Danny Briere

X. Benedict

This is gimmie with the level set at 4.2 million. Everyone should take the over on this HOWEVER since Im at work and gonna lose my job to a bunch of people that live in India Im going a little crazy and Ill take the under at 4 million on the nose.

This is gimmie with the level set at 4.2 million. Everyone should take the over on this HOWEVER since Im at work and gonna lose my job to a bunch of people that live in India Im going a little crazy and Ill take the under at 4 million on the nose.

i'm with dude who thinks he's losing his job to someone in india -- i'll take "under" at 4 or something like 4.125.

next stop for danny? montreal?

Over.

WAG - $4.6MM

4.6 for a guy who's best year was 65 points?

If you go dollar per point then :

Pominville $2.12

Max $5.17

Vanek $3.40

Kotalik $4.39 (who's 62 points last season were 3 less then Danny's best.)

The Sabres are doomed. To double a players contract for one great half of a season is insane. If that's the way of the NHL then the Sabres might as well pack up and move with the Super Sonics. ;)

4.6 for a guy who's best year was 65 points?

If you go dollar per point then :

Pominville $2.12

Max $5.17

Vanek $3.40

Kotalik $4.39 (who's 62 points last season were 3 less then Danny's best.)

The Sabres are doomed. To double a players contract for one great half of a season is insane. If that's the way of the NHL then the Sabres might as well pack up and move with the Super Sonics. ;)

C'mon DeLuca be fair...if you want to compare players, use points per game, not points in a season. Also why not factor in Briere's playoff totals which were terrific. Please don't compare Kotalik with Briere. What an insult.

Breire had a fluke injury and next year will put up 90+ points...Mark it down.

C'mon DeLuca be fair...if you want to compare players, use points per game, not points in a season. Also why not factor in Briere's playoff totals which were terrific. Please don't compare Kotalik with Briere. What an insult.

Breire had a fluke injury and next year will put up 90+ points...Mark it down.

I must have missed when they stopped the season when Breire got hurt <_<

Everything in the NHL is based on seasons. Playoff spots, Division Titles and awards. If the NHL decides to go to a 48 game season then maybe you can give Danny the Hart trophy.

If you want to go by a partial season then shouldn't Biron get paid like a goalie who won 49 games? Please expalin the difference.

And explain this.

The Sabres won 52 of 82 games for a .618 winning %.

Without Briere they were 21-12 for a higher .636 winning %.

And lets talk playoffs.

9 of his 19 points came against the flyers. 4 against the Sens.

Most important are the 6 against the Canes.

None in games 4,5 or 7. So I think we can eliminate the word 'clutch' from the Danny Briere bio. <_<

Everything in the NHL is based on seasons. Playoff spots, Division Titles and awards. If the NHL decides to go to a 48 game season then maybe you can give Danny the Hart trophy.

If you want to go by a partial season then shouldn't Biron get paid like a goalie who won 49 games? Please expalin the difference.

And explain this.

And lets talk playoffs.

None in games 4,5 or 7. So I think we can eliminate the word 'clutch' from the Danny Briere bio. <_<

:D we need to give you 5 minutes with the arbitrator so this works out well.

Under. His missed time and propensity for injury will take him down between 4 and 4.2.

Propensity for injury? This was the only season where he missed any significant time. It's going to come into play (well, I guess it already did since the hearing was earlier today), but it can't do too much damage. He suffered a fluke injury that was actually fairly common around sports in the past year. There is no injury trend there.

the BN article on the homepage makes it seem as though briere wasn't fully excited about the hearing... It also makes mention that his agent is still trying to hammer out a long term deal. Encouraging for the sabres, if you ask me.

And explain this.

And lets talk playoffs.

Listen...I'm not saying that the Sabres have to offer him over 5 million per year. If that's what it is going to take, you may have to let him walk. My guess is that Darcy isn't even in the 4 million a year ballpark. I guess my biggest problem with letting a dynamic player like Briere go is...who is going to replace him? Please don't suggest replacement by committee.

Listen...I'm not saying that the Sabres have to offer him over 5 million per year. If that's what it is going to take, you may have to let him walk. My guess is that Darcy isn't even in the 4 million a year ballpark. I guess my biggest problem with letting a dynamic player like Briere go is...who is going to replace him? Please don't suggest replacement by committee.

I think if Regier gives Spacek $3.3 million, he would have to be in the $4 million ballpark for Briere. If not I will agree he is a moron, but we'll probably never know.

As for who would replace him, I agree he is a very good player but he's not irreplaceable. He's not Ovechkin or Crosby or Thornton. When you put it like that, "don't suggest replacement by committee," you make it tough ... I mean, do you want a name? would you accept "They will trade for Eric Staal"? How about "Vanek will score 50 goals in 2007-08"? Both are unrealistic but you are asking what will happen like 18 months from now.

I think if Regier gives Spacek $3.3 million, he would have to be in the $4 million ballpark for Briere. If not I will agree he is a moron, but we'll probably never know.

