Jay McKee

JCBoston

If it is the flu? Micahael Jordan had it and we all know what happened in that basketball game, too bad Jay isn't a forward... :D :D

Now if it is staph, that's bad! I recall reading recently (think it was a past SI issue) how staph is effecting locker rooms... Progresses very rapidly and can kill very quickly if some blow it off as not serious. Not sure what Leonard Smith (Bills, early SB years)? But, it was career ending.

I hope we can get more details.

May God bless Jay and the Sabres... More impotantly Jay!

Leonard Smith got a staph infection from getting a cortizone injection after the Bills - Broncos game. Apparently, his knee wasn't cleaned properly (sterilized) prior to receiving the injection.

I feel so sad right now. I'm numb! I just want to shout out an F word that rhymes with puck.

Time to play the relentless song... It gets and keeps me stoked. Wish there was more of the first song in there. For some reason, that resonates with me....Play it now!

Look. We are going to win. Period.

That said, don't expect McKee back any time soon. My wife had the same infection earlier this spring as the result of a cut from stepping on some broken glass. It came on just as suddenly -- she woke up in the middle of the night in extreme pain with her leg swollen -- and it just got worse. The doctors didn't treat it as quickly, the bastards, but eventually she ended up in the hospital with antibiotic IVs pumping into her for three days. She's better now but it took weeks before she could even walk without a limp. This is not something to #%^$#! with. I'm sure Jay is in much better shape and was treated more quickly, but all the same I could very easily see him being out for the rest of the season.

But the fact that I am giving you a prognosis for the Finals should tell you all you need to know. We will be in the finals. #%^$#! the hockey gods. Like Jobu, they no help us. We do it ourselves.

My Mom had a staph infection in her ankle and almost lost her foot. It ate away the cartilage in her ankle and it's fused now. This is pretty serious.

I'm nervous, naseous, anxious, etc. about tonight. I was confident this AM, but now....well, good luck Amerks on D and good luck Sabres up front. All we can hope for is that the young'uns throw their bodies in front of every shot, and our vets play the game of their lives. This is the Cup tonight. Forget the next round...we're playing for the Cup tonight.

I wonder if this is in any way related to blocking so many shots with his lower leg down on the ice?

Maybe?

But, where does the staph come from?

As I said earlier... It seems that locker rooms (at all levels) are becoming places that one can pick-up very resilient strains...

??

I wonder if this is in any way related to blocking so many shots with his lower leg down on the ice?

I personally think it was a Canes employee who has connections to someone in the "Research Triangle" who got a few petri dishes of Staph and spread it all over the Sabres locker room prior to game 5.

I'd like to see Lindy say that one with a straight face.

You can pick up a staph infection in your own house. Anything you touch in public can have staph bacteria on it.

My guess is the lockerroom. I'll start another rumor:

My cousin's boss's uncle's maid's brother works at RBC and said that Carolina officials placed staph bacteria in the Sabres RBC lockerroom before game 5. :(

Round and round we go!

UPDATE: Dwight! Beat me to it.

Maybe?

But, where does the staph come from?

As I said earlier... It seems that locker rooms (at all levels) are becoming places that one can pick-up very resilient strains...

??

It's well known that staph can be caught in the locker room. If you've ever played hockey, you know that the equipment of every player becomes completely soaked with sweat. It's easy to have all kinds of garbage growing in your gear. There's new technology out that can completely clean and disinfect sports equipment. Several business have sprung up with this service. Here in DC, there's a company that works with the Capitals. You just take your entire hockey bag to them, and in a few days you get it back, and everything is clean and fresh.

I just hope it's not because the Sabres didn't keep the players' gear clean. That would be a terrible way to lose out on the chance of a lifetime.

FUG!

Apparently is was a cut he got in the Ottawa Series on his shin and it was hit again by one of the assistant coaches in practice. Then yesterday apparently he woke up in pain.

If the Sabres do win tonight, I wouldn't count him out for the playoffs. It depends on how bad it is, they said he was treated at a hospital (IVs probably) but never admitted. Sounds like it isn't carrer threatening or anything...

My 2-yr old daughter had a resistant strain of staph last year. She spent 2 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics but was fine otherwise, just extremely tender at the site of the infection. I'm sure these cases can be very different, but if Jay didn't even get admitted I'd imagine he'll be good to go Monday. Golisano probably has a jet on the runway in Buffalo in case Jay is up to it - it is likely more an issue of the swelling at this point than concern for the infection.

I blocked a shot earlier this year, and it hit me just right, and caused a cut on my shinbone. I can't imagine how many shots cut Jay, since they're all NHL-Level shots. His shins have to be a mess; a place where infection could ooze into his body directly from his bacteria-laden shinpads.

The players need to start demanding their equipment be cleaned and sanitized after every game/practice. Their lives are truly at stake.

I am willing to go lay down on the ice in front of Miller for 20 minutes and be murdered by rubber if anyone else is with me.

They'll win this damn game.

I'm with you, I'm also willing to take a shot at staahl, or give weight another shiner (something to really cry about, not like a penalty for hitting a guy into the boards from behind, Boo Hoo)

Archived