Another sweater thread

PASabreFan

In the opening minutes of the first broadcast of the year, Jim Lorentz is going to say the following. I would bet my left nut on it.

JL: You know, partner, there's been a lot of talk about the new logo. But I really like it. I think it looks sharp.

To his credit, RJ will not actually answer but will make a sound that can be interpreted in any number of ways: "MmmmHmmm."

I'll even Namath that prediction. I guarantee it.

i could see it... too bad there on sabres payroll..... there going to be forced to hype it up and put down the red and black and just highlight how great the old blue and gold "WAS" and how this is a great "DIRECTION" to move "FORWARD" in, lol... trigger words... listen for it.

In the opening minutes of the first broadcast of the year, Jim Lorentz is going to say the following. I would bet my left nut on it.

JL: You know, partner, there's been a lot of talk about the new logo. But I really like it. I think it looks sharp.

To his credit, RJ will not actually answer but will make a sound that can be interpreted in any number of ways: "MmmmHmmm."

It's hockey. You don't "Namath" something, you "Messier" it.

Plus, I'm going with Crusho on the grumble.

Honestly, who cares. The Sabres are going to be a good team in ugly uniforms. Let's save the rest for the ' Eye,' and 'What not to Wear' message boards.

Honestly, who cares. The Sabres are going to be a good team in ugly uniforms. Let's save the rest for the ' Eye,' and 'What not to Wear' message boards.

What the hell else do you want to talk about? Football? Politics? This is all we've got right now.

(EDIT: I hope that those who have been unfortunate enough to read my recent off-topic posts on football and politics can read the sarcasm without my resort to one of those yellow things to the left.)

Unfortunately, in this day and age, a sports team is what it wears. For two long seasons in the mid-seventies, the California Golden Seals played in uniforms that looked like they HAD been designed by one of the " Eye.." guys. They were Pacific blue (or teal, depending on who you ask), with yellow and white trim. Those were and still are the most hideous hockey uniforms known to mankind. I don't think any other team in the NHL took the Seals seriously those two seasons (I know I didn't).

I'm hoping very seriously that whatever surprise awaits us concerning the new Sabres unis, that at least they look masculine and tough. I'd even settle for striking. But if they wind up looking like spacemen or robots, we are in for a very long season even if we win 90% of our games.

-Ed B-)

Unfortunately, in this day and age, a sports team is what it wears. For two long seasons in the mid-seventies, the California Golden Seals played in uniforms that looked like they HAD been designed by one of the " Eye.." guys. They were Pacific blue (or teal, depending on who you ask), with yellow and white trim. Those were and still are the most hideous hockey uniforms known to mankind. I don't think any other team in the NHL took the Seals seriously those two seasons (I know I didn't).

I'm hoping very seriously that whatever surprise awaits us concerning the new Sabres unis, that at least they look masculine and tough. I'd even settle for striking. But if they wind up looking like spacemen or robots, we are in for a very long season even if we win 90% of our games.

-Ed B-)

Don't forget the WHITE skates Finley put them in. I still remember being a youngster, seeing those uniforms with white skates AND learning that CAROL Vadnais played for them. I momentarly thought that, unlike the good old Bisons, these "new" Sabres played in a coed league!

Good job PA. I say this because you were reading my mind.

This morning, I'm driving on the thruway thinking about this pending debacle of a uniform we're going to be subject to for the next couple of years. Then, my mind switches to the first telecast. Flashy new intro.... new music.... slugs dancing everywhere... maybe a Sabre somewhere...but I doubt that. Anyway, up come Rick and Jim wearing the new uniforms. Then I thought to myself "Jim Lorentz will never fashion the slug" He is there wearing the original road uni and the man who makes suspenders fashionable, is wearing the new slug home uni. Both are talking about the greatness of the new uniform blah blah blah.

Needless to say, I pulled over and puked.

If I was in Buffalo this weekend, I'd boo when they came out on the ice... This is odd since I love the Sabres. I would have to preface my booing by saying I'm booing Larry Quinn and not the players. But, it being what it is, Quinn has us all looking like fools booing the almost ECF Champs last year. I hate that man.

Go Slug..er Sabres

Good job PA. I say this because you were reading my mind.

This morning, I'm driving on the thruway thinking about this pending debacle of a uniform we're going to be subject to for the next couple of years. Then, my mind switches to the first telecast. Flashy new intro.... new music.... slugs dancing everywhere... maybe a Sabre somewhere...but I doubt that. Anyway, up come Rick and Jim wearing the new uniforms. Then I thought to myself "Jim Lorentz will never fashion the slug" He is there wearing the original road uni and the man who makes suspenders fashionable, is wearing the new slug home uni. Both are talking about the greatness of the new uniform blah blah blah.

