RJ's call on Pominville's goal...

LabattBlue

As I sit here and go through hockey withdrawals for the next 5 days...

Rick has had some classics over the years, but what was up with the "these guys are good...scary good" after he just used it a few games earlier. I'm sure it is not easy to come up with a great line on the fly, but I have come to expect fantastic calls from him.

GO SABRES!!!

My sig on TSW is:

"He gets paid to blurt out?" "Who pays him to do that?" ~My 7 year old son after hearing a Sabres' game called by Rick Jeanerette

He caught some of the games... Being a big fan of "blurting out" lots of information and a chip off the old block... :blush: :blush: He found Rick Jeanerette's play-by-play skills fascinating...

I take he doesn't get to "blurt out" at school or that it is frowned upon?...

His teacher says whenever he raises his hand: "I am I gonna want to hear this?"... Now I guess he can add "scary good", "top-self where mama hides the cookies to his arsenal.

A young Jeanerette in the making? I don't know but, he finds listening to him a hoot!

You go Rick!

Rick has had some classics over the years, but what was up with the "these guys are good...scary good" after he just used it a few games earlier. I'm sure it is not easy to come up with a great line on the fly, but I have come to expect fantastic calls from him.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm not sure if I've ever found anything to complain about RJ or his game calls before, but I have to agree here. I thought that the "scary good" line did seem to be rather forced. Part of what makes RJ so much fun is that he does such an incredible job at always sounding spontaneous and emotional, not planned out.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying makes sense, because, for whatever reason, his "Now do you believe?" line I thought was OUTSTANDING, and love the fact that it's started to sort of become a repititious call...something that 10 years from now, we'll all be able to identify as a special part of the 2006 playoff run. For whatever reason though, the second time he pulled the "scary good" line, it just seemed forced.

Of coures, he's still the best play by play announcer in the world in my opinion...

Not sure what I'd give up to hear him say that eight more times this season, but it'd be alot.

You know life is pretty good when you're spending time debating your really awesome PBP guy's new current catch phrase. Who'd have thought that at the beginning of this season when we lost our best stat forward and minute hog defensemen?

I like the call. Yeah he may have used it before, but for some reason it really resonates with me. Scary good indeed and loving it. I agree with Alaska Darin, I would not mind hearing it 8 more times.

Not sure what I'd give up to hear him say that eight more times this season, but it'd be alot.

You know life is pretty good when you're spending time debating your really awesome PBP guy's new current catch phrase. Who'd have thought that at the beginning of this season when we lost our best stat forward and minute hog defensemen?

I agree. As we ride this unbelievable wave, I didn't want to come across as "the guy who will always find something to complain about". I just thought it was not up to previous RJ standards. :)

GO SABRES!!!

He should have went with "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday Jason Pominville in overtime" :lol:

I like the call. Yeah he may have used it before, but for some reason it really resonates with me. Scary good indeed and loving it. I agree with Alaska Darin, I would not mind hearing it 8 more times.

I'd like to hear it seven more times. The eigth, if it should come to pass, would have to invlove the Buffalo Sabres hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup.

I agree that it may have been scripted, but who cares!?! We're in the East Finals and Ottawa isn't. The Ottawa radio guys will have all off-season to come up with scripted goal calls.

In my opinion, RJ's calls on Max's and JP's goals in Game 3 of the Sens series are among his best ever.

I'm not an idiot....I know how to spell Sabre

I agree that it may have been scripted, but who cares!?! We're in the East Finals and Ottawa isn't. The Ottawa radio guys will have all off-season to come up with scripted goal calls.

In my opinion, RJ's calls on Max's and JP's goals in Game 3 of the Sens series are among his best ever.

I hope I didn't sound like a Debbie Downer in my previous post, I wasn't trying to ruin the party. RJ hardly ever sounds scripted, which is why he's so great. Generally speaking, ANY kind of play-by-play call that sounds scripted usually isn't that great (watch SportsCenter). Al Michaels at the 1980 Miracle on Ice, Jack Buck's "I don't believe what I just saw!", "May Day! May Day!" etc, all were so spontaneous, and thus, classic.

The "Do You Believe" did sound spontaneous to me, the Scary Good, didn't.

Of course I agree that debating a shorthanded series clinching goal by a rookie sure is a lot more fun than what Flyers, Sens, Leafs, Rangers, Devils, Stars, Flames and Habs fans are discussing today!

I think RJ is right up there with the gods of hockey broadcasting:

Foster Hewitt, Danny Gallivan and guys like that.

I can't say anything bad about RJ: It's all great. I hope he sticks

around, even if he broadcasts just the home games in the future.

He's said that the end is in sight...he's tired of the travel.

