Adams & Granato to return?

inkman

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It doesn't say he won't be, just that he's not speaking.

I wonder how many people have been in meetings with the owner of the place the work.  I don’t need to hear this ancient out of touch yahoo tell me about new paradigms, shifting philosophies, a new sense of purpose or whatever corporate schtick they spew.  It means nothing.  Action, not words, are what is required. 

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I HOPE TO GOD I NEVER SEE THIS COACHING STAFF AGAIN. If Granato is back I’m not.

It’s time to get serious. 13 years is a complete disgrace. Granato back=14 years.

Michael Biehn Wtf GIF by GritTV

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The teams in Tampa, highly doubt that decision would get leaked now and that it's been made. Adams will do exit interviews first, although I could see assistants getting cut tomorrow. 

That's if they actually are proactive which i doubt. 

Unless they decide to Gallant Donny.

No feeling that Pegs is going to do anything but status quo. Not feeling that KA is going to make the changes needed to take this team forward. I would like to think that some of the assistant coaches will be gone, but unfortunately do not see that happening either. I have just totally lost faith in the management/leadership of this organization. Unless we get really lucky next year i see 14 years and counting. I am very much hoping that the Sabres prove me seriously wrong and they look committed to actually winning again. 

9 hours ago, Mr Peabody said:

If DG leaves it very well could  be a mutual agreement and he could stay in the organization.  To me he seemed stressed / tired as the season wore on.   Seems to love coaching and developing but may have hit a wall.  

I think a scenario that is somewhat likely is that Donny is kicked upstairs to an executive position... I dunno, make something up:  Special Assistant GM for Player Development or some such, where he works with coaches players in the NHL and AHL to ensure all prospects have a clear development plan to maximize assets.

Or some such.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I’m a little confused by this. They’d have won 2-3 more games? You realize three wins would have put them ahead going into the final game.

I think those that want change may be happy before Friday.

Is that all you want? Squeeking into the playoffs and getting blasted out in the first round in 4-5 games? Is that the level you want? I am honestly asking. 

52 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

You really think a healthy Quinn all year would only win us 2-3 more games?  I’m guessing he would’ve scored 30 plus this year (if he never got hurt and had to come back twice).  He changes the dynamic of the entire offense as the 2nd line winger and PP unit. 

Go look at the numbers, the Sabres were bad this year and Quinn isn't enough to change that. Demand more of this team, this is the bare minimum here. 

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

They weren't expected to make the playoffs these three years, they were doing a total rebuild. Some of you need to step back and rethink your comments. Unless of course you thought we would be in the playoffs the last three years while we were revamping the lineup and developing the youngest team in the league. Right.

Hey, if you want to come in here and spew the company line from the Sabres you are allowed to. But we ain't buying so go back to Adams and tell him that actions matter and he has barely acted at all as the season burned in flames and the problems were obvious for anyone with half a brain. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

57 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Yes they did, and I thought they would make it as well - it was a bit disappointing, but again - people need to look at the big picture. And my point stands, there were no expectations of a playoff run the previous three years.

Stop selling, we ain't buying this bs. 

will smith bullshit GIF

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So young players lack physical toughness?

Zach Benson would like a word.

No, they lack physical toughness because it is NOT part of their game. Most of our younguns are non physical players. Just like most of the Sabres. 

Totally agree with Benson, he is a chippy SOB to play against. He will get stronger, and be more of a skilled pest, and he can take a beating. We definitely need more like him with some size. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

No, they lack physical toughness because it is NOT part of their game. Most of our younguns are non physical players. Just like most of the Sabres. 

Totally agree with Benson, he is a chippy SOB to play against. He will get stronger, and be more of a skilled pest, and he can take a beating. We definitely need more like him with some size. 

If you don't count Benson, Quinn, Peterka, Dahlin then sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

Contracts are the key variable in these kinds of moves.  DG has 2 more years, but are the assistants even into next season?

If not, I could see DG sticking and they replace the departed coaches.  Wouldn't address the main issues seen this season, but that scenario playing out is not hard to envision.  

Still not even confident Adams has the authority to fire the HC because it'd cost ~4M for him not to be there. 

You both need to move on. Adams doesn't do things quickly. That's a statement of fact. 

@PromoTheRobot shows a pattern, he moves slowly as in the Eichel trade. Unsure why you're overreacting like this. 

This is hilarious to me btw. I suggest Adams won't make a snap call and fire his coaches who in Tampa tonight, I get two posters questioning my characterization of him. Weird. 

You are citing how long it took to move Jack Eichel, a player with a bum neck that needed a surgery few NHL players ever had, and who had $50MM remaining on his contract, as proof of his ineffectiveness as a GM. That is absolutely comical. Totally ignoring the level of difficulty of even obtaining a bag of pucks for Eichel in that state. (Which is what several posters were willing to take in trade.)

• Disagree 1
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You are citing how long it took to move Jack Eichel, a player with a bum neck that needed a surgery few NHL players ever had, and who had $50MM remaining on his contract, as proof of his ineffectiveness as a GM. That is absolutely comical. Totally ignoring the level of difficulty of even obtaining a bag of pucks for Eichel in that state. (Which is what several posters were willing to take in trade.)

