Anything wrong with Novotny?

That Aud Smell

LGS.com remarked that Gaustad had replaced Novotny on the Drury line when he set up Kotalik's tying goal.

Anyone know why this was? I get the sense that Ruff plugs Gaustad in on other lines when it's inappropriate to play Peters (or even Mair). Is that all this was?

Just trying to ensure Novotny's not hurt, or in the doghouse.

Not sure. I do know that it seems like every time Ruff promotes Gaustad he does something positive. Against the Islanders, he joined the Briere line when Hecht got cut and assisted on a goal. Last night, he made maybe the play of the night when he worked the puck to Drury on Kotalik's goal. Nice depth when you have a fourth liner that good.

Speaking of the fourth line, it didn't provide much "jam" last night, did it? I kept expecting Mair et al to turn the tide...

LGS.com remarked that Gaustad had replaced Novotny on the Drury line when he set up Kotalik's tying goal.

Anyone know why this was? I get the sense that Ruff plugs Gaustad in on other lines when it's inappropriate to play Peters (or even Mair). Is that all this was?

Just trying to ensure Novotny's not hurt, or in the doghouse.

Form what Jeanerette was saying last night it just sounded like Novotny got benched similar to what happened with Kotalik earlier in the year...

Not sure. I do know that it seems like every time Ruff promotes Gaustad he does something positive. Against the Islanders, he joined the Briere line when Hecht got cut and assisted on a goal. Last night, he made maybe the play of the night when he worked the puck to Drury on Kotalik's goal. Nice depth when you have a fourth liner that good.

Speaking of the fourth line, it didn't provide much "jam" last night, did it? I kept expecting Mair et al to turn the tide...

I agree on the value of Gaustad's game -- I love it. He's capable of way more than being a fourth line center, and Lindy clearly knows that.

I also agree on the 4th line based on what I saw. :thumbdown:

I also agree on the 4th line based on what I saw. :thumbdown:

Peters going offsides early in the game was pretty funny. Either...

A. he didn't realize the puck was still outside the blueline

B. he doesn't have the ability to stop and stradle the blueline.

C. unexplainable

Joking aside, I thought this was another game where the 4th line did not do a lot of banging. If you are not scoring(Mair and Peters have 0 points combined and the trio has ZERO goals), you have to contribute in other ways. If they are not banging, they need to sit for a game or two, because it is important that this team can roll 4 lines and wear out the opponent.

Agree on the 4th line and Novotny, but I thought there were a number of passengers last night, including Roy, Briere, Lydman and Campbell. I thought Miller played quite well, unlike vs. Atlanta (even though he let in the same # of goals). Also, Vanek wasn't productive, but his hustle and pay-the-price-in-front seems to be consistently good these days.

Meanwhile, I trust that everyone is glad that we didn't let Max go in the offseason?

I think it was a few factors. Putting Gaustad on the ice with Drury and Kotalik gives you two dangerous options on a draw if you put Goose in the circle, and he is not afraid to get dirty in the

corners. It isn't really always a matter of benching someone, but not being married to a line when

somebody gives you the assets you need. (Nice little shiner Chara has too!!)

The other thing was Novotny just didn't seem to have his game. He was out of position on the first Boston goal and He missed an easy pass to Gaustad

shorthanded and was caught out of position coming back for a Boston power play goal.

He didn't seem to be skating well. No problem - plug in Goose. That's the option depth gives you.

Edit: I meant Kotalik not Briere

I think Gaustad and Drury work well together. They did last year. I haven't been a big fan of the Drury line this year....most of Chris's goals have come on the PP. If Gaustad stays....it leaves 2 smart hard working guys, and then Kotalik can freelance and snipe a little more like last night. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hecht and Kotalik swap lines at some point. Lindy loves tinkering, and he only has stayed put so far because we are on that streak. I really don't know how you break up that Max line though.

Meanwhile, I trust that everyone is glad that we didn't let Max go in the offseason?

wow - good call. where's the smug smirk icon when you need it?

i was probably one of the morons who posted (or at least thought) that we'd seen max's entire upside, and could afford to part ways with him if need be.

that guy has been a revelation thus far this year -- if he keeps this up, he'll be a top 20 player in the league (and arguably the best player on our team).

I think it was a few factors. Putting Gaustad on the ice with Drury and Kotalik gives you two dangerous options on a draw if you put Goose in the circle, and he is not afraid to get dirty in the

corners. It isn't really always a matter of benching someone, but not being married to a line when

somebody gives you the assets you need. (Nice little shiner Chara has too!!)

The other thing was Novotny just didn't seem to have his game. He was out of position on the first Boston goal and He missed an easy pass to Gaustad

shorthanded and was caught out of position coming back for a Boston power play goal.

He didn't seem to be skating well. No problem - plug in Goose. That's the option depth gives you.

Edit: I meant Kotalik not Briere

good and interesting thoughts.

i'd like to see more of gaustad. i think drury likes to skate with a guy who can play theway gaustad does (paging mr. grier).

Peters going offsides early in the game was pretty funny. Either...

A. he didn't realize the puck was still outside the blueline

B. he doesn't have the ability to stop and stradle the blueline.

C. unexplainable

Joking aside, I thought this was another game where the 4th line did not do a lot of banging. If you are not scoring(Mair and Peters have 0 points combined and the trio has ZERO goals), you have to contribute in other ways. If they are not banging, they need to sit for a game or two, because it is important that this team can roll 4 lines and wear out the opponent.

Good points on the 4th line. Really, with the Sabres IR'ing Timmay, I wouldn't be surprised to see them call someone up for both depth and for a kick in the pants for some of the guys who are still struggling with effort or results. Not to pile on Peters, his role as an enforcer is fine, but I don't see him contributing much more, and would much rather see someone who will take advantage of his ice time, and can be used throughout the game.

Agree on the 4th line and Novotny, but I thought there were a number of passengers last night, including Roy, Briere, Lydman and Campbell. I thought Miller played quite well, unlike vs. Atlanta (even though he let in the same # of goals). Also, Vanek wasn't productive, but his hustle and pay-the-price-in-front seems to be consistently good these days.

There were an AWFUL lot of passengers for most of the game last night...

Archived