My 8 Year Old Is Crushed

Taro T

I am incredibly proud of how this Sabres team battled back from adversity all season long and for the most part laughed in the face of it.

I was so impressed with how they overcame odds that I wasn't even that bummed out about them losing, even though this team came closer (with the possible exception of the '80 team) to being the best team in the league AND deserving it more than any other Sabres team. (The '99 team got closer, but Dallas was a better team (we're still waiting to see how that ends, but Dallas was the better team), the '98 team deserved a better fate but was not better than Detroit, the '01 team had they gotten by the Pens might have won it all, but they were further away, and the '75 team was the 5th team not to win any games in Filly, so it's hard to say they deserved it more.) It's hard to be ticked about a loss when you realize that your entire defense consisted of guys that 90% of the fans considered average AHL'ers (the 3 AHLers plus Rory and Campbell definitely, and a lot of people weren't impressed with Toni before the season either, so I'll throw him in, just because).

But I let my kids stay up tonight to watch the end of the game and sent them to bed when the game "ended". I was actually feeling pretty good about the way the Sabres played and my kids getting into it, especially my oldest, until my wife pointed out to me that when my 8 yr old went to bed he was crying about the game.

This now is 2 days in a row that I am almost in tears posting, last night because of finding out about BiB (those of you who also go to the Bills board know what I am talking about) and tonight because I realize that my warped love of this team has been carried forth to another generation and it nearly killed me to see my boy in tears and my wife in tears because my boy was in tears.

I have a funny feeling that I am going to be posting well into the night commisserating with people as I cancelled my client meetings tomorrow and am totally torn between feeling pride at how the boys played and feeling like my guts were ripped out because that is how my boy feels.

This now is 2 days in a row that I am almost in tears posting, last night because of finding out about BiB (those of you who also go to the Bills board know what I am talking about) and tonight because I realize that my warped love of this team has been carried forth to another generation and it nearly killed me to see my boy in tears and my wife in tears because my boy was in tears.

I have a funny feeling that I am going to be posting well into the night commisserating with people as I cancelled my client meetings tomorrow and am totally torn between feeling pride at how the boys played and feeling like my guts were ripped out because that is how my boy feels.

The saga of being a Buffalo fan. I'm just happy my boys are too young to understand or to see their old man upset.

I am incredibly proud of how this Sabres team battled back from adversity all season long and for the most part laughed in the face of it.

I was so impressed with how they overcame odds that I wasn't even that bummed out about them losing, even though this team came closer (with the possible exception of the '80 team) to being the best team in the league AND deserving it more than any other Sabres team. (The '99 team got closer, but Dallas was a better team (we're still waiting to see how that ends, but Dallas was the better team), the '98 team deserved a better fate but was not better than Detroit, the '01 team had they gotten by the Pens might have won it all, but they were further away, and the '75 team was the 5th team not to win any games in Filly, so it's hard to say they deserved it more.) It's hard to be ticked about a loss when you realize that your entire defense consisted of guys that 90% of the fans considered average AHL'ers (the 3 AHLers plus Rory and Campbell definitely, and a lot of people weren't impressed with Toni before the season either, so I'll throw him in, just because).

But I let my kids stay up tonight to watch the end of the game and sent them to bed when the game "ended". I was actually feeling pretty good about the way the Sabres played and my kids getting into it, especially my oldest, until my wife pointed out to me that when my 8 yr old went to bed he was crying about the game.

Dave its not just your 8 year old that cried many of us Sabres fans cried tonight. This was a special team and no matter how decemated with injuries we took this team to 7 before it became to much.

Hang in there Dave!

My son is 7, will be 8 on June 17th. He is taking it well, yet seemed crushed after they lost.

Thanks for posting... I went up to check on him, never thinking that he may be upset. Hope everybody hangs in there and stay strong!

This team makes me feel so proud... As usual, my son will be wearing his Sabres hat to school tommorrow and wearing it proudly!

Well, like others have said, welcome to Buffalo. My son has never lived there yet loves the Bills, Sabres and Yankees. Guess I brainwashed him good. He is 13 and this is the farthest he's seen a team go. He remembers the music city miracle game, but this is the first time as an older kid he's seen a Buff team go far. But you know what, even he is excited by this team for next year. Its a huge part of being a fan, looking forward, accepting victory and defeat, and I think it will serve him well. He's playing football down here in TX and oh man is that a huge deal. But, when we play a team from "another side" of town, our little guys typically take a beating. But he's the first one to shake hands, and i think that kinda stuff comes from watching your reaction, and from seeing the line after tonights game. So be upbeat and tell your kid theres always next year, I remember my Dad telling me that, and now it continues.

