Pickup Leagues

shrader

Out of curiosity what is everyone shelling out for leagues/sticktime.

For me in Atlanta:

Ice League - 20 games + playoffs: $420 (x2 seasons per year)

Inline - 10 games + playoffs: $110 (x 3 seasons per year)

(Tournaments vary by prices, usually depending on location)

Sticktime Ice: $8 or $10 for 2hrs...depends on rink.

Sticktime Inline: Free

Granted Atlanta only has 6 sheets of ice...7 if you count Phillips Arena.

Inline rinks (that I know of): 5 indoor, 3 covered.

Of course this also doesn't take into account money spent on equipment and I don't even want to think about that.

PS If my girl ever saw this post and figured out what I shell out, she'd wreck me :nana:

PS If my girl ever saw this post and figured out what I shell out, she'd wreck me :nana:

Dude, if she's just 'your girl' and not your wife, it's none of her GD business what you spend on hockey. In fact, I'd say don't marry any girl that doesn't understand your passion for the game and complains about hockey. Someday, you'd be forced to make a decision between your girl and hockey, and that just ain't right.

If you ever hear, "If you go play hockey today, you don't love me", run as fast as you can for the hills because it will become a nightmare after that. Friggin broads!

By the way, my league costs around $400.00 for 20 games and 2 playoff games. My pickup costs 90 bucks every other month, and we get 1.25 hours of ice time, at 9PM every Thursday. Gear I get cheap from my goalie who is a clubhouse volunteer for the Capitals. He sells me the stuff they don't want. I picked up a nice pair of NHL CCM pants for 70 bucks last year. Also, being a ref, I get a nice discount at the two pro shops I frequent, and they never charge me for sharpening. Another bonus for you, Shrader! (I know you're reading this!)

By the way, my league costs around $400.00 for 20 games and 2 playoff games. My pickup costs 90 bucks every other month, and we get 1.25 hours of ice time, at 9PM every Thursday. Gear I get cheap from my goalie who is a clubhouse volunteer for the Capitals. He sells me the stuff they don't want. I picked up a nice pair of NHL CCM pants for 70 bucks last year. Also, being a ref, I get a nice discount at the two pro shops I frequent, and they never charge me for sharpening. Another bonus for you, Shrader! (I know you're reading this!)

I meant to ask you about him. Bill was the former goalie for our B2 team and they kicked him to the curb because he was a psycho...

Cool. Very cool. :beer:

But what was your +/-? ;)

It also doesn't count as a goal if you put it in your own net.

So my next game is going to be an adventure. I came down with some nasty stomach bug this weekend and haven't eaten a thing. The game's tuesday and I'll be playing no matter how weak I am.

Cool. Very cool. :beer:

But what was your +/-? ;)

We only had two lines. At worst I was even, but I could have been a +1 or a +2.

It also doesn't count as a goal if you put it in your own net.

I didn't do that, but one of my goals was so weak that it may have skipped once or twice on the way to the net. :bag:

I countered that with a nice breakaway where I got in the shooting position and just waited him out. He went to the butterfly and I put high glove side.

Walking all over the team that opened up our season with a 9-2 defeat is very pleasing. We beat them 6-1 yesterday in probably the best team effort we've put up all year. I added a couple assists and would've had a few more if my teammates would finally realize that I can hit anyone anywhere with a pass.

And what's a shrader post without a ref rant. At one point, the other team had 6 guys on the ice for about 30 seconds, with our entire bench yelling to the refs about it. Its something I've in this league, the refs will not do anything if you're screaming at them. The problem this time is, how else can we let them know about the 6 guys on the ice?

Walking all over the team that opened up our season with a 9-2 defeat is very pleasing. We beat them 6-1 yesterday in probably the best team effort we've put up all year. I added a couple assists and would've had a few more if my teammates would finally realize that I can hit anyone anywhere with a pass.

And what's a shrader post without a ref rant. At one point, the other team had 6 guys on the ice for about 30 seconds, with our entire bench yelling to the refs about it. Its something I've in this league, the refs will not do anything if you're screaming at them. The problem this time is, how else can we let them know about the 6 guys on the ice?

If the ENTIRE bench was screaming, I can assure you that the ref could NOT understand what was being said. Now if it were only ONE person screaming, it would be more intelligible. I just had this situation the other night where the entire bench was screaming at me because a defender froze the puck in his own crease. My partner and I agreed that there should be no penalty shot because he was already on the ice, in the crease, when the puck was pushed under him. He made no effort to cover it, and he was under no obligation to move, either.

