Pickup Leagues

shrader

another ass whooping tonight - 11-2. :bag:

But, the hockey gods had a good laugh at my expense. All alone in fron of the net - I fired a wrist shot that hit post #1, then it went left at a 90 degree angle and hit post #2, which then it went back into play.... :censored:

One shot - two posts.... real funny. :angry:

We beat our archenemies last night, 6-3. I cranked a one-timer off the right post on the power play. Dammit!

They had a 1-0 lead. We had a 3-1 lead. They tied it. We scored 3 unanswered in the 3rd to skate away.

I had a collision with a jackass that was looking at the puck. I looked up after coming around the net, and he was looking at the puck to his right while skating right at me. I said, "Whoa!", and he looked at me just in time to eat my cage. His helmet flew off and he went down on his back. I only went to one knee, where he began to bitch at me. He continued his bitching on the bench, telling me to keep my head up. I just laughed at him. I laughed even more after the game. You lose jackass! If I would've tried to avoid the hit, I probably would've gotten a knee injury, so I braced for it, and drilled him.

I love beating those jerks!

I just started playing ice again after a decade layoff. Forgot how much I missed it. I have been playing inline the past few years, so I my skills weren't completely rusty, but lets just say the first few times back on the ice were.....ehhh, interesting.

Six games into the season and I'm skating well again and my stickhandling is coming around. Now here's the issue I have with men's league hockey. It's a freakin lumberjack convention. I get hit in the cage probably twice a game (finally ditched the half shield, but took one in the throat last night while carrying the puck through the neutral zone), and most people don't even bother to play the puck, they just try to slash the hell out of your hands. I don't mind when people play the body...it's a hockey fundamental, but the stickwork is ridiculous.

Not to offend anyone learning the game, but several guys have told me that the more skilled leagues don't have as much chopping going on, so I plan on moving up as soon as I can.

Game tonight. I can't wait. Maybe I'll even stop passing so much and take a few shots. The roommate's been picking on me for not scoring goals, so maybe I should finally shut him up.

Hit the goalie in the throat with a snap shot early, and he'll flinch the rest of the night. Good luck!

Not to offend anyone learning the game, but several guys have told me that the more skilled leagues don't have as much chopping going on, so I plan on moving up as soon as I can.

you're exactly right. i was playing in the "b league" but suited up as a defenceman (i've played left wing for over 10 years) last week for a "d league" team to help out a friend who's team was really short handed. i can't tell you how many times i got slashed. a lot of the beginner players down here (tampa) don't understand the fundamentals. they watch hockey on tv, see the stickwork, see the fights, and want to emulate it. they never go through drills or practices like people who played youth hockey did. i actually got a b.s. penalty for checking a guy and the other team's fans (yes they had fans) went nuts on me, calling me every name in the book. it was pretty wild. especially when one of the wives from my team challenged a chick from the other team's fans to fight right behind the penalty box. that's something i'm not used to.

you're exactly right. i was playing in the "b league" but suited up as a defenceman (i've played left wing for over 10 years) last week for a "d league" team to help out a friend who's team was really short handed. i can't tell you how many times i got slashed. a lot of the beginner players down here (tampa) don't understand the fundamentals. they watch hockey on tv, see the stickwork, see the fights, and want to emulate it. they never go through drills or practices like people who played youth hockey did. i actually got a b.s. penalty for checking a guy and the other team's fans (yes they had fans) went nuts on me, calling me every name in the book. it was pretty wild. especially when one of the wives from my team challenged a chick from the other team's fans to fight right behind the penalty box. that's something i'm not used to.

I'm in a C league and there's a pretty interesting mix of skill. You have the guys who have played a long time and then you have some of the beginners (been playing maybe 4-5 years) who are trying to step it up a level. The thing I always find strange is that almost all the penalties (mostly tripping calls) are weak ones where a weak skater falls, while the legit trips don't get called.

Anyway, I haven't seen too much stick work. It's mostly just stick on stick contact. I love knocking sticks out of people's hands as they park in front of our net. It never gets old.

I'm in a C league and there's a pretty interesting mix of skill. You have the guys who have played a long time and then you have some of the beginners (been playing maybe 4-5 years) who are trying to step it up a level. The thing I always find strange is that almost all the penalties (mostly tripping calls) are weak ones where a weak skater falls, while the legit trips don't get called.