Dave, just remind him if they always won there would be no reason to watch. When we finally get one, he will thank you.

My daughter, who is 12, has never watched hockey before this post-season, but she got very into it. She was so disappointed when the Sabres lost game 5 after leading it 3-1. Today she helped me make a Sabres shirt to wear to the game (we live in Raleigh). It's hard to see these innocent souls hurt by things like this, but it's part of life.

As I walked back to my car from the arena, I fell in step with a middle-aged woman and her little boy, probably 8 years old or so. We were all three of us quiet (the Carolina fans were whooping and blowing their car horns). It was dark and she couldn't see the silly shirt I was wearing but the woman asked me if I was a Buffalo fan like she and her son, and we talked for a few minutes until we had to part. I asked her where she lived. She and her family live in South Carolina, but they are moving back to Grand Island to be closer to her elderly parents. The woman's older brother was recently killed in Iraq, and it has devastated their parents. She wants to be closer to them to help them out.

It was only a few minutes, I never got her name, and then we had to part. I commisserated with her about the loss of her brother, and wished them a safe drive back to South Carolina. It puts the loss of a hockey game in perspective. I noticed the stars were still shining as the Carolina fans sped away in their cars, their flags waving and blowing their horns.

I feel your pain brother. My Boy was only 6 when the Bills lost that heartbreaker to the Giants. He cried his eyes out that night. I felt horrible. I felt bad for him and I felt guilty for being a Bills fan and subjecting him to that. But he handled the next 3 losses quite well. Probably because they were blow-outs.

He was then 14 when the Sabres got robbed by the Starz. He was crushed then too. He played tuff, but as i went into his room to tell him good night, I saw tears in his eyes.

I just got off the phone with him (he's 21 now) and he was dissapointed but not sad. I sensed a pride in him that he backs such a gutty team.

There's nothing better than being a Bills/Sabres fan.....call me crazy....ok. But imagine the tears of joy when one of these teams wins the big one. Our loyalty will reap us the ultimate reward.

Hang in there guy, and tell your son that that whole locker room had grown men that wept as well. nothing wrong with that.

Tell him being a fan of Buffalo is full of heartbreak. But he'll be rewarded by the comradarie and big heartedness of Buffalo fans around the world. What we sacrifice in championships, we double in friendships.

He'll learn. And he'll love you for it one day.

Everyone who posted,

thank you for the kind words. I know the sun will rise tomorrow, and I said many of the things you suggested to my boy to get him to realize the same.

It was a truly bittersweet moment watching my boy get so painfully into the Sabres, I knew exactly what he was going through but almost wished he still had my younger one's ambivalence as he went right to sleep with nary a tear. But on the other side, it was so cool this playoff run to have him wake up in the morning and ask me how the Sabres did the night before and start to be able to name players and pick favorites.

OS, it's funny you mention SB XXV because although I am a Sabres fan 1st and foremost, that one occurred when I was living in the south and I was so into that team (a team from Buffalo winning ANYTHING was a great thought) that I was depressed for a month after that game. I wasn't depressed nearly as long after any Sabres loss. (I was ticked for a long time in '99, but NOT depressed.)

I feel your pain brother. My Boy was only 6 when the Bills lost that heartbreaker to the Giants. He cried his eyes out that night. I felt horrible. I felt bad for him and I felt guilty for being a Bills fan and subjecting him to that. But he handled the next 3 losses quite well. Probably because they were blow-outs.

He was then 14 when the Sabres got robbed by the Starz. He was crushed then too. He played tuff, but as i went into his room to tell him good night, I saw tears in his eyes.

I just got off the phone with him (he's 21 now) and he was dissapointed but not sad. I sensed a pride in him that he backs such a gutty team.

There's nothing better than being a Bills/Sabres fan.....call me crazy....ok. But imagine the tears of joy when one of these teams wins the big one. Our loyalty will reap us the ultimate reward.

Hang in there guy, and tell your son that that whole locker room had grown men that wept as well. nothing wrong with that.

'

I'm only 21 as well, and my first sports memory is wide right. Ever sence i have been nothing but a Buffalo fan, I bleed blue and gold for the sabres and blue for the bills. I love buffalo and always will, the heart break is just part of it. I cant wait until this city finaly wins a deserved championship, when it happens the whole city will eropt. Until you feel the emotion of a terible defeat you can never truly feel true happiness with victory. I know that when either of my teams win I will feel like I deserve the feeling victory.

With that said I thought this was the team that would bring it home, and this loss hearts more than any other I have lived through. As I sat over my beer all I could thing was what could have been had we stayed healthy. As ussual for Buffalo fans I know there will be a next year and that it is only a few months away.

