WGR 550 Reporting Jack Quinn Rejoining Team Today

LETSTUCHINGO

39 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

They are paying Cozens to be 2C.   Right or wrong, they won't be moving him down the lineup 

Then I guess we should all be prepared to miss the playoffs again next year because our center lineup is not going to cut it. Since they won't be able to get a #1 center, the best they can do is unload a nice haul for a very good #2 center who is proven. Tage, #2 and then Cozens. That is the kind of mover they have to make if they ever want to fill that stadium again. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

*not a medical doctor, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night*
I am not sure that is how broken bones work. (if that even was what this was - I think some medical professionals here on the board have speculated as much)

3 hours ago, SDS said:

I have absolutely no knowledge of the details surrounding Jack Quinn‘s medical condition, but I would like to take time out of my day to tell you why the Sabres are mishandling him…

56 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t need any knowledge surrounding Quinn’s injury to understand that him playing in meaningless games immediately after two consecutive leg issues might not be warranted.  

I’m sure they are just looking out for their fans here, giving them some juice for the final twirl around the toilet bowl.  

I guess if he’s good to go, let’s throw him out there so fans can cling to what might be, until it isn’t…

Also not a doctor....

But we see in all sorts of sports, hockey included, that guys generally take a bunch of limited or partial practices after long term injuries before being a 100% participant and even then it isn't uncommon to limit TOI. 

Maybe it is fine. But as a fan, compared to what we have seen in the past, it certainly feels like a bit of risk for no tangible reward for the player or the team.

My tinfoil hat says that the org is starting to hear more noise from the remaining Sabres fans and are anxious to save themselves the headache by getting as close to last years 91 points as possible so that Adams stand at the mic and say "we were basically the same as last year, 2 points away from 91 is one game going the other way. I would say we learned and grew more this year than any other"

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SDS said:

“I don’t need information to make a decision” doesn’t sound all that compelling to be honest.

I don’t need the information you require.  What’s the benefit of having him play these games? For the fans?  A league and an organization that does everything it can to alienate fans and treat them with complete indifference.  Or is it a NHLPA thing?  He’s healthy so he has to play?  

Frankly, I’m just bitter about the team.  The story could have been Jack Quinn saved a 1000 puppies from certain death and I’d probably still have a problem with it.  There is no point to the remainder of the season.  I just want it to end.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Greenway Thompson. Tuch

JJP Cozens.  Quinn

the top 6 at today practice 

are you happy if this is the top 6 going into next year ?

would be cool to get a LW to drop Greenway to the 3rd line BUT then you have an issue with what to do with Skinner.   Yes, I understand his metrics are good 5v5    I just don't think you should have a one dimensional player on your top line, especially when you have the youngest team in league.  Your vets need to set a standard

i would probably want them to switch Benson to 1st line and Greenway to 3rd 

skinner Krebs greenway as your 3rd line isn't terrible I don't think

Larry David Reaction GIF

- - - 

And yes of course Quinn is playing if he can. That’s what I said before: he’s a paid professional. You don’t sit “just because” IF you are fully healthy 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Also not a doctor....

But we see in all sorts of sports, hockey included, that guys generally take a bunch of limited or partial practices after long term injuries before being a 100% participant and even then it isn't uncommon to limit TOI. 

Maybe it is fine. But as a fan, compared to what we have seen in the past, it certainly feels like a bit of risk for no tangible reward for the player or the team.

My tinfoil hat says that the org is starting to hear more noise from the remaining Sabres fans and are anxious to save themselves the headache by getting as close to last years 91 points as possible so that Adams stand at the mic and say "we were basically the same as last year, 2 points away from 91 is one game going the other way. I would say we learned and grew more this year than any other"

As one non-doctor to another - I guess we need to seek out a third non-professional opinion!

If they wait to bring Quinn back until they have a legit shot at the playoffs, he might need to retire now 🤣

Maybe I am being selfish, but I want to see the best quality Sabres games possible for the rest of the season. I paid for the VPN that I use to watch the games in relative anonymity and the team owes me! If he looks like a shell of himself, then I would support pulling back - but if he looks like he looked right before unfortunate bad luck injury #2, let the kid play.

