Which big chain has the worst knockoff wings?

Barnabov

I enjoyed reading the topic last week and finding out lots of places to try for wings on our next visit to Buffalo.

Only problem was that it made me crave some and I was stuck trying to find some decent wings while in the middle of moving out of Dallas - Interstate 35 is definitely not the place to go for decent wings.

Anyway, made me want to get everyones dos centavos on who you all think has the worst piece of garbage that they sell as "Buffalo wings".

I made the mistake of trying Kentucky Fried Chicken's version (desperation took hold) and they were complete shite.

Think I've had some other real losers in the past (the ones Hooter's gives away at Trade Shows are too awful even to be given away for free) - only place I've tried down here that does an ok wing is Domino's but they pale compared to the good WNY version.

So who else sucks? Can't someone get a trademark on the name Buffalo wing (Anchor Bar?) and halt this false advertising - if the froggies can change all the Champagne in the world to "sparkling wine" someone should be able to do it for wings.

Just to make this post hockey-related...I wonder if this is the last day Dumont wakes up a Sabre?

Anyone that labels their wings as "Buffalo Wings" has no effing clue. Theyre "wings" or "chicken wings". I run for the hills when I hear or read "Buffalo Wings"

Any hole in the wall bar should have the means to make a good wing. I guess the getting the product would be the hardest part. Also, geographical differences in tastes come into play as well. Most of my friends who are not from Buffalo want ranch dressing with their wings. I don't understand that either.

I guess you should just buy a little fryer and make them yourself. All you need is some hot sauce and chicken wings. If you want them milder, add some butter and ketchup. I used to make wings for 5 yrs at a Lackawanna pizzeria.. I know whats up. ;)

hooters' wings are beyond awful. i seriously don't think you can even consider places like papa johns, dominos, etc. they just seem so fake. personally i'm not a big fan of buffalo wild wings either.

the best i've had outside of buffalo were from a small bar/restaurant called buffalo's in greensboro, nc and from a place called cheeseburger in paradise in blowing rock, nc.

down here in florida there's some place called "wing street" that's paired up with pizza hut. anyone ever hear of them? maybe its worth a try...

Wing street is just more of the same crappy Pizza Hut wings, just with different flavors & sauces.

If you have a Miller's Ale House around (you should) get the wings from there - just make sure you ask for no breading and get extra sauce on the side. The Miller's/Orlando Ale House was about the only place the wife & I could get good wings in Florida on a regular basis.

We went to a place called Buffalo Brothers Pizza & Wing Co before Game 5 of the ECF - their food wasn't too bad. Not as good as home, but...

Wing street is just more of the same crappy Pizza Hut wings, just with different flavors & sauces.

If you have a Miller's Ale House around (you should) get the wings from there - just make sure you ask for no breading and get extra sauce on the side. The Miller's/Orlando Ale House was about the only place the wife & I could get good wings in Florida on a regular basis.

thanks for the suggestions. my roommate swears by a place called kerr's winghouse, but he's not from buffalo, so i take his opinion with a grain of salt.

i'll will now begin my search for miller's ale house.

I've never had Ker's, but I've heard the restaurant is a knockoff of Hooters, with slightly better food. Take that for what its worth.

IIRC, there is an Ale House down near the Lightning Arena. I had a job interview with the Lightning before the lockout and me & the wife went to the Ale House afterwards. At least I think it was an ale house...here is the list of Florida locations

Can't someone get a trademark on the name Buffalo wing (Anchor Bar?) and halt this false advertising - if the froggies can change all the Champagne in the world to "sparkling wine" someone should be able to do it for wings.

My friend Paul had an idea - you set up with an organization called something like "Buffalo Chicken Wing Council" made up of chefs/owners of local Buffalo wing joints. They come up with a "standard" for what can be called a "Buffalo Wing". You get restaurants around the country (or world) to submit a sample of their wings to the council. Those that meet the standars can display an "Official Buffalo Wing" logo on their menu/in their restaurant. Charge them $100/year for the privilege and...poof! Real Buffalo wings are only a matter of looking for the logo.

Of course, being Buffalo, there would be a three-year delay in implementing this due to arguments over who is qualified to judge the wings, where the council should meet, how big (or small) the wings should be, which hot sauce to use, etc., etc..........

-Ed :rolleyes:

Anyone that labels their wings as "Buffalo Wings" has no effing clue. Theyre "wings" or "chicken wings". I run for the hills when I hear or read "Buffalo Wings"

That's my most basic rule when it comes to wings. I also make sure to yell at anyone who ever uses that term.

I remember my buddy getting medium wings at Hooters about 10 or 12 years ago, and I swear the sauce was pure butter with a minimal squirt of some Frank's RedHot knock-off. I mean it tasted like ruberry wings swimming in butter. So, no doubt they get some kind of honorable mention.

any place that serves them with ranch dressing and looks like the wings are being served in soup. Pees me off to get wings and have to use a roll of paper towels just to get them dry enough to eat. I have had hooters and mostly not good but one in Dallas area wasnt bad. Also Buffalo Wild Wings are decent but a little to wet for me. In raleigh Buffalo Brothers has decent ones and actually Chilis arent bad if the damn cook puts them in the fryer long enough. I always liked the wings in fredonia at a bar called BJ's

There's a chain down here in Atlanta who markets themselves as having great wings .Taco Mac, Founded by a couple of guys from Buffalo. The original restaraunts did indeed have good wings, but since they've franchised out, the quality of their wings has gone downhill.

However, I go for the draft beer selection. Easily 100 on tap. :D

I enjoyed reading the topic last week and finding out lots of places to try for wings on our next visit to Buffalo.

Only problem was that it made me crave some and I was stuck trying to find some decent wings while in the middle of moving out of Dallas - Interstate 35 is definitely not the place to go for decent wings.

If you live in the DFW market, you should try "wingstop". They're better than most of the pretenders. Unfortunately, every wing you buy gives Troy Aikman money in his pocket since he's an investor.

Worst I've ever had from a chain is Buffalo Wild Wings. Small, soggy, sauceless. Good Lord, they were horrible--worse than high-school cafeteria wings circa 1987.

They did show the Sabs-Ottawa game 1 in rural Arizona for me, though.

Similar to a Man Card violation, anyone who orders "Buffalo Wings" (apologies to fushetti & shrader) from IHOP, Denny's, or any place like that, should surrender their "chicken wing card" immediately upon their return to WNY. You'll get it back when you treat the wings with the respect they deserve... ;)

Worst I've ever had from a chain is Buffalo Wild Wings. Small, soggy, sauceless. Good Lord, they were horrible--worse than high-school cafeteria wings circa 1987.

They did show the Sabs-Ottawa game 1 in rural Arizona for me, though.

Not to mention that they are not very hot!! I forget how they name them, but the "hottest" wings weren't very hot.

Not to mention that they are not very hot!! I forget how they name them, but the "hottest" wings weren't very hot.

That's how I ordered them--hottest they had.

Gimme Gabriel's Gate in the city or Duff's in the burbs. THOSE are wings.

Similar to a Man Card violation, anyone who orders "Buffalo Wings" (apologies to fushetti & shrader) from IHOP, Denny's, or any place like that, should surrender their "chicken wing card" immediately upon their return to WNY. You'll get it back when you treat the wings with the respect they deserve... ;)

I hope you don't mind, but I found this so eloquent I had to drop it in my sig.

Archived