THANK YOU SABRES!!!!!

AND LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave,

I have 3 children of my own, including the eldest- a son. Let me tell you, I know exactly how you feel because my boy felt the same way.

It's funny being on this board- we all love the Sabres (except for the occasional troll like The Goat, of course). I am in awe of just how strong a team Lindy and Darcy put together and how well they came together throughout the season. And I have nothing but pride at the heart they showed in this series and throughout the season and post season.

My son Tyler and I have a lot to be thankful for. I could not have hoped for a better experience in sharing with him what the Sabres showed tonight. He told me just before he went to sleep that he wants to learn how to skate- what's cooler than that? That, my friend, is what it's all about (my broken heart notwithstanding).

Go Oilers,

Matt.

Wow. What a great thread. I'm a father too and while I feel pretty melancholy right now, one of my biggest consolations is that my 6-year son got into the Sabres this year.

We live in NYC (I grew up in Buffalo) and I took him to his first hockey game ever when the Sabres played the Islanders this year right before Thanksgiving (we had lost in a shootout to the Rangers the night before, but Kotalik tied this one up with less than a minute to go and then we won in the shootout on a sweet Connolly goal). Since then he's been pretty interested, watches some of the games with me, wants to see all the goals on Tivo the next morning, knows a lot of the players and their uniform numbers, was very psyched when I got him a jersey and some t-shirts, etc.

I'm sure everyone who posted on this thread knows the unbelievable joys of fatherhood. Combining that with the thrills of caring about one of your hometown teams creates a really unique, wonderful experience.

So, among all of the other reasons to thank the Sabres for this incredible season, and the posters on these boards for sharing their thoughts with me and allowing me to share mine, let me add one more huge reason: adding to the bond between my son and me.

Let's go, Buffalo!

'

I'm only 21 as well, and my first sports memory is wide right. Ever sence i have been nothing but a Buffalo fan, I bleed blue and gold for the sabres and blue for the bills. I love buffalo and always will, the heart break is just part of it. I cant wait until this city finaly wins a deserved championship, when it happens the whole city will eropt. Until you feel the emotion of a terible defeat you can never truly feel true happiness with victory. I know that when either of my teams win I will feel like I deserve the feeling victory.

With that said I thought this was the team that would bring it home, and this loss hearts more than any other I have lived through. As I sat over my beer all I could thing was what could have been had we stayed healthy. As ussual for Buffalo fans I know there will be a next year and that it is only a few months away.

THANK YOU SABRES!!!!!

"Until you feel the emotion of a terible defeat you can never truly feel true happiness with victory."

that is one awesome outlook! You, my friend, seem wise beyond your years.....except for the occasional typo :D i guess the alcohol has your fingers slurring

great post, bud!

Dave,

I have 3 children of my own, including the eldest- a son. Let me tell you, I know exactly how you feel because my boy felt the same way.

It's funny being on this board- we all love the Sabres (except for the occasional troll like The Goat, of course). I am in awe of just how strong a team Lindy and Darcy put together and how well they came together throughout the season. And I have nothing but pride at the heart they showed in this series and throughout the season and post season.

My son Tyler and I have a lot to be thankful for. I could not have hoped for a better experience in sharing with him what the Sabres showed tonight. He told me just before he went to sleep that he wants to learn how to skate- what's cooler than that? That, my friend, is what it's all about (my broken heart notwithstanding).

Go Oilers,

Matt.

I can think of few things cooler than that. If you don't mind my asking, are you in an area where there are many options for leagues (such as WNY) or are you somewhere where the options are limited?

Wow. What a great thread. I'm a father too and while I feel pretty melancholy right now, one of my biggest consolations is that my 6-year son got into the Sabres this year.

We live in NYC (I grew up in Buffalo) and I took him to his first hockey game ever when the Sabres played the Islanders this year right before Thanksgiving (we had lost in a shootout to the Rangers the night before, but Kotalik tied this one up with less than a minute to go and then we won in the shootout on a sweet Connolly goal). Since then he's been pretty interested, watches some of the games with me, wants to see all the goals on Tivo the next morning, knows a lot of the players and their uniform numbers, was very psyched when I got him a jersey and some t-shirts, etc.

I'm sure everyone who posted on this thread knows the unbelievable joys of fatherhood. Combining that with the thrills of caring about one of your hometown teams creates a really unique, wonderful experience.

So, among all of the other reasons to thank the Sabres for this incredible season, and the posters on these boards for sharing their thoughts with me and allowing me to share mine, let me add one more huge reason: adding to the bond between my son and me.