Needless to say, I pulled over and puked.

If I was in Buffalo this weekend, I'd boo when they came out on the ice... This is odd since I love the Sabres. I would have to preface my booing by saying I'm booing Larry Quinn and not the players. But, it being what it is, Quinn has us all looking like fools booing the almost ECF Champs last year. I hate that man.

Go Slug..er Sabres

That makes sense, boo the players. They were the ones who designed the uniforms.

That makes sense, boo the players. They were the ones who designed the uniforms.

Obviously you didn't finish reading.

Again, here's part of my earlier post:

I would have to preface my booing by saying I'm booing Larry Quinn and not the players..

Actually a lot of people I've talked to, including myself think the new uniforms look pretty pimp... much better than was expected when the slug logo leaked earlier in the summer. The color scheme is awesome, and it makes the slug logo tolerable. The jersey number beneath the front shoulder looks really cool.... Apparently it might be hard for a lot of posters here to believe, but there are quite a few people who actually like the new jerseys...

Actually a lot of people I've talked to, including myself think the new uniforms look pretty pimp... much better than was expected when the slug logo leaked earlier in the summer. The color scheme is awesome, and it makes the slug logo tolerable. The jersey number beneath the front shoulder looks really cool.... Apparently it might be hard for a lot of posters here to believe, but there are quite a few people who actually like the new jerseys...

I'm sure there will be. And there will be people who think that they look ugly. But when it come right down to it, what difference does it make? I buy Sabres jerseys because I like wearing them when I watch the team play. I don't wear them when I take my wife for a night out on the town (unless we're going to a hockey game).

So I'm going to buy one of each, so that when I get home from work on gamenights, I can put on a jersey, crack open a beer, and watch the Sabres kick ass.

OK, two things - first, that's twice I've seen you refer to the new sweaters as "pimp." Now I am not an old man by any stretch, but I've gotta whistle you for a 2-minute penalty on that reference. That's 2 minutes for abuse of an overused MTV Cribs colloquialism.

Second, to debate your point a little - there are around 30,000 people who hate the slug (check the petition) and if you read some of the poster's thoughts on this board, you'd see that a lot of us like the design of the new sweaters, the colors, etc. - just not the snot stain in the middle of the chest. I'll bet that when the white threads come out, the slug stain will be more pronounced and won't look as tolerable.

OK, two things - first, that's twice I've seen you refer to the new sweaters as "pimp." Now I am not an old man by any stretch, but I've gotta whistle you for a 2-minute penalty on that reference. That's 2 minutes for abuse of an overused MTV Cribs colloquialism.

Second, to debate your point a little - there are around 30,000 people who hate the slug (check the petition) and if you read some of the poster's thoughts on this board, you'd see that a lot of us like the design of the new sweaters, the colors, etc. - just not the snot stain in the middle of the chest. I'll bet that when the white threads come out, the slug stain will be more pronounced and won't look as tolerable.

I have no clue as to how people cannot grasp this concept.

There are so many outlets where all you will see is the snot smear that the fact that the blue uni probably looks good except for the snot smear will not factor into the equation. The snot smear is more or less one of the lousiest logos I have ever seen in professional sports. The Californial Golden Seals script logo was better than the snot smear. The Bungles orange helmets with tiger stripes and orange shirts are better than the snot smear. I honestly can't think of anything off the top of my head that was/is worse.

Look, I dont think the logo is great - but to call it the worst logo in professional sports? I would have thought Dave_b would be above such ridiculous sensationalist nonsense. :)

http://www.sportslogos.net/league.php?l=1

I think if most people look at that with an open mind they would rate our logo about middle of the pack. I guess we will see who is closer to reality soon.

Look, I dont think the logo is great - but to call it the worst logo in professional sports? I would have thought Dave_b would be above such ridiculous sensationalist nonsense. :)

http://www.sportslogos.net/league.php?l=1

I think if most people look at that with an open mind they would rate our logo about middle of the pack. I guess we will see who is closer to reality soon.

I'd honestly put it in the bottom 3rd in logos, with the Thrashers, Wild, Blue Jackets, and maybe the Canucks. Hmmmm, what a surprise, our logo looks as bad as a bunch of expansion teams... :unsure:

Archived