Especially these last three or so years where there has absolutely

zilch to cheer about, RJ is our cheerleader. He runs circles around

the rest of the NHL broadcasters.

Love live RJ!

Amen! You really appreciate Jeanneret when listening to the younger generations of play by play guys. The phony "broadcasting voice," the annoying pitter-patter rhythms. And the ridiculous terminology. No one shoots the puck off the glass. They fire it off "the window." No one ices the puck. They propel the "biscuit" the length of the "pond." What strikes me most is that very few guys actually can do a PLAY BY PLAY of a game anymore. When the call gets tough, they fall back on inane conversations with their partner. Jeanneret is a 60-minute player, and then some. All hail Jeanneret! Bow before the master, you punks with the hairspray and the Mr. Microphone pipes.

Not sure if this was brought up... But, he has used "scary good" and "do you believe"... Go through the audio, I think he used it in game one and at other times...

Just my $.02.

:D

Amen! You really appreciate Jeanneret when listening to the younger generations of play by play guys. The phony "broadcasting voice," the annoying pitter-patter rhythms. And the ridiculous terminology. No one shoots the puck off the glass. They fire it off "the window." No one ices the puck. They propel the "biscuit" the length of the "pond." What strikes me most is that very few guys actually can do a PLAY BY PLAY of a game anymore. When the call gets tough, they fall back on inane conversations with their partner. Jeanneret is a 60-minute player, and then some. All hail Jeanneret! Bow before the master, you punks with the hairspray and the Mr. Microphone pipes.

Exactly!

And he actually keeps up with the names on the OPPOSING team... Does his homework to stay abreast of who is who... Sure he is a "homer", but he calls on both sides... Maybe without the excitement... :D :D Litening to the Sens broadcast on Sirius, I can barely visualize where the play was when the Sens DIDN'T have the puck...

Shows the color and imaginative, inventive voice that reporters and play-by-play guys had back in the day... ie: Irv Weinstein... "Buffalo smoke eaters battle 4 alarm blaze" school of colorful reporting...

Agh, you people and your crazy conversations....

I loved when he said "Now do you believe" and the scary good part is awesome and fitting because it was JASON POMINVILLE barreling his way through alfredsson and redden and emery and ottawa while shorthanded in overtime of a possible series clincher. Maybe you expect that from Briere or Drury but Pominville? Brian Murray had no idea what hit him.

I am tempted to pop in the game 5 tape just cuz I need a fix you know, I dunno, I'm trying to be strong cuz it kinda feels wrong to watch a game with such adoration when there are more to come...sooo I think I'll opt not to and just keep watching highlight vids and montages, whatever propels time forward to saturday 2pm

I felt like RJ was really showing his feelings about this team. He was probably embarrased about the way some Sabre fans had reacted to the loss in game 4. It sounded like he was saying, "I had faith in these guys, why didn't you?" That's just one crazy white boy's opinion. :P

Not sure if this was brought up... But, he has used "scary good" and "do you believe"... Go through the audio, I think he used it in game one and at other times...

Just my $.02.

:D

Exactly!

And he actually keeps up with the names on the OPPOSING team... Does his homework to stay abreast of who is who... Sure he is a "homer", but he calls on both sides... Maybe without the excitement... :D :D Litening to the Sens broadcast on Sirius, I can barely visualize where the play was when the Sens DIDN'T have the puck...

Shows the color and imaginative, inventive voice that reporters and play-by-play guys had back in the day... ie: Irv Weinstein... "Buffalo smoke eaters battle 4 alarm blaze" school of colorful reporting...

He even has the AUDACITY to ASK opposing players how THEY pronounce their last name. Not only does he know who the other guys are (which I am still amazed that some pbp announcers don't), he knows how to pronounce their names. He is truly a professional.

Good comment, Dave, and others. I've always said the great thing about Jeanneret is not the passion and the excitement and all that, but the mundane stuff: he tells us who has the puck, where the puck is, he gets the names and the time left on power plays right. Simple stuff. But stuff a lot of guys can't do. His reportorial (I think that's a word) skills are impressive. And even though he is a homer, he does give a tremendous amount of respect to the game and the opponent.

I will agree that his calls have gotten a bit scripted since May Day, which, after "May Day" seemed very prepared. In Game 5, as well, I think he knew exactly what he wanted to say if we scored. I think Rick is very self conscious about his reputation as a "screamer." He has often said, "I'm not really that excited. If I was, I wouldn't be able to do the job." Well I think he IS that excited but is trying to control himself more than before. He should get back to his roots and just go nuts when the time is appropriate. If and when "you know what" occurs, I want him to unload.

Archived