Danny Briere

X. Benedict

Over $3 million for a career 50-60 point player. I though the "New NHL" was supposed to correct that problem.

I would think the arbitrator would have to stick to facts. The facts are that Briere may be flashy at times but his numbers are very average for a player with a one dementional game. He's less then an average penalty killer and is a liability in his own zone.

Here is an example.

Hecht makes $2.35. His point production is not that far off of that of Briere's. But Hecht gives you a great two way game. He's been a plus player in every NHL season he has played and is great on the PP and the PK.

Tell me. How do you justify paying more than $3 million to Briere or a million more then Hecht? :angry:

Hecht is far and away more important to the Sabres then Briere. Sabres record without Hecht? 8 wins 10 losses for a .444 winning percentage.

The Sabres need to pay for substance not flash. ;)

The Arbitrator will stick to facts and Martin Havlat's deal is likely going to factor prominently.

You are right that Hecht is a very valuable contributor to the Sabres. A case can even be made that he is more valuable than Danny is (it would be interesting to see how much support you got making that argument, but the argument can definitely be made).

That doesn't change the fact that until 2 way players start consistently getting rewarded like goal scorers do, I will expect the goal scorer to get the bucks. Seeing guys like McKee get $4MM per may start to tip the scales, but for now I will expect to see guys like Danny get bigger bucks than guys like Jochen.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It just is.

Also, the next couple of seasons will be real interesting as far as showing us how the players' share of the pie gets distributed overall. Right now, I still expect to see more teams follow the Vancouver / Philly model of trying to get 6 or 7 high priced guys and fill the rest with low priced guys than the Buffalo model of trying to limit the # of high priced guys to 1 or 2 (or 0, depending upon your definition of "high priced") and fill the rest of the roster with 2nd and 3rd liners. Hopefully for the Sabres most teams will try to get the All Stars, because the market for the types of guys I expect the Sabres to go after will be far more reasonable than if the league starts looking to stock the entire team with $2.25MM guys.

Here is an example.

Hecht makes $2.35. His point production is not that far off of that of Briere's. But Hecht gives you a great two way game. He's been a plus player in every NHL season he has played and is great on the PP and the PK.

Tell me. How do you justify paying more than $3 million to Briere or a million more then Hecht? :angry:

Hecht is far and away more important to the Sabres then Briere. Sabres record without Hecht? 8 wins 10 losses for a .444 winning percentage.

The Sabres need to pay for substance not flash. ;)

I don't know why Briere has pissed you off, but you are out of your mind! You are not going to win a Stanley cup with a bunch of 40 point scorers. You say that Hecht's point production is not that far off from Briere's? WHAT? Briere had 58 points in 48 regular season games plus 19 points in 18 playoff games for a total of 77 points in 66 games this past year. Hecht had 42 points in 64 regular season game plus 8 points in 15 playoff games for a total of 50 points in 79 games.

PS I am one of Hecht's biggest supporters and he plays a huge role on the team, but there is no comparison between the two players if you had to choose between them.

I don't know why Briere has pissed you off, but you are out of your mind! You are not going to win a Stanley cup with a bunch of 40 point scorers. You say that Hecht's point production is not that far off from Briere's? WHAT? Briere had 58 points in 48 regular season games plus 19 points in 18 playoff games for a total of 77 points in 66 games this past year. Hecht had 42 points in 64 regular season game plus 8 points in 15 playoff games for a total of 50 points in 79 games.

PS I am one of Hecht's biggest supporters and he plays a huge role on the team, but there is no comparison between the two players if you had to choose between them.

The difference between the two for their careers is .1 points per game. Hecht is .599 and Briere is .699. Considering how Hecht is the much better all around player? I'll take the .599 per game and an all around game over a flashy, one dementional .699 per game any day.

You are not going to win a Stanley cup with a bunch of 40 point scorers.

Did I miss something? Weren't they the best team in hockey this year under this scenario? You keep saying they can't when they just proved they can.

The Hechts of this league will win you Cups. The Brieres will get you on the ESPN highlights. I'll take the Cups.

Anything over $3 a year this afternoon? Trade Briere before dinner. ;)

The difference between the two for their careers is .1 points per game. Hecht is .599 and Briere is .699. Considering how Hecht is the much better all around player? I'll take the .599 per game and an all around game over a flashy, one dementional .699 per game any day.

You are not going to win a Stanley cup with a bunch of 40 point scorers.

Did I miss something? Weren't they the best team in hockey this year under this scenario? You keep saying they can't when they just proved they can.

