Mike Gilbert on WBEN

That Aud Smell

Anyone follow the link to Mike Gilbert's interview?

When the question came with the context of how 16,000 signatures was essentially an arena full of fans, Gilbert shot back with words to the effect that there's "supposedly 16,000 names on there"; that he couldn't say how many of the signators were repeats, etc.

Now, he bookended that slap with lip service to how the front office listens to the fans, but then went on to say that the team has a plan in place, they're sticking to it, and that we'd hear more in the late summer.

Further confirmation still that the Sabres are about to crap the bed on what should've been a no-brainer in terms of energizing the fan base and creating a merchandise-sale bonanza.

Go Rubble HairSlugs!

Yeah it really didn't sound encouraging ...

Who were those two interviewing him? It sounded like the old SNL sketch and they were afraid to wake someone up, they were practically whispering ... what time did it air, 3 am?

Good call on SNL, although Gilbert did not talk about anything like Schwetty Balls.

I assume they were regular on-air morning personalities -- whoever that is.

I half-expected Gilbert to report that Jay McKee had a leg infection.

Anyone follow the link to Mike Gilbert's interview?

When the question came with the context of how 16,000 signatures was essentially an arena full of fans, Gilbert shot back with words to the effect that there's "supposedly 16,000 names on there"; that he couldn't say how many of the signators were repeats, etc.

Now, he bookended that slap with lip service to how the front office listens to the fans, but then went on to say that the team has a plan in place, they're sticking to it, and that we'd hear more in the late summer.

Further confirmation still that the Sabres are about to crap the bed on what should've been a no-brainer in terms of energizing the fan base and creating a merchandise-sale bonanza.

Go Rubble HairSlugs!

They're never going to admit that it was a mistake, until it is flatly and unanimously rejected in merchandise sales. Of course he's going to discount the validity of an online petition.

Petitions, online or on paper, from politics to whatever, can be easily faked. And they will hold firm that there is no way to identify unique individuals.

But even if 30% are fake, say, that is still 12,000 people who have signed it that are real.

The Sluggalo Sabres bigwigs won't ever admit it until the bottom line is affected.

The official title is "Director of Public Relations", but I think he prefers to go by his nickname:

Wile E. Coyote Supra Evil Genius. :P

:lol:

I used to work for Mr. Gilbert years ago as an intern....he is a real good guy and I know for sure he always had a passion for the Sabres

I could only chuckle when I heard Gilbert on WBEN while I was driving in this morning.

Go ahead and "stick to your plan". Hopefully it's not your a$$ on the line(you know Quinny won't be the fall guy) when sales fall flat on slug merchandise.

First: the Interviewer identifies Mike Gilbert as "Director of Marketing", therefore I'm responding based on that information.

Mike Gilbert is one of those Marketing guys that should be given the axe. After listening to his "explanation" of this so-called Master Plan, now I see why this proposed Yellow Buffalo logo came to be. He is clueless. To make the statement that teams such as the Detroit Red Wings have kept their tradition "because they have won Stanley Cup's" is ludicrous. Saying that the Sabres organization has had some hard times and thus the evolution towards changing the jersey's, etc leaves my jaw hanging. Detroit had some pretty crappy teams back in the 70's and 80's they never changed because "new jersey's will bring us a Cup". They knew the value of tradition.

The Marketing people need to realize that when you propose and tease to the fans "we're going back to Blue and Gold" that this indicates back to our tradition. It would be well accepted to tweak the original logo and jersey striping pattern's, etc....but to totally redesign a "new" logo while keeping the Blue and Gold is a total slap in the face to citizens and fans of the Buffalo Sabres.

:angry: FIRE MIKE GILBERT :angry:

Okay let's say that not all of the over 16,000 signatures are legitimate. Let's just say that only one signature in every three is a valid one. If my calculations are correct and if my math is right that means that there are still................ a whole bunch of people that are upset.

http://www.petitiononline.com

The Buffalo Sabrse Fix The Logo petition is in the top 10 petitions on that website according to the front page.

Also, in regards to duplicate entries...sure, they may be some, but:

How are petition signatures validated?

Unlike the various flaky email petitions that periodically wander around the Internet, with PetitionOnline there is exactly one authoritative master copy of your petition. Each signature and email address (always required, but optionally confidential) is logged for possible explicit or statistical validation. Duplicate signatures are automatically rejected, and each person who signs is automatically sent a confirming email message.

