Seth Appert to join Sabres Coaching Staff

Brawndo

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

More a function of UPL than the defense.  The Sabres allowed the 6th most high danger chances (791) and allowed 7th most high danger shots (505).  So while UPL was stopping the puck, the defense continually put him behind the 8 ball.  It’s why we were always playing from behind, it’s one of the key factors in why the Sabres gave up a league worst 97 1st period goals.

UPL was a key factor.  Now those high danger stats are a problem with the entire team defense, including forwards, and including the face-off performances in our zone.  

20 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

+1 on this take.  I’ll add, Dahlin and Samuelson regressed.  Individually as well as a pair.  Clifton played his offside for a good 2+ months before any changes were implemented.  And the recommendation to move back didn’t come from Wilford. Lastly, the payroll of the Blueline went up 78%.  Not just UFAs that were mid range signings replacing bottom feeders like Stillman and Clague, but new contracts for Dahls and Mule.  Expectations were higher. 

I don’t think Dahlin regressed defensively, but Samuelsson did. 

They added Byram, which will lead to another considerable jump in pay for the blue line.  

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

UPL was a key factor.  Now those high danger stats are a problem with the entire team defense, including forwards, and including the face-off performances in our zone.  

I don’t think Dahlin regressed defensively, but Samuelsson did. 

They added Byram, which will lead to another considerable jump in pay for the blue line.  

Dahlin is an all-star but was like -18 before the New Year and things began to click.  His lack of consistency (great one evening and lack luster the next) contributed to the slow start.  Lots of broken sticks over crossbars that I recall.  We can disagree on that. The larger point - do you think Wilford is developing the D properly? 

Byrum + Owen Powers new deal + Joki (if they retain his services) = a huge jump in payroll, and expectations.  The only blue line more expensive might be in Colorado, and doubtful they will be as good.  

Edited by Broken Ankles

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

13 years of abuse. You know I think the one that hurt the most (more than tanking) was how they folded up after that season starting, what was it 10? more? game win streak and it momentarily looked like we were on to something. Most other years we've just flirted with winning but that one felt real and I fell off that bandwagon hard. 

I feel your pain.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

. The larger point - do you think Wilford is developing the D properly? 

I think that’s an excellent question given how young the D corps is.

By the eye test, I’d say every one of Dahlin, Bryson, Jokiharju, and Power is a better player now than he was when Wilford started.

Samuelsson, probably not. Clifton and Power had rough starts then got better this year. I didn’t think Dahlin regressed; he produced less - how much of a factor were the forwards?

From last year to this:

• Dahlin dropped in points, but had career bests in goals, hits, shots, blocked shots, ES Corsi and giveaways per 60
  • Power improved his hits and blocked shots but gave the puck away more. His counting stats and his Corsi were similar.
  • Samuelsson’s stats were pretty similar to other years, except his ES Corsi, which was his career best
  • Jokiharju had his best career numbers pretty much across the board. The exception was ES Corsi, which dipped from 50 to 49.1. He went from -12 to +14
  • Bryson went from -24 to +5. His ES Corsi got significantly worse.
  • Clifton’s counting stats were down slightly, but pretty similar to his Boston #s. His ES Corsi improved very slightly

I don’t know how much credit or blame Wilford deserves.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This is strange. He was bottom rung with the US Dev Camp. He was TERRIBLE at RPI. Rochester has been meh. 

So it seems odd to phrase this as "why he chose...." He is underqualified for his last two roles now has the chance to stand behind an NHL bench. Of course he takes it. It isn't like he had to choose between being the assistant here or in Boston. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is strange. He was bottom rung with the US Dev Camp. He was TERRIBLE at RPI. Rochester has been meh. 

So it seems odd to phrase this as "why he chose...." He is underqualified for his last two roles now has the chance to stand behind an NHL bench. Of course he takes it. It isn't like he had to choose between being the assistant here or in Boston. 

I was thinking the same thing, lol.

Seth Appert said there were 4 reasons why he chose to join the Sabres' coaching staff:

1> They offered

2> They offered

3> They offered

4> Are you joking? I wasn't on any other team's radar. Also, they offered.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Right, the tweet could have literally read 

1) the cash 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

So matt ellis is going to work with the centers on faceoffs? Lol

this has to be some sick joke.

They couldn't get paul gaustad?

He has literally become the Matt Ellis of faceoffs.

• Haha (+1) 1