Would you make this deal?

Rayzor32

Evidently I need medication, because for the second time this month I'm referencing Ed Kilgore in a post, but despite the "simple plan" I proposed yesterday to keep Danny in the fold, something Ed told his viewers last night made me think -- as Kilgore reminded us, we did just fine when Danny was out last season -- he missed 40% of the season, and we didn't skip a beat without him in the lineup. A major reason was that Connolly & Roy picked up the slack. Depending upon Timmy's health, maybe we roll the dice and deal Briere, who has much higher trade value, and insert Connolly as our #2 center.

Montreal is said to be very interested in bringing their native son back to Quebec, and one of their top blueliners is said to be on the block. Given the opportunity, would you do this deal:

Briere to Montreal for

Sheldon Souray and Steve Begin?

Souray and Begin make a combined $3MM, Souray is a bona fide puck moving blueliner in the Spacek mold, and Begin has killed us ever since we let him walk 3 years ago.

If we made this deal, we would have the best blueline in all of hockey -- But is it worth losing our most talented and consistent offensive player and one of the faces of the franchise?

Ed Kilgore must be board the other 23 hours a day he's not on TV because there is no way I'd make that deal. Danny is a heart and soul kind of guy who is just entering his prime.

Souray is good but we're all set on defense.

Thanks but no thanks.

Evidently I need medication, because for the second time this month I'm referencing Ed Kilgore in a post, but despite the "simple plan" I proposed yesterday to keep Danny in the fold, something Ed told his viewers last night made me think -- as Kilgore reminded us, we did just fine when Danny was out last season -- he missed 40% of the season, and we didn't skip a beat without him in the lineup. A major reason was that Connolly & Roy picked up the slack. Depending upon Timmy's health, maybe we roll the dice and deal Briere, who has much higher trade value, and insert Connolly as our #2 center.

Montreal is said to be very interested in bringing their native son back to Quebec, and one of their top blueliners is said to be on the block. Given the opportunity, would you do this deal:

Briere to Montreal for

Souray and Begin make a combined $3MM, Souray is a bona fide puck moving blueliner in the Spacek mold, and Begin has killed us ever since we let him walk 3 years ago.

If we made this deal, we would have the best blueline in all of hockey -- But is it worth losing our most talented and consistent offensive player and one of the faces of the franchise?

Well, if we do that, Who do we then ship out on Defence or what starter gets payed big money to sit in the press box?

Slight miscommunication -- Ed made his cogent case to trade Briere, and that got me thinking about potential deals -- he never mentioned Souray or Begin....

of the other 2 teams rumored to be interested, LA doesn't offer much -- maybe Aaron Miller and Eric Belanger..BUT Atlanta could be interesting...Greg deVries and Steve Rucchin fit our budget and would look good in blue and gold

That might be an overstatement in comparison to Calgary and now Anaheim. Best blueline in the East? Maybe.

Two things:

1) Sure, we'd be set in our own end, but neither of these guys can score. Despite his shot, Souray's not a spectacular passer; he might take bad penalties. Begin's a good 4th line agitator, but we have Gaustad, Mair, and at times, Peters. Do we need these guys at the expense of our point per game captain and a savings of $2M?

2) Trading Danny Briere to another Eastern, let alone Northeastern, team is retarded. We don't want to play against him more than once a season if necessary. If he absolutely has to be traded, ship him out west.

"Well, if we do that, Who do we then ship out on Defence or what starter gets payed big money to sit in the press box?"

As we learned the hard way last year, you can NEVER have enough defensemen...if Darcy had followed this rule, we would be discussing how we could defend our Stanley Cup.

Right now, we've got:

Tallinder

Spacek

Numminen

Campbell

Kalinin

Lydman

Janik's gone, Jillson sucks and Paetsch is very green - still an AHL player...we could use another, especially given Numminen's history of heart issues...

You don't think we need a little muscle on D and some depth? It's looking a little thin beyond number six, and one of our top six is ancient, with a history of recent groin, knee and heart problems. Thin on D? Here we go again.