The Hechts of this league will win you Cups. The Brieres will get you on the ESPN highlights. I'll take the Cups.

Anything over $3 a year this afternoon? Trade Briere before dinner. ;)

The Sabres were not the "Best Team" in the NHL last year. If you want to throw statisics out, Ottawa, Carolina, Detroit, they all had more wins then Buffalo and Ottawa and Carolina DOminated Buffalo during the Regular Season. Also Carolina won the Stanley cup which makes them the Best team in Hockey. Are you going to say that if the Sabres didn't have so many injuries to the Defence and had Connolly they would have won the Cup? Cause if you are, that would be very hypocritical of you since we should not be counting Brieres potential points for the games he missed but can count wins the Sabres would have had if they did not have so many injuries.

You know what, I hope the Sabres do give Briere away to a team who actually deserves him, while Buffalo fans are left having to support the NHL's newest farm team thinking they can win the cup shopping in the Bargain Bins and giving up on talent.

What are you, president of the Hecht fan club?

The Sabres were not the "Best Team" in the NHL last year. If you want to throw statisics out, Ottawa, Carolina, Detroit, they all had more wins then Buffalo and Ottawa and Carolina DOminated Buffalo during the Regular Season.

Are you sure about that?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/standings;_ylt...LxcO55h6v97vLYF

Seems to me that Buffalo, Ottawa and Carolina all had 52 wins. Detroit had more wins, but that might be a product of 8 games against Columbus, St. Louis and Chicago.

we may have to trade Briere... the Buffalo Sabres organization can not operate with 5+ players getting more than 3 million per year, especially with Drury (arguably the best ALL around player) sitting at 3.15 (?) million while others NOT as valuable as him get more or almost equal to him. If I'm Drury, I'd feel slighted... hell Hecht too. If Kotalik is worth 2.7 million, than what will they give Max? I'm afraid to even know that answer... Max will end up getting paid more than Drury too, and so will Miller (he should).

this isn't looking good for the Sabres team staying together for an affordable price...

The $$ might start to divide the locker room as well... this is bad. I hope they enjoy eachother as much as they said they do and continue to play for eachother and the TEAM because if they start getting annoyed with $$ this will be ugly

we may have to trade Briere... the Buffalo Sabres organization can not operate with 5+ players getting more than 3 million per year, especially with Drury (arguably the best ALL around player) sitting at 3.15 (?) million while others NOT as valuable as him get more or almost equal to him. If I'm Drury, I'd feel slighted... hell Hecht too. If Kotalik is worth 2.7 million, than what will they give Max? I'm afraid to even know that answer... Max will end up getting paid more than Drury too, and so will Miller (he should).

this isn't looking good for the Sabres team staying together for an affordable price...

The $$ might start to divide the locker room as well... this is bad. I hope they enjoy eachother as much as they said they do and continue to play for eachother and the TEAM because if they start getting annoyed with $$ this will be ugly

I'm not sure I understand why these guys should feel slighted. They signed contracts that they felt were fair at the time they signed them. Drury will be an UFA after next season. If the Sabres don't extend him this year, he will be in line for a big payday next year. Heck, he'll be in line for a big payday when the Sabres re-sign him.

I think Hecht will be an UFA next year as well, but am not positive about that.

Teams aren't allowed to renegotiate deals even if they wanted to in the new CBA, so what recourse do the Sabres and/or Drury have to redress a (percieved on your part) grievance? Pretty much nothing by my view of the situation. I'd be very surprised to hear that signing Drury long term doesn't move to the front burner after August 6 (or at least becomes priority #2 after signing Miller if he still hasn't reached a deal by then). I'd expect Darcy would try to get Jochen locked up as well. Whether he'll be able to do it remains to be seen (as it takes 2 to tango).

I see no reason for either of these 2 standup guys to do a slow burn when their turn is coming very soon.

I guess I worded it wrong... I wasn't saying Drury and Hecht would hold out or anything just that they would think "wow, I wish I saw this coming... I better get my money when the time comes"

I'm not worried about Drury, a great person, to act wierd to players based on money...

I didn't know about the "no re-negotiations" rule in the CBA...

Well if you think overtime losses is a good indication of who is a better team...

Well if you take their records (using points) Ottawa and Carolina are better, then if you factor in Head to Head, Ottawa and Carloina are still better. The only difference was Buffalo stepped it up when it mattered (and Ottawa was playing since February without the guy that was putting them at the top of the league) That doesn't make them the best team in the league this year

Archived