I yelled back at the bench that I wanted ONE person to yell at me, not the entire bench. I then calmly explained to the coach that the above scenario does not call for a penalty shot.

Guys just don't get it sometimes. If more than one guy is yelling, NOBODY can understand what they're saying.

And really, Shrader, would you be quick to respond to a group of people that were yelling directly at you, or would you get pissed off, yourself?

And really, Shrader, would you be quick to respond to a group of people that were yelling directly at you, or would you get pissed off, yourself?

There was nothing important happening on the ice at the moment, so if that was me, I'd probably wonder what it was they were yelling about. Eventually the one guy figured it out. He saw the 6 guys, then hesitated for about 15 more seconds for some reason. It was pretty funny.

The whole situation was one of the stranger one's I've ever seen. Right as a penalty expired for the other team, one guy left the box and another left the bench. Both went right into the offensive zone, 5 guys down low and one on the point. If Koharski wasn't calling the game, it would've been called much quicker.

• 1 year later...

My thread still lives! Sadly, many ref rants have been lost.

So for all of you playing in leagues, is your scheduling as bad as ours is? I'm in the middle of a 3 week layoff. The last game was after 2 weeks off. So yeah, 2 games in 5 weeks is pathetic. We play a poor team game as is, but the rust will make things even worse.

My thread still lives! Sadly, many ref rants have been lost.

So for all of you playing in leagues, is your scheduling as bad as ours is? I'm in the middle of a 3 week layoff. The last game was after 2 weeks off. So yeah, 2 games in 5 weeks is pathetic. We play a poor team game as is, but the rust will make things even worse.

Finishing third we were "lucky" enough to get a bye in the first round. But playing only once a week just makes it hurt that much more the next day. To make it worse, our reward was to play sunday and monday the following week.

We just had our first-round playoff game. We had a bit of a scare with the 4th place team, as we only had a 2-0 lead beginning the third. Then they scored 56 seconds into the third off a mad scramble. I almost stopped it from going in, but it got about 1 inch over the line before I pulled it out.

After a lot of bitching and moaning on the bench, I took things into my own hands, pinched into the attacking corner, pulled off a few spin moves to get away, and found the center cruising through the slot all alone. Nice pass, one-timer, 3-1 lead to break their backs. We tacked on another to win it 4-1.

The problem we have every year is that the first playoff game is always followed by a 1-week layoff, then we play in the championship game and are rusty from the layoff. It's a bigger concern for me this year, because I'm out of town for work and will miss my pick-up session next Thursday, which normally keeps me and my d-partner sharp.

Let's go Blackhawks!

I just started playing hockey again. I'm playing floor hockey in Arlington, VA. I had foot & ankle surgery a year and a half ago, so I want to give my foot more time before I get on skates.

My first game back, I took a slapshot to the mouth, which busted open the inside of my mouth. Luckily, it was a ball not a puck, otherwise I would have been missing some teeth.

I received an email from a fellow official who had been struck in the face with a puck. No shield. I think a shield may have deflected this blow, but I can't be sure.

Any of you who play hockey without a full cage are just nuts. We're not pros; there's no reason not to protect ourselves from a puck or errant stick. I know that my cage gets hit all the time with stuff.

Here's the text of the email I received, look at the hole in his face below his left eye and above his mouth:

"After 23 years of officiating without a face mask I finally took a puck in the face last Wednesday while officiating at Ice Zone down here in Palm Beach.

I was midway up on the boards and did not anticipate the deflection of a clearing pass up into my face and had about 1/10 of a second to start to turn before I felt (and heard!) the puck hit my face. According to the CT Scan (below)... I was very lucky. Another 1/2 inch up and my eye socket would have been shattered and I would be having some extensive surgery to rebuild it so I wouldn't have double vision. Another 1/2 inch down and the top of the jaw would have been broken and I'd be looking at 8 weeks with my jaw wired shut.

As it was, I got away with 16 stitches in the cheek and a bruise that went from my eye to my ear to my chin ... and having a permanent dent in my face.

I don't know if a half shield would have blocked it ... wouldn't have hurt, though.

You might take a look at the picture and think about whether the shield really is all that much of a pain in the butt."

post-24-1206032290_thumbjpg

I received an email from a fellow official who had been struck in the face with a puck. No shield. I think a shield may have deflected this blow, but I can't be sure.

Any of you who play hockey without a full cage are just nuts. We're not pros; there's no reason not to protect ourselves from a puck or errant stick. I know that my cage gets hit all the time with stuff.

Here's the text of the email I received, look at the hole in his face below his left eye and above his mouth:

"After 23 years of officiating without a face mask I finally took a puck in the face last Wednesday while officiating at Ice Zone down here in Palm Beach.