Validation is a somewhat separate issue from delivery. Delivery will only include the email addresses of petition signers who have made their address public ally available. (A petition could be set up so that public email addresses are required, but it would be likely to get far fewer signers.)

If deeper validation of a petition is really called for, PetitionOnline.com has the technical ability to perform a statistical validation by contacting a sampling of signers directly via the email addresses we have privately archived. This kind of more serious validation is not included in our free petition hosting offer, but can be arranged on a cost-contract basis (see below).

Ensuring identity without invading privacy is quite a challenge. We don't see that a perfect solution is currently available, given that there is not yet any widespread foolproof system for establishing online identity. An email address is not enough to establish identity by itself, but it is substantially more than just a name, and it provides a link back to a person for (the potential of) confirming identity.

The simple fact is that there is no pleasing the fans. No matter what the team does, the fans will find something to bitch about.

And maybe you're onto something. Maybe they made the logo SO BAD on purpose to create a diversion for when Darcy screws up this off-seasons contract negotiations, or how we will low-ball all of our good players. Yeah, you're onto something.

'Cmon folks, did you honestly think management would look at that petition and praise it? Accept it's validity with open arms and change direction if in fact that is the logo of the future? Production has already begun and we are in for the unveiling in Sept. At this stage in the game we can only hope what was leaked to the public is an early design and it has since been tweaked into something more acceptable, if possible. I am no fan of this new logo and did sign the petition to voice my opinion but not with any positive hopes it would change what has already been decided upon. My major concern is with what is on the ice, not on their backs. If that is the logo, Tommy Boy is the person who should be researching the petition, looking into the possibility of tweaking the logo to make it more acceptable, and be front and center now addressing the fans. It is his pocket book that will be affected at some point. Because this is not happening you can take it one of three ways, they don't care what the fan thinks, the logo we are seeing isn't the finished product, or there isn't anything they can do about it.

The simple fact is that there is no pleasing the fans. No matter what the team does, the fans will find something to bitch about.

I agree 100%. However, do you think there would almost universal fan backlash if they had at least tried to incorporate some nod to tradition? You can never please everyone, but had they smashed this softball marketing decision out of the park they would have come alot closer to pleasing the fans than they are now.

I'm reserved to the fact that this horrible logo will be on our uniforms this year. There is nothing we can do about it. Fixthelogo.com should be changed to boycott_the_logo.com. If a mass boycott can be organized hopefully the third jerseys can be our primary jersey in the future.

'Cmon folks, did you honestly think management would look at that petition and praise it? Accept it's validity with open arms and change direction if in fact that is the logo of the future? Production has already begun and we are in for the unveiling in Sept. At this stage in the game we can only hope what was leaked to the public is an early design and it has since been tweaked into something more acceptable, if possible.

Chances are that they have already signed a 3 year deal with the apparel manafactures and have already sold licensing rights.

This is probalby the case and their marketing department has really pooped the sheets.

(this is like New Coke in terms of bad buzz before the product hits the shelves)

It is laughable really. The Slugallo will represent the city for the next three years.

Let's go Slugalloes!!!

I agree 100%. However, do you think there would almost universal fan backlash if they had at least tried to incorporate some nod to tradition?

They tried to merge the blue and gold jerseys with the newer logo. That's a nod to tradition, just not what people were expecting.

You can always say that, but 16,000 signatures don't lie. The new logo is crap, unless your legally blind (in that case my bad). Even then I think we would still be able to smell the tacky unimaginitive corporate stench surrounding it and all the people involved.

They tried to merge the blue and gold jerseys with the newer logo. That's a nod to tradition, just not what people were expecting.

People expected an "updated" logo based on the original, not a start from scratch logo that ended up looking like a slug.

Calm down. When the unis come out, then bitch. Lets see if they take the constructive critism to heart. Until then, stop fanning the fire. Tool.

How many times do people need to be reminded that the logo isn't just on the stupid jersey? It's on the ice, it's on the scoreboard, it's on stationary, it's on pucks, hats, shirts, flags, socks, coats, playing cards, websites, mugs, and whatever trival item you can think of.

If it looks like crap before it gets on all of that other merchandise, then it's crap.

People expected an "updated" logo based on the original, not a start from scratch logo that ended up looking like a slug.

Instead they got an updated version of the buffalo head. And really, did people actually want an update of the original? All that was ever thrown around were the words blue and gold. No one ever said anything about the logo.

Archived