Let's go, Buffalo!

this is a great thread. I'll tell you what, it helps to be on here posting and reading everyone's replies. I'm in AZ but all my brothers (all 7 of them) still live in Rochester. I can't seem to pick up the phone and call them, nor they me, but I appreciate my fellow Sabre fans here.

Next year, may we be posting about how great a feeling it is to have our team hoist the cup!

'

THANK YOU SABRES!!!!!

I too am 21 years old and i remember getting so upset when 'wide right' occured, little did i know that nearly 14 years later I would still be craving a winning buffalo franchise...However I agreed w/ you when you say that the feeling of victory will be much deserved and will feel amazing and for that day to come prematurly wouldn't do the feeling justice, however much like you i began thinking that THIS was the team, THIS was the season but of course another year will hold our championchip title. Maybe next year, Maybe the year after whenever it happens I Will be ready, and boy will i ever appreciate it. I hope its this team because I love this team. GO SABRES!!!!

I can think of few things cooler than that. If you don't mind my asking, are you in an area where there are many options for leagues (such as WNY) or are you somewhere where the options are limited?

I'm in the DC area and we already scoped out a few places for lessons (there are a few rinks here in Fairfax County that do ok). There are a few leagues but nothing major as far as I can tell- certainly not like it is back "home".

But my son is 5 so there is still some time for him to get everything together. I was laughing tonight with my wife, saying that he wants to be a hockey player. The cool thing is, this past winter I took him skating and he really did well- he could skate but always crashed the boards because he did not know how to stop.

I guess my point is that the Sabres mean the world to kids like Dave b's son and my own. I am thankful for them staying in Buffalo. We make a point to go to at least 1 game a year in Buffalo (my mom still lives there). Can't wait until next season!

My son is a fan because I am. He knew I was upset tonight, but he made sure he didn't do anything to "make me mad."

He's 7 and a sensitive guy.

Anyway, I threw off my hat, took of my shirt and put on my Away England Jersey to get ready for the World Cup next week. He could see I was sad.

I called him over and gave him a hug and he started to tear up. He said he didn't like to see me sad and that he was sad because the team lost. I told him that it was just a hockey game and that all that mattered to me was him, his sister (4) and his mom. And that I was very proud of how our team played. I told him thanks for supporting me and that life would go on. He was a trooper. I love my Sabres, but I love my kids and wife more. Hopefully, before I die, I can add a Sabre Cup win. But you know what, they are Champions to me, no matter what the books say.

Fans in Buffalo have a lot of baggage, but you're not alone. I live in B.C. and it hurts all the same guys. All the same. No I am not a Bills fan, so it's not as deep, but I'm 40 and been a fan of this Sabres team since 75. I'm sad. Good night

My son is a fan because I am. He knew I was upset tonight, but he made sure he didn't do anything to "make me mad."

He's 7 and a sensitive guy.

Anyway, I threw off my hat, took of my shirt and put on my Away England Jersey to get ready for the World Cup next week. He could see I was sad.

I called him over and gave him a hug and he started to tear up. He said he didn't like to see me sad and that he was sad because the team lost. I told him that it was just a hockey game and that all that mattered to me was him, his sister (4) and his mom. And that I was very proud of how our team played. I told him thanks for supporting me and that life would go on. He was a trooper. I love my Sabres, but I love my kids and wife more. Hopefully, before I die, I can add a Sabre Cup win. But you know what, they are Champions to me, no matter what the books say.

Fans in Buffalo have a lot of baggage, but you're not alone. I live in B.C. and it hurts all the same guys. All the same. No I am not a Bills fan, so it's not as deep, but I'm 40 and been a fan of this Sabres team since 75. I'm sad. Good night

Like I started this thread with, my kid didn't do anything to upset me except care so much for how the Sabres did to be crying when they lost tonight. Your boy sounds like a good kid, hopefully (for both our sakes) next year will be the Sabres year.

I cried every year through the early and mid 70's as the Sabres got knocked out year after year during what I consider their greatest era. Your son's allegiance as a Sabres fan has begun and more than likely will stay with him his entire life.

Wow, it is odd to read this. I also took my kids out to watch the game last night, and my 8-year old daughter cried herself to sleep last night, she was so broken up about it. Now, I am questioning whether or not I'm a bad guy for passing this "curse" on to my kids. I'm not so sure I want them to have to suffer like I have being a die-hard fan of the Sabres, Bills, and yeah, the Cubs. I'm a masochist that has to question, every year, why I put myself through this. I've been following these teams for over 30 years, and not once have I ever felt what it's like to win it all.

Archived