working hard and steals the puck, and in the Carolina game, he virtuallyended their chances by drawing 2 consecutive penalties(although we almost let them back in by giving up a 5 on 3 goal)...

He has been simply outstanding this year

Archived