I was midway up on the boards and did not anticipate the deflection of a clearing pass up into my face and had about 1/10 of a second to start to turn before I felt (and heard!) the puck hit my face. According to the CT Scan (below)... I was very lucky. Another 1/2 inch up and my eye socket would have been shattered and I would be having some extensive surgery to rebuild it so I wouldn't have double vision. Another 1/2 inch down and the top of the jaw would have been broken and I'd be looking at 8 weeks with my jaw wired shut.

As it was, I got away with 16 stitches in the cheek and a bruise that went from my eye to my ear to my chin ... and having a permanent dent in my face.

I don't know if a half shield would have blocked it ... wouldn't have hurt, though.

You might take a look at the picture and think about whether the shield really is all that much of a pain in the butt."

That is an eye opener. I started wearing one during my roller hockey league about 5 years ago. I was playing in a game wher I saw a guy get tangled up along the boards with another player (he wasnt wearing a face mask at all). Got his stick caught in the boards and his skates and arms tied up, and went straight to the floor, nose first.

Never seen that much blood live and in person in my entire life...I went out as soon as the game was over and bought a full shield.

I've never played without a cage. Hell, the one time I decided to mess around on the ice with my helmet off, I ended up with 11 stitches over my left eyebrow. This conversation does remind me of the fact that I went out and got a neck guard. I've had it over a month but only wore it once (stupid schedule). It's definitely a different feeling wearing it, but its not uncomfortable.

I'm always amazed when I see people at our level playing without a full mask. I just don't feel comfortable without it . I think I probably play a little more aggressively with it as well because I'm not afraid.

Does the neck guard really seem like it would protect you? Whenever I see them it just looks like there is still too much exposed to do any good. I guess even a little more protection is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
We just had our first-round playoff game. We had a bit of a scare with the 4th place team, as we only had a 2-0 lead beginning the third. Then they scored 56 seconds into the third off a mad scramble. I almost stopped it from going in, but it got about 1 inch over the line before I pulled it out.

After a lot of bitching and moaning on the bench, I took things into my own hands, pinched into the attacking corner, pulled off a few spin moves to get away, and found the center cruising through the slot all alone. Nice pass, one-timer, 3-1 lead to break their backs. We tacked on another to win it 4-1.

The problem we have every year is that the first playoff game is always followed by a 1-week layoff, then we play in the championship game and are rusty from the layoff. It's a bigger concern for me this year, because I'm out of town for work and will miss my pick-up session next Thursday, which normally keeps me and my d-partner sharp.

Let's go Blackhawks!

Well, after three consecutive tries since I've been on this team, we finally won the championship. The forwards finally decided to score some goals for us in a championship game! YEAHHHH!!! Lot's of Molson was consumed in celebration (I wasn't driving!).

We destroyed the #2 seed 8-1. We were up 6-0 after the second period, and then the other team's whack-job of a goalie just up and left.

Way to go Blackhawks!

Here's a picture of me in the box. At least the guy I took down didn't score, and we ended up scoring 2 goals while I was in the box during the 4-on-4!

post-24-1206972175_thumbjpg

HOLY CRAP. I'm keeping the cage on.

I haven't played much organized roller or ice hockey, but the first roller hockey league I played in I was the only one on my team and one of just a handful of guys who wore the full cage. So I thought I'd play a game or two with it and see if it I really needed it, if it affected my vision, etc. On the second shift of my first game I caught a rebound/deflection off the left-middle section of the cage - since the puck was moving upward I have no doubt that even a half-shield would have been useless and it would have hit me somewhere right below my left eye. The cage stayed on and by the end of the year there were a couple extra guys wearing cages (not because of me, but I think some of the wives/girlfriends were chirping at them.)

Here's a picture of me in the box. At least the guy I took down didn't score, and we ended up scoring 2 goals while I was in the box during the 4-on-4!

At least you picked a good jersey number.

My regular season finally ended last night. I can't believe a 9-4 loss was a very positive experience, but it was. We're a mid-C level team and we played a high B team. These guys were good. We were with them the whole way, right up until 2 soft goals with under 4 minutes left. Our problem the whole year is that we haven't played a very good team game. That hasn't been the case the last two weeks though. We should make a good run in the playoffs playing against teams at our own level if we keep playing like last night. They start up next week tuesday, double elimination. I'm just glad I lucked out and won't miss a game while I'm in Denver for the Frozen Four next week (leave wednesday).

I'm also trying this new friendly attitude towards the refs. So far so good.

Archived