Best Sabres overtime goal ever?

PASabreFan

It's funny thinking back on overtime goals in Sabre history. Not that many have been spectacular -- I mean, they ALL were spectacular, but you know what I mean.

I think May's goal is still on top of the heap, but wow Jason's has to be a close second.

Thoughts?

It's funny thinking back on overtime goals in Sabre history. Not that many have been spectacular -- I mean, they ALL were spectacular, but you know what I mean.

I think May's goal is still on top of the heap, but wow Jason's has to be a close second.

Thoughts?

I'm kind of partial to Plante's and Wooley's myself (and I still can't stand Wooley).

I don't mean favorite or big, I mean spectacular, goddamn it, you hosers!!!!!!!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo.

Spec. Tac. U. Lar.

No, I haven't been drinking. I'm just in a special place called Pominville. :)

I don't mean favorite or big, I mean spectacular, goddamn it, you hosers!!!!!!!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo.

Spec. Tac. U. Lar.

No, I haven't been drinking. I'm just in a special place called Pominville. :)

OK, if Plante's wasn't "spectacular", then I will go with Gare's (vs Dryden) or Robert's (vs Parent).

Hey Dave do you remember any of the three overtime winners in 76? Gare in Game 2 and Luce in Game 3 vs. St. Louis in that nightmarish Staniowski series, then Gare again vs. the Islanders. I can remember all of the other winners. But it bugs me that I can't remember any of those.

may is still #1 overall, but for a pure individual effort, pominville is #1...

the may goal is #1 because it was a changing of the guard... the sabres hadn't gotten past the first round since 1895. they were up 3 games to 0 against the mighty boston bruins, and down 5-2 in the 3rd period with a BACKUP hasek in for an injured fuhr. Lafontaine set that up by passing the puck laying down due to his shredded knee. may, yes brad friggin may deked ray bourque out of his jockstrap to score a goal that was immortalized by a call by the radio announcer. Every fan of the NHL has heard that call and knows it. it was the NHL's version of "the shot heard round the world". Mayday was more than a goal.

however...

you'll never see a better individual effort than pominville's goal last night. its a close #2.

May Day in terms of its significance in Sabres history and the actual play itself have to put it at the top of the list. I think some people forget how the puck actually got to May. LaFontaine, after being tripped and on his ass, puts a tape to tape pass to May who then undressed both Hall of Famer Ray Bourque and Andy Moog.. Its one of the prettiest plays I've ever seen.

Pominville's goal was so ironic, after not being able to get around Ottawa's D, we do it at the very time of their demise. Amazing.

Jesus, how many overtime winners have we added to our repertoire in the Sabres past 4 or 5 offseasons? We have "CURTIS BROWNS MAD DASH!", numerous Stu Barnes Goals, JP the other night. Holy crap man. I love it. It sounds so good to hear Jeanneret belt out "AND THEY WIN IT IN OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVERTIME!"

Um.....

Saturday, April 22nd 2006...

Double OT.....

Danny Briere....

Never have I had felt such a special feeling about a team...

words still can't describe the feeling in the arena that night

of series i've been alive,

1.) May Day

2.) Pominville

3.) Plante

4.) Woolley

5.) Hawerchuck (Sweeney??? - I don't think they ever figured it out), game 1 vs Boston in 93

5b.) Hanan vs NJ

Bob Sweeney scored the Boston goal. That was great, still remember Ric's call, "And Bob Sweeney returns to the garden to beat his old mates!!"

That was one of my favorites. Last night was maybe number one, but I'll put Hannan's above it. Mayday was almost more of a relief, how long had it been since we won a series??? The Plante goal ended the most boring 7 game series I ever watched.

I'd add Drury's game one goal to my list. Nothing special of a shot, but what a win!

Archived