2006-2007 Sabre Lineup

inkman

I am kinda bored with the other retread threads and I wanted to get something a little different started. So, in lieu of recent roster moves and anticipating a few if I may, here is what i see as our forward/d-man lines shaping up as:

Hecht-Briere-Pominville

Roy-Drury-Kotalik

Afinogeov-Connolly-Vanek

Mair-Gaustad-Paille

extra: Peters

Lydman-Tallinder

Spacek-Kalinin

Campbell-Numminen

extra: Paetsch

I am assuming JP is on the outs, if Max is gone as well then sub Stafford in his spot. If Connolly doesn't return to full health then Novotny would sub there. I really like this lineup and their are still plenty of prospects awaiting in Rochester.

I am assuming JP is on the outs, if Max is gone as well then sub Stafford in his spot.

i'm not so sure we'd see stafford in a regular role even if there was a spot open. i think they really want him to get used to things in rochester. if the injury bug hits i have no doubt we'll see him for a few games, but i think novotny has the best chance of becoming a regular (assuming paille makes the team out of camp which i think he will). second to novotny i'd have to say thorburn. he could do some damage on the 4th line with mair and goose, plus you'd get to move paille up (i think he'd play great with roy and drury) and give him more ice time/scoring chances. i'm really looking forward to seeing this kid get some serious ice time this season.

Yeah, Thorburn kinda slipped my mind. If they need a banger, he'll be but the resigning of Peters makes me wonder what his role will be. Did Novotny play any wing last season? It seemed like he was used exclusively at center. Not sure if that was circumstance or by design.

I'd put Novotny over Paille at this point...I think he's shown more in fill-in duty than Paille has. Other than that the roster looks good...so much for "the sky is falling." Tommy G and Darcy deserve a hell of a lot of credit for stopping the bleeding so to speak. I see no reason why this team will not be a top-5 in the league.

How about :

Vanek - Briere - Kotalik

Hecht - Drury - Roy

I like the idea of having one shut down line. Hecht and Drury are our best defensive forwards and Roy goes 100 mph every shift. ;)

I don't think you'll ever see Vanek-Briere-Kotalik. Not one of 'em plays sound enough defense to be paired with the other two. Lindy doesn't play that way.

What about putting Vanek with Drury for a couple of weeks to try to improve Vanek's work ethic?

They tried this for at least a couple of weeks last year with mixed results. If the coaches motivational efforts are not enough to get him to play harder at both ends of the rink, I'm not sure what good putting him with Drury is going to do.

the lines are very elusive but the defensive pairings are almost a given

Tallinder/Lydman-(great pairing as seen in the playoffs)

Numminen/Kalinin-(if kalinin continues where he left off,they'll be fine)

Spacek/Cambell-(i expect tons of offensive production from these 2)

as far as the lines go(if we keep dumont)

hecht/briere/dumont-(our best line)

vanek/roy/afinogenov-(played well together for a while and sparks can possibly reignite)

pominville/connolly/kotalik-(sounds like a good combo,might get kotalik back into a groove)

mair/drury/gaustad-(physical/shut down)

How bout...

Afinogenov - Connolly - Roy.

With Max, Vanek and Roy together for a while they were on FIRE. Imagine Connolly leading the way instead of Vanek? Much more experience and exciting player.

Also I'd like to see Paille & Paetsch join the team.

I think Roy is going to continue to play on Drury's line. Max needs to be on Connolly's line. Connolly brings out the best in him.

the lines are very elusive but the defensive pairings are almost a given

Tallinder/Lydman-(great pairing as seen in the playoffs)

Numminen/Kalinin-(if kalinin continues where he left off,they'll be fine)

Spacek/Cambell-(i expect tons of offensive production from these 2)

as far as the lines go(if we keep dumont)

hecht/briere/dumont-(our best line)

vanek/roy/afinogenov-(played well together for a while and sparks can possibly reignite)

pominville/connolly/kotalik-(sounds like a good combo,might get kotalik back into a groove)

mair/drury/gaustad-(physical/shut down)

Nope. Spacek is top 4.

As much as I like Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov line...they can't play together regularly. They are fun to watch, but they are a liability in their own end.

That line can be used when we're playing very definsively minded teams. They can provide an extra spark in games where the team is struggling to get some offense going.

Archived