Anyway, I haven't seen too much stick work. It's mostly just stick on stick contact. I love knocking sticks out of people's hands as they park in front of our net. It never gets old.

Under the new standards of enforcement, that constitutes slashing or interference. You're lucky it's not getting called. And yes, I'm a referee.

Under the new standards of enforcement, that constitutes slashing or interference. You're lucky it's not getting called. And yes, I'm a referee.

Didn't you mention earlier that you are a ref? Anyway, I'm playing in way too many 10PM games where the refs just want to get out of there. I can get away with almost anything.

And I just remember something about tonight's game. This is our 3rd game in this town (the league jumps around from rink to rink). The last two we had the ~300lb ref that I have nicknamed Koharski. I bet we get stuck with him again. God he's worthless. Luckily the guy that refs with him has one hell of a sense of humor.

Oh, and since you're a ref, maybe you can answer this one for me. Is there any kind of enforcement for crease violations? One game they blew the whistle immediately and took the faceoff outside because I skated through the edge of the crease. I've done it a hundred times since and it hasn't been called again.

Didn't you mention earlier that you are a ref? Anyway, I'm playing in way too many 10PM games where the refs just want to get out of there. I can get away with almost anything.

And I just remember something about tonight's game. This is our 3rd game in this town (the league jumps around from rink to rink). The last two we had the ~300lb ref that I have nicknamed Koharski. I bet we get stuck with him again. God he's worthless. Luckily the guy that refs with him has one hell of a sense of humor.

Oh, and since you're a ref, maybe you can answer this one for me. Is there any kind of enforcement for crease violations? One game they blew the whistle immediately and took the faceoff outside because I skated through the edge of the crease. I've done it a hundred times since and it hasn't been called again.

Not everyone remembers that I'm a ref, so when I'm spouting about the rules, I mention it again. Thanks for remembering.

I hate when I have a useless partner; makes my job so much more difficult. And yes, guys do want to get out of there later at night. Can you blame them, really? I only skate men's games that get me home before midnight, otherwise it's just not worth it.

The crease violation should only be called if the player is planted in the crease, AND his team has possession of the puck. The faceoff should be at the nearest neutral zone faceoff spot. The guy who was blowing the whistle was either new or being way overzealous.

Unfortunately, there's always a shortage of officials, so the crappy ones get into games they have no business being in. It's a numbers thing.

I started reffing because the refs we got at Sabreland when I played there in the mid 90's sucked azz, and I knew I could do better. I think I've proven that theory to be correct, as I regularly skate in District Championships and have skated one year in the Nationals (2003). It's good money Shrader; you should give it a try sometime.

USA Hockey Rulebook

So we tied 2-2 last night. We were all over the team but couldn't put the puck in the net. I had one of the most frustrating 3 minute stretches last night. I started off by scoring a goal to make it 3-1 but the ref said he blew the whistle before it went in (he didn't... damn Koharski, have another donut you fat pig). Then a few minutes later I set up the other teams tying goal.

It's funny that I brought up the crease violation thing, because I got warned about it last night. The problem was that this rink had a horrible paint job. You can barely see any of the lines. At one point, I was trying to stay onside and then I realized that I was already about 3 feet in the zone. Anyway, I got back at the crease warning ref later in the game by knocking him into our bench (unintentional).

I lived right next to the rink in Elyria, Ohio. $322.00 per month for a 1 bedroom apartment!

North Park

These are all the rinks that I've skated at, whether it be playing or officiating, in the Cleveland area.

Brooklyn

Garfield Heights

Winterhurst (Lakewood)

North Olmsted

Barons Arena (Brooklyn/Parma)

Parma

Parma Heights

Rocky River

Metroplex (Warrensville Heights)

DC, thanks for the links. I am checking with a couple of them to see what kind of learn to skate/beginner's hockey programs they have.

Actually ran into someone we all know a couple months ago. I was walking through the Southpark Mall in Strongsville, heading toward the new Dick's that just opened. In the mall entrance area leading into Dick's there was a kiddie playground area - a bounce house or something like that - and I saw a very tall, thin blond-haired guy standing there talking to some other parents. Couldn't quite place the face right away, but as we kept walking toward Dick's I realized who it was - said to my wife "that was Mike Wilson from the Sabres" and a woman in front of us stopped turned around and looked at us, kind of like "how did he know that?" Got home and looked to see why he might be in that mall, and it turns out that he lives in Ohio now and is part of PuckMasters Hockey Franchise. Go figure.

