Loss to Carolina Hurts Even Worse

bills_fan_in_raleigh

So yesterday a guy at work says hey have you seen my new pictures. Stop in his office and there are pics of him holding up the cup etc. Seems the cup appeared at a party that he was at and he got to hoist the cup. Stil makes me sick to know the canes won it and also the thought of the banner hoisting in front of our guys on opening night

Yes, even if it was you I'd still be disgusted (I hate that guy! :D ). Only the players and some of the people in the organization should get to hold the cup.

Although I agree with your sentiment, the reality is, EVERYBODY who makes it to a "Cup Party" pretty much carries the SC and drinks from it.

I really don't want to think about what else has been done in it and to it. ;)

Although I agree with your sentiment, the reality is, EVERYBODY who makes it to a "Cup Party" pretty much carries the SC and drinks from it.

Yeah, I know, but I like to pretend that's not the case.

apuszczalowski, going to 4-5 games a year, no, I'm not that person.

I have had to endure that pain as well. A few of my neighbors have had their pictures taken with the Cup when Glen Wesley brought it to their church. Of course the ECF came up and I had to take some flak from these bandwagon jumpers. It was at that point that I decided I will not discuss hockey with any "Caniacs" unless they can at least tell me who the 9th defenseman was on the Canes depth chart last year. The most common response when that question is asked: "We don't have nine defenseman"

Well, I didn't get to hoist the Stanley Cup, but I did get to put my arm around it and have a photo taken. (It was in Buffalo for a day last season and I happened to be close-by on of its stops). However, I do think to actually hoist it you need to have earned that right. Players and team staff only.

I have one happy thought - at least I got to touch the Cup last year before Brind'amour did!

-Ed :D

After the 99 Cup my brother had the opportunity to go to a Cup party in Ithaca when Joe Niewendyk had it on tour. He wore a t-shirt that said "Buffalo screwed by the NHL again. No Goal! Thanks, Gary". He has a picture of him hoisting the Cup while wearing that t-shirt with Niewendyk. Niewendyk even signed it, but he also put some crap about the goal being legit.

As you can see, I just changed my avatar. Yes, that is my chubby arm hanging on to the (ta-da!) Stanley Cup! After seeing it on TV for years, it was kind of weird to actually touch it. It felt....cool (both literally and figuratively).

-Ed ;) (Oh, you'll note that I'm wearing the old school home jersey)

apuszczalowski, going to 4-5 games a year, no, I'm not that person.

It doesn't matter how many games you go to a year, Do you cheer for the sabres everychance you get, Do you have Sabres Merchandice at home, do you support the team anyway you can?

I can see where you are coming from though that it should be something that is a players only thing (and coaches) but when you say front office staff, where does that stop? The Owner should be able to, the GM, maybe the president, but who else? its starts to go down a huge list of people that may or may not deserve the honor.

So yesterday a guy at work says hey have you seen my new pictures. Stop in his office and there are pics of him holding up the cup etc. Seems the cup appeared at a party that he was at and he got to hoist the cup. Stil makes me sick to know the canes won it and also the thought of the banner hoisting in front of our guys on opening night

I would replace the picture of him hoisting the cup with a picture of me kicking him in the junk wearing a Sabres jersey, makes a much better photo

It doesn't matter how many games you go to a year, Do you cheer for the sabres everychance you get, Do you have Sabres Merchandice at home, do you support the team anyway you can?

I can see where you are coming from though that it should be something that is a players only thing (and coaches) but when you say front office staff, where does that stop? The Owner should be able to, the GM, maybe the president, but who else? its starts to go down a huge list of people that may or may not deserve the honor.

I don't see any real reason to break it down to who does or doesn't get to hold the cup. The ideal situation would be team/staff, but obviously we're far from that ideal situation, so I don't see much point of breaking it down.

I would replace the picture of him hoisting the cup with a picture of me kicking him in the junk wearing a Sabres jersey, makes a much better photo

That's priceless! :lol:

What's even worse is that the Sabres open up their season at Carolina on a national OLN broadcast IN THEIR SLUG UNI's! It really couldn't get any worse. We'll be the laughing stock of the league.

It's going to be really annoying when all the fans from the other teams come on here and make fun of it. When the Sabres win, they'll come on here and tear up the logo. It's going to be along season, win or lose.

What's even worse is that the Sabres open up their season at Carolina on a national OLN broadcast IN THEIR SLUG UNI's! It really couldn't get any worse. We'll be the laughing stock of the league.

It's going to be really annoying when all the fans from the other teams come on here and make fun of it. When the Sabres win, they'll come on here and tear up the logo. It's going to be along season, win or lose.

I think what Larry Quinn meant by the jersey having something on the front that no other team has is a laser beam coming out of the red eye of the Sluggalo and blinding the opposing team's players.

Correct.

My brother runs a popular tavern in Ithaca, NY. When Nieuwendyk was on that Devils team from 2003 (I think that was the one), he elected to take his turn with the Cup by visiting Cornell during alumni weekend (there was some worthy fundraising tie-in). My brother did personally attest that when Nieuwendyk came into the tavern for a nightcap, there was general hoisting of the Cup and communal use of the Cup as a "pub vessel" (i.e., drinking of draft beer therefrom).

Correct.

My brother runs a popular tavern in Ithaca, NY. When Nieuwendyk was on that Devils team from 2003 (I think that was the one), he elected to take his turn with the Cup by visiting Cornell during alumni weekend (there was some worthy fundraising tie-in). My brother did personally attest that when Nieuwendyk came into the tavern for a nightcap, there was general hoisting of the Cup and communal use of the Cup as a "pub vessel" (i.e., drinking of draft beer therefrom).

I don't know if he did it with the Devils, but if you read my post above Nieuwendyk definitely brought it to Ithaca in 99.

Archived