Re-Signing Alert: Toni Lydman

Screamin'Weasel

SportsNet Link

Great News!

"Sportsnet.ca -- Toni Lydman has agreed to a long-term deal with the Buffalo Sabres on the verge of his arbitration hearing, Sportsnet has learned.

Lydman has agreed to a four-year deal worth $11.5 million.

Despite leading all Sabres players in minutes played last season, Lydman recorded just one goal and 16 assists in 75 games played."

Great news! Darcy is quietly whittling down the list of RFAs...

Since we got Pominville and Lydman today, who's left? I know Max & Mair, but who else is unsigned?

EDIT: Looks like Dumont, Connolly, Gaustad, Max, Mair & Miller....am I missing someone?

Dumont, Connolly, Gaustad, Max, Mair

I don't want Gaustad back.. Connolly is nice, but a luxury, Max, the same, so is Mair.

Missing Dumont will be the most damage, I hope we get him, but he'll be expensive.

Why don't you want Gaustad back?

:(

nobody enjoys watching gritty miskake free hockey,

or appreciates a rookie that skates 80 games and is a

plus 4 and is the best rookie face-off man that the club has

seen in years.

52% FO

433 FOW in 2006

Bingo!!!

Gaustad is a guy I definately want to see back in Buffalo....he plays hard, makes things happen, and FO are so important

Not want Gaustad back? What are you nuts... Thats the one of two guys out of the six remaining I do want back.. Connolly the other..Paul is a gritty player that this team will need this year. He's not afraid to mix it up and likes to grind it out in the corners. He's the perfect replacement for Grier..

Not want Gaustad back? What are you nuts... Thats the one of two guys out of the six remaining I do want back.. Connolly the other..Paul is a gritty player that this team will need this year. He's not afraid to mix it up and likes to grind it out in the corners. He's the perfect replacement for Grier..

Just checked his playoff stats, he was clearly the team's #2 faceoff man in the playoffs behind Drury and ahead of Briere.

104/206 50.9% Against some great face-off teams.

Great news! Darcy is quietly whittling down the list of RFAs...

Since we got Pominville and Lydman today, who's left? I know Max & Mair, but who else is unsigned?

EDIT: Looks like Dumont, Connolly, Gaustad, Max, Mair & Miller....am I missing someone?

Kalinin.

I like locking up Lydman and am fine with doing so with Pominville as well. However, I'm concerned that we are getting closer and closer to our internal payroll limit for next year without having signed Briere, Connolly, Max, Gaustad and Miller (and JP, Kalinin, Mair, Novotny and Thorburn).

In an earlier thread someone totalled up commitments for next year at $26.9 million. If we subtract Marty's $2.2 million and add back $800K for a replacement, we are at $25.5 million.

Just today we agreed to give Pominville about $1 million for next year and I'm guessing about $2 million for Lydman. That's $28.5 million.

I think we are going to swallow hard and keep Danny at $5 million. I also think we're going to keep Connolly, who is going to get about $2.5 million next year either through arbitration or (hopefully) a long-term deal. That puts us at $36 million.

Another $2.5 million between Goose and Kalinin and we are at $38.5 million. I think we probably play hardball with Miller, just because he has no leverage, and pay him $1.5 million at the most next year -- so now we're at $40 million.

This means we are well over what I think our revised target of $38 million already, with ZERO left for Max, JP, Mair, Novotny and Thorburn.

This in turn means to me that Max and JP are definitely gone. We'll probably try to keep Mair, Novotny and Thorburn for $2 million between the 3 of them -- which takes us to $42 million.

And that, I hate to say, brings us back to Danny and Timmy. If we pass on Danny, we're down to $37 million and our budget problems are solved (even though our payroll would be a solid 25% higher than last year). But that means we'll have essentially dumped Briere, Max and JP, and gotten zero in return in terms of next-season contributors, from last year's team in order to meet the budget.

James Mirtle raised an interesting point in his hockey blog (here: http://mirtle.blogspot.com/) -- ie Spacek and the other signings we've made on D are nice, but is it worth doing so if it means we can't keep Danny? ie we have a very strong top 6 on D, but maybe we've gone overboard on defense spending. would you rather have Spacek plus one of our other $1 million guys -- or Briere?