Check out the link, and scroll down about halfway for Mike's quotes...

i start learning to skate this coming sunday at 4pm in waltham, ma. $160 for 9 lessons...i hope to advance beyond the floor hockey realm (~3yrs now) by next winter.

to the guy that said he first stood on skates at 33, thank you. it was because of that post that i decided to make the jump myself at 32.

i start learning to skate this coming sunday at 4pm in waltham, ma. $160 for 9 lessons...i hope to advance beyond the floor hockey realm (~3yrs now) by next winter.

to the guy that said he first stood on skates at 33, thank you. it was because of that post that i decided to make the jump myself at 32.

The skating lessons will serve you well. Once you feel comfortable on your feet (balance, etc...) I highly recommend Laura Stamm's power skating DVD. It's nice to watch real skating drills so you know what to do when you go practice on your own.

What I learned is that just because I could go counter-clockwise and stop - it didn't mean I had reasonable control of my feet. The right drills will do wonders for your skating.

sounds exactly like me - did mostly the floor hockey thing for about 10 years in various WNY places - Sabreland (before they turned the dek rink into a skate park) Cruisers, Scoops, Mil-Sher and the Niagara Ice Pavillion, and a little roller hockey stuff - Mil-Sher and Niagara Ice Pavillion. But I never played any sort of ice hockey - the only time I have been on skates is at Sabreland open skate nights. I'm 31, and I am looking forward to getting on the ice to help me get back into shape and get back in touch with the game, so thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

Ice time sounds like a good thing. I wish I could get more of that instead of the one game a week deal we have going on right now. I'm coming off a 7 year break from hockey and then another 2 year break, so there's definitely a comfort issue out there. I know I'll never be as comfortable as I was 10 years ago, but I know I can be better. I just wish it wasn't next to impossible to find ice time out here in Boston.

Just thinking out loud. Any interest in a SabresSpace pickup game in Buffalo over the Xmas holidays?

ive never played ice, im 21 and want to pick it up..too late to start and if not, where can i join a beginners leauge where i wont get runover by guys who are wayyy out of my leauge? im in amherst so any suggestions are welcome

Never too late to start. Check the local rinks' websites. They should have at least a contact # if not more info on their men's leagues. A lot of places now have "learn the game" leagues. I believe Holiday and Leisure have beginner leagues. Like others said..don't be afraid to take a learn to skate course. No matter how good people are, we all started out the same way. Spending time falling on our a**.

The right drills will do wonders for your skating.

Haven't seen any evidence of that yet, Scott!

Just kidding! :nana:

How much money is "good"?

Over the course of a year, I average $400.00 per month. I don't skate a lot in the summer because I have a boat, so some months during the season, I make over $600.00. Getting paid to exercise and have fun. What a hoot!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, and now my real reason for starting this thread. 3 weeks ago I decided that my goal for the season was to get someone to throw a punch. I've been having a ton of fun in the Barnaby pest mode, so that seemed like the perfect goal. Well, last night that goal was accomplished. Bastard hacked our goalie really hard about 5 seconds after a whistle and obviously there's no way I'm going to let that go. I take a run at the guy and he throws an upper cut at me (might have caught a butt end in that one too). I ended up with a nice little gash on my chin (battle scars rule), but that idiot lost out on the collision. I love hockey.

We play this team again tonight. This should be good. I'll try to avoid the stupidity, if anyone actually cares.

We play this team again tonight. This should be good. I'll try to avoid the stupidity, if anyone actually cares.

I found a much better way to get back at this team. Scoring the GWG with under 2 minutes left in a 1-0 game is the way to go. It even makes up for the cross check I took to the throat earlier in the game (no penalty called, as usual).

Yes, I realize that I'm talking to myself in here now.

I found a much better way to get back at this team. Scoring the GWG with under 2 minutes left in a 1-0 game is the way to go. It even makes up for the cross check I took to the throat earlier in the game (no penalty called, as usual).

Yes, I realize that I'm talking to myself in here now.

it was 0-0 when you scored? Well done!

We have our 1st game in 16 days. I'm chomping at the bit!

Archived