Just for discussion (and because we did it after Philly)...

nfreeman

Mine are:

1. Tallinder

2. Drury

3. Miller

The above is subject to the HUGE caveat that this might have been even more of a team win than the Philly series. Ottawa's stars (esp. Alfredsson -- it seemed like he couldn't get a shot on net) didn't produce like they should have, but that is still a great team we just beat. (I'm still in a bit of shock we pulled it off, to be completely honest).

IMHO, we won because (i) Miller was outstanding and (ii) we played an incredibly tough, disciplined, consistent team-defense-oriented game for the last 4 games of the series. Ottawa got a lot more shots than we did but not many more scoring chances. We blocked shots, we broke up passes, we took away shooting lanes, and we never stopped playing with desperation. I had Tallinder #1 because I think he's our best defenseman, but it could just have easily been McKee or Lydman (with Teppo not far behind either).

Meanwhile, Drury has 6 goals in 11 playoff goals, every one one of them absolutely effing huge. Darcy traded a darned good defenseman (Warrener) for Drury because he knew we needed a leader up front, and Drury is delivering the goods.

Go Sabres.

1. Miller

2. Drury

3. Emery ... Laugh if you want at my third, but he was hung out to dry most of the time by horrible defensive coverage, he brought three games to OT, and was the only reason they won any games at all.

I agree.

Has there ever been a losing goalie, who had zero confidence, zero skill, and looked 1000x worse than robert esche who quietly had a very good series, as emery had? Besides that 7 goal drubbing, he played damn well... 2 goals, 3 goals, 1 goal, 3 goals against? That's fairly decent if you ask me.

Mine are:

1. Tallinder

2. Drury

3. Miller

Glad to see Tallinder as #1. Wow, he's turned into an excellent d-Man. Glad he's ours! I like your other two picks, too. When, in those dark moments I thought of Ottawa turning into the Red Sox and coming back from 3-0, I said wait a minute, we have Chris Drury, so it can't happen! A team with Drury on it would never let that happen. And Yes, Miller was excellent. I was hard on him earlier, but I'm glad Ruff stuck with him.

My top three:

1. The Buffalo Sabres

2. The Buffalo Sabres

3. The Buffalo Sabres

That was truly a team victory. Same with the Flyers series. Do you realize this team has nine players with three or more goals? And that fourteen different Sabres have lit the lamp in the postseason? And that in our five one-goal victories, a different player has provided the winning tally each time (Briere, Drury, Hecht, Dumont, Pominville)? Miller has been stellar save for the Umberger goal and Game 1 of the Ottawa series. His defensemen have blocked untold shots and provided timely offense -- Tallinder joining the rush for Roy's Game 1 goal, for example.

This team is firing on all cylinders right now. Eight down. Eight to go.

I agree.

Has there ever been a losing goalie, who had zero confidence, zero skill, and looked 1000x worse than robert esche who quietly had a very good series, as emery had? Besides that 7 goal drubbing, he played damn well... 2 goals, 3 goals, 1 goal, 3 goals against? That's fairly decent if you ask me.

Emery was terrible in the series. He's just not ready to be an NHL playoff goalie yet. He still needs work on lateral movement and reading the play.

The goals he gave up in overtime in games 1 and 5 were horrible. Drury's shot in game one wasn't even a one-timer, he settled the puck before shooting, and still beat Emery. Against Pominville, he had the opportunity for a poke check, and did not drive off his right skate across the crease.

I know that Ottawa gave up odd man breaks, but so did the Sabres. Every team gives up an odd an break or two and the goalie has to make the play. Miller did, Emery didn't.

Muckler should have had a better plan B. Emery's poor play in game one changed the way Ottawa played the series. They were unable to run and gun because they were worried their goalie wouldn't have their backs.

To believe that Emery deserves a star in this series is laughable. The guy had 1 save in overtime, and 3 goals against. Not exactly the second coming of Patrick Roy.

So tell me, if Miller was such a star, how the hellw as Emery close to him, as some of you think?

Emery looked like a 2nd class goaltender comapred to Miller, why is Emery being mentioned?

I don't think many are really comparing Emery and Miller and saying they are really close, but Emery was still a decent goalie. It doesn't help that his team left him out to dry the majority of the time. I mean, why should you even try to make the save when your team is acting like a bunch of pilons infront of him and let 2 guys just walk in infront of the net for a goal? He kept Ottawa in every game they played. He wasn't spectacular like Miller, but he is a decent goaltender who may become big in the future (probably on a different team after they run him out of town like they did Lalime)

1. Briere

2. Miller

3. Drury

Briere was involved in most of the big goals. His passing around the net was huge.

Miller played rock solid after game 1

Drury made the big goals.

Archived