Here we go again...

inkman

Shopp and the Bulldog claiming that all the jersey stuff that has leaked has been as a carefully executed plan by the Sabres brass. I wanted to have more faith in people than this, but I have officially taken the stance that these guys are completely full of puckey. I just want the hype machine to stop. Don't treat us like we are morons. It's obvious they are being told how to spin this is the Sabres favor. I'm #%^$#!ing done with these tools.

ink, do you really believe the leaks were accidental?

i didn't hear the company spin being spewed anywhere, but i will say this:

i don't know which would reflect worse on quinn's management of this particular matter: the conclusion that the leaks were all mistakes, that they were all intentional, or some combination thereof.

if they were all just mulligans and/or intentional dissemination by front office employees, then people should've been fired, arguably.

if it was part of some design to entice and titillate (huh, i said titillate), then ooo-la-frickin-la, larry --color me lathered.

if it was some combination, then i just get a pitiful keystone cop vibe.

According to Larry Quinn, the Sabres are petitioning the league to wear the vintage white jerseys in a few games later this season.

Also, the Sabres have the permission to wear the vintage 3rd jersey in the playoffs and Quinn said they would wear them in a deciding game for the Cup if the opportunity was there.

According to Larry Quinn, the Sabres are petitioning the league to wear the vintage white jerseys in a few games later this season.

Also, the Sabres have the permission to wear the vintage 3rd jersey in the playoffs and Quinn said they would wear them in a deciding game for the Cup if the opportunity was there.

Don't go wobbly now people.

We are WINNING this fight. Stay the course.

Salt the slug!

Not a chance in hell the Sabres wear third jersey to clinch the cup if the chance arises. As nice as the jerseys are, the Sabres have an unenviable record in the play-offs with those jerseys. For years the Sabres were an excellent regular season team that choked again and again in the play-offs. Not unlike certain Buffalo Bills teams, Minnesota Vikings, or even Dallas Mavericks and Sacremento Kings.

We can wear the jersey in the stands. Let the guys on the ice wear whatever jerseys they wore to get to a possible cup win. Hockey players are very superstitious, don't break their habits at the most critical time.

Since the Sabres have changed to the goat-head, they've actually had a respectable play-off team, despite not winning a cup. What's their play-off series record in the goat-head years? It must be good. I can remember wins over the Leafs, Canadiens, Flyers (2 or 3 times), Senators(2 or 3 times), all in all, a pretty satisfying run in those shirts. A new, winning tradition in play-offs has started to emerge....don't wear those cursed (even though I love those jerseys) old-school blue and golds in the play-offs, EVER again.

Not a chance in hell the Sabres wear third jersey to clinch the cup if the chance arises. As nice as the jerseys are, the Sabres have an unenviable record in the play-offs with those jerseys. For years the Sabres were an excellent regular season team that choked again and again in the play-offs. Not unlike certain Buffalo Bills teams, Minnesota Vikings, or even Dallas Mavericks and Sacremento Kings.

We can wear the jersey in the stands. Let the guys on the ice wear whatever jerseys they wore to get to a possible cup win. Hockey players are very superstitious, don't break their habits at the most critical time.

Since the Sabres have changed to the goat-head, they've actually had a respectable play-off team, despite not winning a cup. What's their play-off series record in the goat-head years? It must be good. I can remember wins over the Leafs, Canadiens, Flyers (2 or 3 times), Senators(2 or 3 times), all in all, a pretty satisfying run in those shirts. A new, winning tradition in play-offs has started to emerge....don't wear those cursed (even though I love those jerseys) old-school blue and golds in the play-offs, EVER again.

I got to Buffalo when I was in eigth grade in 1981 and for a 13-14 year stretch they had two playoff series wins. People forget how bad it was. The Bills four super bowl losses had nothing on that choke job. For that reason I think the goathead should have been integrated somehow in the new uniform (shoulder etc.), just to commemorate what a good era it was.

Salt the slug!

Dave, I don't think now is the problem. The uproar will continue for a couple days, probably until around 1 p.m. Sunday when the Bills kick off against the Dolphins, and then it will be wait n' see until A) the team's first big winning streak; B) the Christmas shopping season, b/c you know every little kid is going to want the new, cool Sabres jersey under the tree; and C) when the team starts making its playoff push/run. If the slug sales struggle through those three big events, then the team might get the message that fans don't like the slug, and they should change the logo.