And frankly, the tiny part of my brain that just wants everyone to think I am cool died a little when @inkman gave you the Stanley Cup "Awesome" award 😞

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Honestly there IS no pressure because we’re basically just playing out the stretch 

I want so desperately to disagree ... but barring the miracle of miracles (and maybe an entire team quitting?), we are - as you say - "playing out the stretch"

Just now, ska-T Chitown said:

I want so desperately to disagree ... but barring the miracle of miracles (and maybe an entire team quitting?), we are - as you say - "playing out the stretch"

A single regulation loss does us in, so..I just can’t see it 

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Then I guess we should all be prepared to miss the playoffs again next year because our center lineup is not going to cut it. Since they won't be able to get a #1 center, the best they can do is unload a nice haul for a very good #2 center who is proven. Tage, #2 and then Cozens. That is the kind of mover they have to make if they ever want to fill that stadium again. 

You may remember they tried that not too long ago when the tanked for Eichel / McDavid 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I doubt they are letting salary dictate where Cozens plays. Right or wrong, good or bad, he’s one of our two best centers currently and the construction of the current team is dictating where he plays. 

You remember when the traded Mitts cause they already had their top 2 centers paid? They aren't getting another Center who would slot above Tage and Cozens 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Granato really stuck on that Peterka-Cozens-Quinn idea isn't he. 

Peterka was looking good with Thompson and Tuch and Greenway paired with Cozens was a solid 2 way combo but whatever, they are stuck on their vision of the future. have at it. 

Well, hopefully it works out anyway. I agree JJP looked good with TNT, though 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

You may remember they tried that not too long ago when the tanked for Eichel / McDavid 

You remember when the traded Mitts cause they already had their top 2 centers paid? They aren't getting another Center who would slot above Tage and Cozens 

Cozens can always move to Wing 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I understand your point.

4 hours ago, Mango said:

My tinfoil hat says that the org is starting to hear more noise from the remaining Sabres fans

“if they don’t activate Jack Quinn for the last ten games I am so done with this team!”

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

My unpopular opinion is to get a true 1C and move JJP and Quinn up and keep something like Benson/Greenway - Thompson - Tuch as our second line and let Cozens compete for the wing in the top 6. 

I also understand real 1C don't grow on trees and the Sabres won't/can't sign one. 

Tage is our 1C.  He is paid like a  1C, and he gets 1C minutes.  He is having an injury riddled off year.  Even Gil Perreault had a few.   

I disagree with the Tage is not a 1C talk.  What we need is a center good enough to be 2 or 3, another one for 3or 4.  But that would block Krebs so we won’t make those moves.   We have a pipeline filled with centers but most likely non are ready by next season.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

I have no problem him playing, if you’re going to break him again, might as well be before the season ends 

And then he quickly got hurt. 

Think About It GIF by Identity

Which had zero to do with him coming back.  It was just dumb luck he got it again

38 minutes ago, bg17 said:

“if they don’t activate Jack Quinn for the last ten games I am so done with this team!”

Hahaha.

I was more talking about this seasons failures vs expectations. They can’t fall too far behind the 91 point mark of the leash gets very very short for this regime. 

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Tage is our 1C.  He is paid like a  1C, and he gets 1C minutes.  He is having an injury riddled off year.  Even Gil Perreault had a few.   

I disagree with the Tage is not a 1C talk.  What we need is a center good enough to be 2 or 3, another one for 3or 4.  But that would block Krebs so we won’t make those moves.   We have a pipeline filled with centers but most likely non are ready by next season.  

I think the talk is Savoie and Kulich project to the wing.

Tages cap hit of $7.14M this year is 35th among all centers across the league. He is not paid like a 1C. 

5 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Like when they got Hawerchuk to take the D off Alex and Patty. 

44 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the talk is Savoie and Kulich project to the wing.

Tages cap hit of $7.14M this year is 35th among all centers across the league. He is not paid like a 1C. 

He is on this team.  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I know at the end of last season there was a lot of talk on this board about Tage as a top 10 center, or at least -- where does he fit in the top centers in the NHL?

Sadly, I just don't see it. A true 1C is capable of going out against every other team's top line and their top defensive pairing (and alternately, their best checking line) in all 3 zones for a 7-game series and being even or better in those matchups. I don't care about salary, term, or age. To me, it's "who can win a 7-game series that starts tonight?".

He's... maybe in the 15-20 range? His game is blistering powerplay goals from the circle and 5-on-5 scoring on rushes. But the jam, the undeniable overwhelming force being imposed on the opposition, any defensive prowess, the after-the-whistle unfazed bravado, even the ability to win a faceoff... those aren't TNT. There are a host of centers I'd take before him.

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He is on this team.  

Take It Back Fran Healy GIF by Travis

You said “paid like a 1C”. The “on this team must have been silent” I guess. $7M is dirt cheap for a 1C right now, decent for a 2C, and an overpay for a 3C across the league. But you likely already know that. 

Worth noting that until a few weeks ago there was another center on this team that was getting more TOI than Tage Thomson.