Re-Signing Alert: Henrik Tallinder

syr6987

Anyway, I sure hope Tallinder pans out and doesn't regress into Smehlik Jr., because I have a bad feeling we will get whiplash from some of the people on this board changing direction and ripping Regier for getting locked into a bad deal and rewarding a guy who had one good year.

Don't worry...No matter what deal he makes, someone will find a way to criticize him. :lol:

I am really happy about this move. Tallinder really came a long way last year. IMHO he's our best blueliner, and very underrated around the league.

I'm very glad about the tallinder signing, but it's hard for me to shake the gloomy feeling I've got that we're going to lose at least 2 of Danny, Max and Connolly after next year. The scorers just make too much GD money.

the big new reason for my gloom is that I just learned today what dave points out above -- ie we can't reopen negotiations with the guys who get arbitration awards until january. by that point, they will be only 4 -5 months away from UFA status and have huge dollar signs in their eyes. I just don't see us making offers big enough for them to take themselves off the market.

hopefully I'll be proven wrong but I think the numbers aren't going to show us any mercy. At least we should reasonably expect another good season next year with guys like that playing for a UFA payday.

Can someone convince me I'm wrong about this? please?

That's so funny. NOW you feel the sense of doom. After fighting me for weeks... Having some doubts about The Plan?

So... why is it that Sabre players should agree to play here for less than they're worth? They see the multibillionaire owner sitting up there just like the rest of us. Or most of us.

Yeah, I missed that one as well. He seemed like such a peaceful Euro. Let's just hope he stays away from any more drug induced (allegedly) group sex for the remainder of his time in Buffalo.

As long as it was with some hot women I can't see a problem with it......... B-)

Yeah, I hate when that happens. You have to figure out the common denominator, the uncommon Dominator, the Emmy nominee. Stop me, I'm rapping. :)

If 1.6 million is the accurate figure, does it shoot to hell the argument many of you made during the McKee debate -- that if McKee got $3.5 or $4 million, Tallinder would demand the same. McKee got that on another team. Hmmmm... Thoughts?

Yeah, I hate when that happens. You have to figure out the common denominator, the uncommon Dominator, the Emmy nominee. Stop me, I'm rapping. :)

If 1.6 million is the accurate figure, does it shoot to hell the argument many of you made during the McKee debate -- that if McKee got $3.5 or $4 million, Tallinder would demand the same. McKee got that on another team. Hmmmm... Thoughts?

I don't see where it shoots the theory down at all. (And we still don't know what years 2 - 4 hold, BTW, so comments on this are a bit premature.) McKee did NOT get $4MM from the Sabres, so Tallinder couldn't come back to management and say "you gave Jay $4MM, I log more ice time than Jay, so I'm worth $4.5MM".

Also, I wouldn't assume that the deal is for only $8MM total until I see it published as such.

Well why wouldn't Henrik's agent use the St. Louis deal as a measuring stick? I think the easy answer is that Henrik, his agent, his grandmama and the league all know he is not worthy of McKee money. Are you saying Henrik would have turned down this deal if it had come from St. Louis?

Well why wouldn't Henrik's agent use the St. Louis deal as a measuring stick? I think the easy answer is that Henrik, his agent, his grandmama and the league all know he is not worthy of McKee money.

You just keep right on thinking that. McKee is not worth McKee money either. Tallinder stepped up as a top 2 defenseman on this team, and led the playoffs in +/- while always matched up against the other team's top line. Tallinder is more valuable to this team than McKee.

This just goes to prove my point at how underrated Tallinder is.

So the only way Tallinder could use McKees contract in negotiations is if Buffalo signed him? Why would he have not been able to walk into a meeting with Darcy and say, well Mckee played less then me and he just got a $4 million deal, I think I deserve close to that seeing as how i stepped up my game last year, became the #2 defencemen, and have more upside/potential. Plus they gave Teppo a raise to over $2+ for next year and he can hardly play a full season anymore at his age and with his heart

Well why wouldn't Henrik's agent use the St. Louis deal as a measuring stick? I think the easy answer is that Henrik, his agent, his grandmama and the league all know he is not worthy of McKee money. Are you saying Henrik would have turned down this deal if it had come from St. Louis?

Who said he didn't try to use it as a measuring stick? (I don't know if he did or didn't use it as a "measuring stick".) All I said is he couldn't use McKee's contract to DEMAND a comparable contract. Had the Sabres (rather than the Blues) given McKee "McKee money", he would have had a bit of a stronger case in requesting the Sabres give him "McKee money".

I am going to refrain from commenting further on Henrik's deal until I know what he got in years 2-4. As I posted earlier, I doubt the contract is only worth $8MM over its life. Commenting on precisely what comparables factored into Henrik's deal are very difficult when one doesn't know what the deal actually is.

So the only way Tallinder could use McKees contract in negotiations is if Buffalo signed him? Why would he have not been able to walk into a meeting with Darcy and say, well Mckee played less then me and he just got a $4 million deal, I think I deserve close to that seeing as how i stepped up my game last year, became the #2 defencemen, and have more upside/potential. Plus they gave Teppo a raise to over $2+ for next year and he can hardly play a full season anymore at his age and with his heart

Please see above response to PA's query.

According to the Niagara Gazette article BtP linked in the Briere thread, Tallinder's deal is for $10.25 over 4 years. With the 1st year being reported at $1.6 by the NHLPA, that would put the average $'s over the last 3 years at $2.88/yr.

Link

Archived