But, no, I wouldn't make that deal.

Anyone remember Ed Kilgore when he hosted "Bowling for Dollars"? He had what was left of his own hair then. Ed's been a good sports guy in Buffalo for a long time.

"Well, if we do that, Who do we then ship out on Defence or what starter gets payed big money to sit in the press box?"

As we learned the hard way last year, you can NEVER have enough defensemen...if Darcy had followed this rule, we would be discussing how we could defend our Stanley Cup.

Right now, we've got:

Tallinder

Spacek

Numminen

Campbell

Kalinin

Lydman

Janik's gone, Jillson sucks and Paetsch is very green - still an AHL player...we could use another, especially given Numminen's history of heart issues...

The point I'm making is you are dealing for another defensive starter. Who on that list do you deal away, let go, or sit in the press box? We have a good top 6 defencemen group, the #7 spot will probably get filled by a Rochester guy instead of paying big money for someone to sit in the box. Since Buffalo just signed Spacek, Tallinder, Campbell, and Teppo to new contracts, I doubt they will be gone, so that would leave Lydman (he was a good partner with Tallinder so I would not break the 2 of them up) and Kalinan.

I'm thinking that if we make any moves it will involve us getting draft picks and/or prospects. I think that's just the way our team has to operate. We will only be successful as long as we have good young talent coming up through the pipeline. When that talent hits its prome it will have to be turned into more draft picks and prospects and the process repeats itself.

I'm thinking that if we make any moves it will involve us getting draft picks and/or prospects. I think that's just the way our team has to operate. We will only be successful as long as we have good young talent coming up through the pipeline. When that talent hits its prome it will have to be turned into more draft picks and prospects and the process repeats itself.

Thats the reason alot of us believe this team is going turn into a glorified farm team for the rest of the NHL. Everytime we get a good prospect evolve into a good player, he is off to another team that can spend money

- I thought the whole point of the lockout was for all teams to be able to compete on a relatively level playing field?

Really. Hasn't worked out thatway at all. I guess this does happen in the NFL, too. But I said before, maybe at the end of arbitration, there might be a few good players cut who don't fit under some teams cap. We are obvioulsy going to have to slash some players somewhere, so who knows, maybe we end up with a good player cheap to replace some that we lose.

Briere to Montreal for

I wouldn't make that deal!

And,as a side note, isn't Briere from Gatineau, near Ottawa?

Sort of sucks that we'll have to become the Oakland A's or Minnesota Twins of the NHL to be successful -- I thought the whole point of the lockout was for all teams to be able to compete on a relatively level playing field?

You are correct. It stinks that it isn't as level as we might like, but the playing field is in fact much more level than it was before. Had they played in '04-'05, the top spending Phlyers would have outspent the 16th spending Sabres by more than the entire salary of any single team (except for LA) that would have spent less than Buffalo($66.5MM vs. $34.3MM).

Now the Sabres will probably spend between $36-$38MM. Even if they only spend $34MM, they are $10MM below the Devils, not the entire payroll of 13 teams. Assuming the Sabres spend wisely and well these next few seasons, their average revenues will increase at a quicker pace than the rest of the league and the salary gap should narrow even further. Also, if the league can grow leaguewide revenues at a reasonable clip, the salary gap will narrow.

The playing field is RELATIVELY even. To be honest, I think the playing field in the NHL under its new CBA is a lot more level than it is for the NFL under its new one. It definitely is more level than the joke of a system baseball has. (I don't follow basketball so I have no idea if their system is more level than the NHL's or not).

Briere to Montreal for

Begin couldn't crack our roster last year, so we trade to get him back? I know we've lost Grier and with this trade we'd lose Briere but I still don't think Begin would crack our 2007 roster. Also as noted the need for another top 4 Dman isn't pressing. IF and that's a big if we were to trade Danny to Montreal they better toss back Christopher Higgins and a prospect like Andrei Kostitsyn at the very least.

Archived