I got to Buffalo when I was in eigth grade in 1981 and for a 13-14 year stretch they had two playoff series wins. People forget how bad it was. The Bills four super bowl losses had nothing on that choke job. For that reason I think the goathead should have been integrated somehow in the new uniform (shoulder etc.), just to commemorate what a good era it was.

Given the choice, I would rather have had kept the goathead in a B&G format instead of the slug. Then we could have incorporated the best of both eras - the Sabres' playoff success in the black & red, and the updated B&G scheme that pays homage to the Knoxes, Perrault and all the other great players, and the fans who supported the team through its infancy.

Unfortunately the goathead also symbolizes the Rigas Error Era,and the near-loss of our franchise, and I can understand why people want the symbol of that era flushed down a toilet...

i don't know which would reflect worse on quinn's management of this particular matter: the conclusion that the leaks were all mistakes, that they were all intentional, or some combination thereof.

if it was some combination, then i just get a pitiful keystone cop vibe.

This is exactly my point. (thanks aud) What a bunch of bumbling fools they would look like for any of this to be planned. Did they all sit in a board room and lay down the plan.

1. We need to get our new logo out there to generate buzz. Any ideas? Perfect. Lets pretend that our logo got hijacked at the manufacturer. Awesome idea.

2. I anticipate that their will be a lot of negative reaction to the logo. We need to have an improptu press conference to spin this positively. We will use the old logo as our third jersey. Excellent. Where can we get the original logo? I got a jersey at home. Perfect.

3. It's right before the unveiling. We want more people to attend so we can maximize profits. What can we do? Someone go take a picture of the new logo on the ice with their phone. We need the photo to look "unprofessional". What else can we do? Let's create some hokey countdown to the logo BS on Sabres.com. Those guys are technilogical geniouses. Here is the best part. It won't actually be a countdown, you can just refresh the page and more and more of the jersey will appear. This is sheer brillance.

Call me a cynic, but I have a hard time believing the events took place in any form close to what I said.

Salt the slug!

ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!

Is Quinny in the bunker or has he come out to see which way the wind is blowing? Larry...come out come out wherever you are. You can run, but you can't hide. :angry:

I think the leaks were the result of poor management. Were their any leaks with the Goathead?

Just remeber the advent of the internet has made leaking things alot easier... in 1996 the internet was but a small portion of our communications pallet... Now its everything to us... and what a great medium it is...

Shopp and the Bulldog claiming that all the jersey stuff that has leaked has been as a carefully executed plan by the Sabres brass. I wanted to have more faith in people than this, but I have officially taken the stance that these guys are completely full of puckey. I just want the hype machine to stop. Don't treat us like we are morons. It's obvious they are being told how to spin this is the Sabres favor. I'm #%^$#!ing done with these tools.

It's all spin...Unless the Three Stooges are back. If this was an exucuted plan, I would really question the motives of the marketing team.

"OK, we have a logo that has already caused an uproar among the fans, let's F' with them a little more."

If this indeed was planned, the entire marketing team should be fired right now. The plan was weak and the execution was piss poor. That is, unless the plan was to stumble blindly around making knee jerk reactions to placate fans in the wrong fashion . Too bad in the world of marketing a person who can make it all shiny and throw some quality spin out there = promotion.

Just remeber the advent of the internet has made leaking things alot easier... in 1996 the internet was but a small portion of our communications pallet... Now its everything to us... and what a great medium it is...

The advent of the internet makes the dissemination of the leak much easier, but it still requires human screwups to happen. The team and Rbk could have (and should have) created a contract/agreement for all those involved in the design and release stating that the team could pursue legal action against an person who leaks anything specific about the logo. I worked with a cable network that had a reality show, and as part of the P.R. team, I had access to who would win the show and who was eliminated each week - but were I to divulge that to anyone without the network's approval, I faced up to a year in jail and a $1M fine. I kept my mouth shut so tight it wasn't funny - I didn't even risk telling anyone in my family, wife included.

Salt the slug!

Not really, I heard on Friday, maybe it was, that Vancouver has asked the league to okay a 3rd throwback-style jersey that will be a replica of their navy blue road jerseys with the 1970 logo. And they want to wear it against the Sabres on January 19th, since they were both the expansion teams in 1970.

And since the Canucks are wearing their original uniform, which is blue, the Sabres have asked permission from the league to add the white original uniform to their list for that one game.

Archived