As for who would replace him, I agree he is a very good player but he's not irreplaceable. He's not Ovechkin or Crosby or Thornton. When you put it like that, "don't suggest replacement by committee," you make it tough ... I mean, do you want a name? would you accept "They will trade for Eric Staal"? How about "Vanek will score 50 goals in 2007-08"? Both are unrealistic but you are asking what will happen like 18 months from now.

I'm asking the question...When Briere is no longer on the team, what is the plan to replace him. Replacing him with NHL'ers who clearly do not have the skill level he does, is not the answer.

I'm asking the question...When Briere is no longer on the team, what is the plan to replace him. Replacing him with NHL'ers who clearly do not have the skill level he does, is not the answer.

I think people said the same thing about Satan and Zhitnik last year. I am not saying that Briere is a glider like Satan, but no matter what we say you can say "that is not good enough" because right now he is the best player on the team. Maybe Roy keeps getting better and moves into that spot, he had a better season last year than Briere did at his age. Who knows? Maybe they take the $ 4+ million a year Briere would have made and go get someone. I know the team will not shut down and given the depth of talent I think it will remain pretty competitive. I don't think the prospect of not signing him is so dire that they should overpay for him.

It was last season when the teams winning percentage went up when he was out.

Briere has skill. He had a nice 48. But he is a long way from proving he can do it for 82 games.

I think the problem you have is the word "replace". That goes to the very dangerous assumption that if you bring every player back and the roster is the same so will the results. That you need to make everything equal inorder to win again. Which is not the case.

The roster this season is going to be filled with a bunch of young players who learned what it takes to win in the NHL. Add in this years crop of youngsters. Stir it up and see what happens.

If Briere wants to be a part of it for $2.5 to $2.75 then great. Anything more then that should have Regier on the phone dealing him ASAP. ;)

It was last season when the teams winning percentage went up when he was out.

Briere has skill. He had a nice 48. But he is a long way from proving he can do it for 82 games.

I think the problem you have is the word "replace". That goes to the very dangerous assumption that if you bring every player back and the roster is the same so will the results. That you need to make everything equal inorder to win again. Which is not the case.

The roster this season is going to be filled with a bunch of young players who learned what it takes to win in the NHL. Add in this years crop of youngsters. Stir it up and see what happens.

If Briere wants to be a part of it for $2.5 to $2.75 then great. Anything more then that should have Regier on the phone dealing him ASAP. ;)

I think Danny is worth at least $3.5MM/yr (relatively speaking). As I mentioned earlier, I thought the Arbitrator would give him significantly more than that. But I have a hard time expecting his contract to come in under $3MM.

I think Danny is worth at least $3.5MM/yr (relatively speaking). As I mentioned earlier, I thought the Arbitrator would give him significantly more than that. But I have a hard time expecting his contract to come in under $3MM.

Over $3 million for a career 50-60 point player. I though the "New NHL" was supposed to correct that problem.

I would think the arbitrator would have to stick to facts. The facts are that Briere may be flashy at times but his numbers are very average for a player with a one dementional game. He's less then an average penalty killer and is a liability in his own zone.

Here is an example.

Hecht makes $2.35. His point production is not that far off of that of Briere's. But Hecht gives you a great two way game. He's been a plus player in every NHL season he has played and is great on the PP and the PK.

Tell me. How do you justify paying more than $3 million to Briere or a million more then Hecht? :angry:

Hecht is far and away more important to the Sabres then Briere. Sabres record without Hecht? 8 wins 10 losses for a .444 winning percentage.

The Sabres need to pay for substance not flash. ;)

Over $3 million for a career 50-60 point player. I though the "New NHL" was supposed to correct that problem.

I would think the arbitrator would have to stick to facts. The facts are that Briere may be flashy at times but his numbers are very average for a player with a one dementional game. He's less then an average penalty killer and is a liability in his own zone.

Here is an example.

Hecht makes $2.35. His point production is not that far off of that of Briere's. But Hecht gives you a great two way game. He's been a plus player in every NHL season he has played and is great on the PP and the PK.

Tell me. How do you justify paying more than $3 million to Briere or a million more then Hecht? :angry:

Hecht is far and away more important to the Sabres then Briere. Sabres record without Hecht? 8 wins 10 losses for a .444 winning percentage.

The Sabres need to pay for substance not flash. ;)

Dude you are making WAY too much sense, not only for this board but for the NHL ...

I am NOT disputing anything you say here, just saying that this league will always overpay for scoring or even the promise of scoring... maybe Briere is not "worth"even $3.5 million in terms of his actual results to this point, but the fact is that he is worth what someone will pay him. And if he hits the market, he gets $5 million a year at least.

Again, I am NOT saying they should be offering him that to keep him, just saying that Havlat got $6 million a year and his best year was 68 points, about the same as Briere's best. Briere has to be figuring on at least 80 or 90 points this season, which should get him in Havlat's neighborhood, at least in his own mind. Tough to convince him to sign a 4 or 5 year deal for even $4 million a yearin that case.

Archived