I think maybe I'd rather have had a hole on D than lose Briere, esp. since I'm just assuming we're going to lose Max and JP.

Just my opinion.

You have to remember that some of this committed salary is for guys who will be playing in Rochester. You can probably add Novotny and Thorburn to that list. They'll all be on two way contracts, making significantly less money while in Rochester. This will add a good amount of breathing room.

Just my opinion.

And an interesting one. I for one think that wrapping up the blueline

is much more important than keeping Danny Briere.

The offensive rush was always started in the d-zone.

Defense has the potential to be consistent every night,

while even the best players don't score all the time.

I love how this defense is going to look -

fast - puck moving - balanced - great skating.

I am really excited about it.

And an interesting one. I for one think that wrapping up the blueline

is much more important than keeping Danny Briere.

The offensive rush was always started in the d-zone.

Defense has the potential to be consistent every night,

while even the best players don't score all the time.

I love how this defense is going to look -

fast - puck moving - balanced - great skating.

I am really excited about it.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the team that Teppo is ending his career with is using a Defenseman first personnel strategy which is very similar to the team that he started his career with?

Winnipeg actually toyed with the idea of playing 3 d and 2 forwards after they got Housley.

Personally, I like the idea of having a very strong D. Interesting thing though, very few of us thought that essentially this same D crew was STRONG before the playoffs started. What a difference a playoff run and a year of maturity makes.

Personally, I like the idea of having a very strong D. Interesting thing though, very few of us thought that essentially this same D crew was STRONG before the playoffs started. What a difference a playoff run and a year of maturity makes.

It is the one thing that doesn't really translate well to television:

When the camera follows the puck, you rarely get a sense of the recovery

speed of the Buffalo D unless you see the whole ice when you are there in person.

In the few games that I saw in person - you could see why Loods was

one of the better compensated Sabres.

I am extremely pleased with the blueline signings to date...

Lydman 4 years

Tallinder 4 years

Spacek 3 years

Campbell 2 years

Teppo 1 year and then probably retire

Kalinin (Accepted his QO??)

Top 3 dmen locked up for the next 3 years. Campbell will hopefully build on his playoff run and move up to a top 4 dman position in 07-08. One more solid year from Teppo and then Funk, Card, Paetsch or Sekera can step into his spot and the other will fill the role of the #7 dman.

Give credit where credit is due...Nice job Darcy!

It is the one thing that doesn't really translate well to television:

When the camera follows the puck, you rarely get a sense of the recovery

speed of the Buffalo D unless you see the whole ice when you are there in person.

In the few games that I saw in person - you could see why Loods was

one of the better compensated Sabres.

Lydman, was above average most of the games he played in, but when he had a stinker I'd almost rather have had ol' 42 out there. It was that bad when it was bad. Fortunately though, he never seemed to have a bad game against a good team.

I am extremely pleased with the blueline signings to date...

Lydman 4 years

Tallinder 4 years

Spacek 3 years

Campbell 2 years

Teppo 1 year and then probably retire

Kalinin (Accepted his QO??)

Top 3 dmen locked up for the next 3 years. Campbell will hopefully build on his playoff run and move up to a top 4 dman position in 07-08. One more solid year from Teppo and then Funk, Card, Paetsch or Sekera can step into his spot and the other will fill the role of the #7 dman.

Give credit where credit is due...Nice job Darcy!

AFAIK, he did not request an extention of time to sign the qualifying offer, so that is off the table. He and Ryan (and the AHL guys that haven't signed yet) are starting from scratch on whatever contract they work out.

Lydman, was above average most of the games he played in, but when he had a stinker I'd almost rather have had ol' 42 out there. It was that bad when it was bad. Fortunately though, he never seemed to have a bad game against a good team.

AFAIK, he did not request an extention of time to sign the qualifying offer, so that is off the table. He and Ryan (and the AHL guys that haven't signed yet) are starting from scratch on whatever contract they work out.

I think Lydman really stepped it up in the playoffs. Earlier in the year I didn't really trust him, but he really impressed me as the season went on, and into the playoffs. Plus, he's got great chemistry with Tallinder. Just looking at this alone tells me we have a very underrated top pair of defenseman. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/bycatego...son_2005&sort=3

I am very happy with this move. :D

Archived