Is there a bigger loser in the world?

SDS

You know, the sandbagger that goes down 4 leagues to beat up on people with 10% of their talent:

http://www.thegardensicehouse.com/AHL/stat...ns_Stoppers.asp

This prick, Rob Patton, who could easily be playing in our "A" Division:

A-Division: Most competitive level of play. Represents fastest, best individual and team skills. Talent is consistent among all players. Teams are characterized by talented, heads-up play. Slap shots allowed, no checking.

decides that he wants to have fun playing against the "C" Division:

C-Division: For the beginner or the player who is talented but who may have lost more than a few strides. Teams typically have talent that spans the entire range from experienced to the rank beginner. Slap shots allowed, no checking.

This guy could skate circles around every single person on the ice and had a slap shot that he could snap off in any position, at any time like a rocket 8" off the ice. Yet, he spends his Sunday afternoons playing against people like me, who go to Adult Hockey Clinics on Saturday mornings.

Is there a bigger loser on earth than a guy who pays money and plays his ass off against talent so inferior, that there isn't a single person who could justify why he is even on the ice?

We used to see that a lot in roller & floor hockey leagues. Some douches decides he wants to lead the division in scoring, so he drops down to the B or C division, and starts lighting it up. Wowee, you're good - scoring against a bunch of guys who literally shouldn't be on the court with you... <_<

I played in a hockey class back in my college days (yeah, only 3 years ago). It was called a class, but it was just a 1 hour scrimmage 2 days a week, no teaching at all. There was a wide talent gap from top to bottom. There was one kid who was always the last cut from the hockey team (Boston University) who has so much better than everyone else. Instead of being like your jackass, this kid was always passing to everyone. Sure, he'd show off from time to time, but he always made each hour that much more fun.

I played in a hockey class back in my college days (yeah, only 3 years ago). It was called a class, but it was just a 1 hour scrimmage 2 days a week, no teaching at all. There was a wide talent gap from top to bottom. There was one kid who was always the last cut from the hockey team (Boston University) who has so much better than everyone else. Instead of being like your jackass, this kid was always passing to everyone. Sure, he'd show off from time to time, but he always made each hour that much more fun.

That's exactly it... If he is helping out a friend who needs some warm bodies in a summer league - then fine, go play a nice positional game. Man your point, feed the puck down low, take the occasional shot from the blue line... no problem.

This guy actually took a wicked slap shot in a 6-2 game with 2 seconds left from BEHIND the blue line in order to score one more... ON A FEMALE GOALIE! Are you friggin' serious? How light in the shorts do you have to be in order to find your manhood like this?

Nothing a good cross-check to the throat wouldn't cure.

:lol:

I legged whipped him instead. :ph34r:

I fell down... again... in the corner when I got tangled up in his skates, when suddenly my years of wrestling came flashing across my mind, so I put him on his ass with quick scissoring of the legs.

Scott,

I play goal in Hockey Academy adult league/open division in MA/NH. I have a numbnut like Rob Patton on our squad. We were winning a game 11-2 and he pulled me for a extra attacker so he could pad his stats! When the game was over, one of the players from the other team decked him for being such a tool. No one from our team came to his aid because he deserved it.

PTR in net

PTR

Scott,

I play goal in Hockey Academy adult league/open division in MA/NH. I have a numbnut like Rob Patton on our squad. We were winning a game 11-2 and he pulled me for a extra attacker so he could pad his stats! When the game was over, one of the players from the other team decked him for being such a tool. No one from our team came to his aid because he deserved it.

PTR in net

PTR

Wow. What a well-deserved asskicking. PTR, you should have gotten a couple shots in as well... ;)

Scott,

PTR in net

PTR

You should've stayed in net, and take the bench minor.

Also- fockin' sweet Aeros jersey. I have a regular green and blue bomber away.

There are guys like that in almost every league. At our local rink we run A & B leagues. Definitely guys in the B league who should be in A. Most common excuse I here is that the the A league is too competitive and they just want to have fun and get some excercise. Who knew excercise consists of ringing up 5 goals a game on guys trying to learn to play. Conversely, we have guys in A, who should be playing in B, but refuse to accept that they would be better off developing their skills in B. Makes it tough on the A players who want to be competetive, when you have to set lineups to "hide" a few players. Our league does a re-draft every two seasons to try and keep the teams on an even keel, so no one team is stacked to the gills.

SDS, just ignore the guy. He's a douche and deep down he knows it.

Wahhh, Rob Patton scores on us and is better than us. wahhh.

just kidding

Two observations. Rob Patton ISN'T leading the league in scoring. Has he played less games?

PTR's jersey in his goalie photo. NOW THATS A LOGO. Maybe the Sabres should call that design team.

Two observations. Rob Patton ISN'T leading the league in scoring. Has he played less games?

His team is that much worse - he is literally a one man show, where the other top guys all play on the same team. Notice his lack of assists...

With that said, the others should be given the boot too. ;)

I played on a C-league team several years ago; every so often, Geordie Robertson would come and take a spin with us. He was a great guy and would spend all his time passing, like Shrader says, although one time (I heard about this but didn't see it), he was awarded a penalty shot. He skated up to the goalie and told him exactly where he was going to go. Then he did it...and scored anyway. :D

When I was in college I took a basketball class two days a week as a freshman. Our teacher was Jan van Breda Kolff...former NJ Net and onetime SEC Player of the Year at Vandy... who at the time was an assistant on the varsity. When we had nine players he'd be the tenth. He'd play the point and never shoot. The passes were always perfect. I recall one time he found me on the wing with a perfect 12-foot bounce pass that went away from us, around a guy who was directly between us, and spun back into my hands in perfect shooting position.