No I am not. I used it to show that Adams does not rush things. He wouldn't be firing his coach while the guy was still in Tampa. You jumped into something and don't even follow the conversation. 

Don't lie about my original point. 

Edited by LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is that all you want? Squeeking into the playoffs and getting blasted out in the first round in 4-5 games? Is that the level you want? I am honestly asking. 

I dunno, I could see the Sabres upsetting the Rangers in the first round.  During the season the Sabres were 1-1-1 against the Rags.  They could have been this year's Panthers.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Please be true please be true please be true please be true please be true Please be true please be true please be true

Don’t you want to know what they are first?  

The teams in Tampa, highly doubt that decision would get leaked now and that it's been made. Adams will do exit interviews first, although I could see assistants getting cut tomorrow. 

That's if they actually are proactive which i doubt. 

10 hours ago, SDS said:

Fires Ralph. Trades Eichel. Trades Sam. Trades Risto. Hires top-notch analytics team (presumably). Trades for Byrum. Trades Casey.

I understand that fans don't think he has done enough, but he has done big things. 

Which one of those moves was proactive or aggressive? Eichel took months on months to trade. So did Mittelstadt. Ralph took a 12 game losing streak. 

Adams is slow to move, doesn't mean he doesn't move. 

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Really??? That's your criticism?

@SDS @PromoTheRobot You both failed to understand the orginal point and because this is hells message board with some of the most abused hostages in sports, we got to where we are now. Adams wasn't going to fire Granato last night while the team was in Tampa. Jack Eichel was cited as evidence that Adams tends to take his time with things and do them in a deliberate fashion. But ***** me right? Why understand or even bother to take the time to understand that when you can just ***** all over another post. Promo in particular I am talking to you. I mentioned Eichel because Adams didn't shoot from the hip and trade him to whoever to get him gone. He went through his process and then waited until he got what he wanted. Adams isn't going to fire Granato while he is in Tampa. He is going to do exit interviews, talk to the players and coaches, then make his decision was my point you. But hey, this board has lacked quality and reading comprehension for a long while now. @PASabreFan was right, the quality around here has gone down.  

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No I am not. I used it to show that Adams does not rush things. He wouldn't be firing his coach while the guy was still in Tampa. You jumped into something and don't even follow the conversation. 

Don't lie about my original point. 

I tend to scan posts so I'm prone to doing that. Sorry. 

The Sabres have had 7 coaches in this 13 year drought. The urge to get #8 is strong amongst fans, but it isn't going to happen.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres have had 7 coaches in this 13 year drought. The urge to get #8 is strong amongst fans, but it isn't going to happen.

never said it was, literally said adams won't fire granato in tampa and I doubt they fire the assistants right away because if they had been proactive they would have fired assistants in season. Granato needs to go and the team needs changes. I doubt we see many. 

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think a scenario that is somewhat likely is that Donny is kicked upstairs to an executive position... I dunno, make something up:  Special Assistant GM for Player Development or some such, where he works with coaches players in the NHL and AHL to ensure all prospects have a clear development plan to maximize assets.

Or some such.

Nope.  Donny has to go.  He might be great in a director of player development role but he will be looked at as the head coach that got fired.  That creates a tension and factions. 

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I dunno, I could see the Sabres upsetting the Rangers in the first round.  During the season the Sabres were 1-1-1 against the Rags.  They could have been this year's Panthers.

Maybe not the Rangers but what about the Lightning in a best-of-7 series? Sabres are 5-1 in their last 6 against them 

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I believe that Terry is trying to change his image as impatient.  That, plus the new contract most likely means Donny will stay.  

I agree with @LGR4GM in that Adams thinks long and hard before making a move.  You don’t fire a coach without knowing you have a good pool of candidates.  Has Adams been building a list and making contacts?  I doubt it.    Who is willing to come to Buffalo applies to coaches too. 

Most likely scenario is DG gets another year.  If he fails he gets fired during the season, and we finish with Ellis/Appert to get to 14.   After that a real coaching search.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I believe that Terry is trying to change his image as impatient.  That, plus the new contract most likely means Donny will stay.  

I agree with @LGR4GM in that Adams thinks long and hard before making a move.  You don’t fire a coach without knowing you have a good pool of candidates.  Has Adams been building a list and making contacts?  I doubt it.    Who is willing to come to Buffalo applies to coaches too. 

Most likely scenario is DG gets fired mid season, and we get Ellis/Appert to finish with 14.   After that a real coaching search.  

There are at least half a dozen "names" that would take the job for a sizable contact, knowing they can retire comfortably after a season and a half. Bruce Boudreau is one.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you don't count Benson, Quinn, Peterka, Dahlin then sure. 

Quinn and Peterka are NOT physical players. Peterka avoids contact like the plague and does not have the size nor strength yet to fight against the wall (Will come in time me thinks). They are great players, but we need more physicality.