When you play with guys like that you never mind it. They show you what it's like at the highest level and they don't embarrass you while doing it.

Of course, I've played with like Rob Patton too. Those guys deserve any beatdowns they get.

I played on a C-league team several years ago; every so often, Geordie Robertson would come and take a spin with us. He was a great guy and would spend all his time passing, like Shrader says, although one time (I heard about this but didn't see it), he was awarded a penalty shot. He skated up to the goalie and told him exactly where he was going to go. Then he did it...and scored anyway. :D

When I was in college I took a basketball class two days a week as a freshman. Our teacher was Jan van Breda Kolff...former NJ Net and onetime SEC Player of the Year at Vandy... who at the time was an assistant on the varsity. When we had nine players he'd be the tenth. He'd play the point and never shoot. The passes were always perfect. I recall one time he found me on the wing with a perfect 12-foot bounce pass that went away from us, around a guy who was directly between us, and spun back into my hands in perfect shooting position.

And then there was his son. Yick.

i just moved here to tampa and started playing on a "b" level team (i haven't played in almost 4 years and am considered a decent "b" player or good "c" player) but i know this guy who plays in the "d" league for people who are just starting, and he has a guy on his team who also plays on the team we just beat last week. so he's skating with the beginners on saturdays and with the "intermediate" level players on mondays. pretty much everyone on my team played competitively in high school or club for their college. i really can't stand douchebags like that.

PTR's jersey in his goalie photo. NOW THATS A LOGO. Maybe the Sabres should call that design team.

Pretty f***in' hideous, no? I had to own one. FYI, it's supposed to be a warm-up jersey from the 2001 IHL Houston Aeros. If you could read the back, it says "RELIANT ENERGY" Kind of looks like a TV that lost it's horizontal hold.

I happen to collect oddball minor league jerseys. I have one from the Greenville Grrrowl from the ECHL. Their logo is a kind of shaggy dog. Anyway, the logo on that design runs from sleeve tip to sleeve tip. ENOURMOUS! I'd attatch a pic but I can't find that design online.

PTR

I played on in a men's league at Niagara U in the mid-90's. In the summer league one year, Kenny Corp played on our team. I never received so many pretty passes. What a great little guy. The best player I've ever been on the ice with. He's the guy that Corp000085 named himself after.

I also played against Rob Ray and Richie Dunn a few times. They're also great to play with/against. Not like SDS' guy.

And then there was his son. Yick.

No, that was him. Jan WAS the son, of former Princeton and Laker head coach Butch van Breda Kolff. At that time Jan was an assistant to Pete Carril at Princeton. Bill Carmody (now head coach at Northwestern) was the top assistant and the team captain was John Thompson III (now head coach at Georgetown).

Jan was a great guy when I knew him. We were crappy ballplayers -- probably only half of us had played varsity in HS and I wasn't one of them -- but he took the class seriously and made us all better.

I remember one particular class when Kit Mueller -- my classmate and a freshman -- showed up. He took the ball, drove to the hoop, and slammed home a reverse dunk. Jan said, "That's nice. But can you do THIS?" and took the ball out beyond the corner, a good 30 feet away. Swish. Kit tried. Clang. Ball went back to Jan, same spot. Swish. Back to Kit. Clang. Back to Jan. Swish. And so on for about six or seven shots. I guess it was notable because this was a guy, 6'8", who'd played power forward in the pros, and he was nailing thirty-footers like they were nothing, several years past his retirement. The message was subtle, but it was there nonetheless: you've got to hit from outside to play on this team, whatever your position. Well, Kit went on to be a two-time Ivy Player of the Year and in his final regular season game shot 100% from the field -- 8 for 8 from everywhere, and no dunks -- as the Tigers demolished Loyola Marymount on national television.

Eh, no point in mentioning all that. It's just a story. But like I said, Jan was a good guy, a good coach, and he's forgotten more basketball than all of us put together will ever learn. I was sad to see what happened at Bona, but fact is Jan had recruited at Princeton, Cornell, Vanderbilt, and Pepperdine for the better part of two decades without running into problems like that. His downfall at Bona -- and I freely admit he should have kept a tighter rein -- was that his assistant (and top recruiter) was the president's son. Way too much potential for problems there.

I used to play on a roller hockey league a few years back. A bunch of us older guys from the neighborhood just got together and joined up. We sucked, we knew we sucked but we didn't really care, we just did it for fun. We played against some teams that were very good and we didn't really care that we were getting killed on the scoreboard. Until the other team started hot dogging. Then we turned into the Charlestown Chiefs.

One team actually pulled their goaltender in the final minutes of a game so that they could ring up a few more goals. We were extremely PO'd, called a timeout and decided our best option was to put four guys standing side by side in the crease along with the goalkeeper. Our fifth guy we had hang around center ice and see if he could pick up a loose puck from a rebound or errant pass. The other team went crazy mad when we came back out on the rink.

Sarama...3 goals no assists...pass the puck you hog

I've set my guys up beautifully... they just haven't finished. ;)

One of my goals was a hard earned breakaway, so no puck-hogging there... :)

Yeah - what a class guy van Breda Kolff is... <_<

LET's GO BONAS!

Archived