GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Montreal Canadiens Weds 7pm, ESPN+ MSG & WGR radio

Shoot da Puck

A few thoughts and observations:

- I know Skinner and Tuch scored, but that line looks horrible and disorientated on 5v5

- This team needs some serious sandpaper. 1 forward and 1 dman. We were getting physically dominated and that was embarrassing

- 3rd period was weird. We did not get a shot on goal until maybe 7 or 8 minutes left in the period and the Habs had the puck, but there was not many Hab serious scoring chances with the exception of the accidental redirect by our own player that 6K made that beautiful save. Once we got our shot on goal, we wasted a lot of time in the Habs offensive end and it was nice. 

- Love to see the wheels that the kids seem to show at short burst, but this team seems overall slower than last year. 

- PK looks good and focussed and PP is still a hot mess. I know Skinner scored but when the other team stacks the line, the Sabres are seriously lost. Thompson is going to get his PP goals but the whole PP needs a serious revamp!

- 6K is finally emerging!!! Happy for him. Thought he was done after the double surgery.

It is fun to watch the games now that we are out of the playoff race and just watch with zero expectation. Maybe one year....LOL

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

- I know Skinner and Tuch scored, but that line looks horrible and disorientated on 5v5

- This team needs some serious sandpaper. 1 forward and 1 dman. We were getting physically dominated and that was embarrassing

- 3rd period was weird. We did not get a shot on goal until maybe 7 or 8 minutes left in the period and the Habs had the puck, but there was not many Hab serious scoring chances with the exception of the accidental redirect by our own player that 6K made that beautiful save. Once we got our shot on goal, we wasted a lot of time in the Habs offensive end and it was nice. 

- Love to see the wheels that the kids seem to show at short burst, but this team seems overall slower than last year. 

- PK looks good and focussed and PP is still a hot mess. I know Skinner scored but when the other team stacks the line, the Sabres are seriously lost. Thompson is going to get his PP goals but the whole PP needs a serious revamp!

- 6K is finally emerging!!! Happy for him. Thought he was done after the double surgery.

It is fun to watch the games now that we are out of the playoff race and just watch with zero expectation. Maybe one year....LOL

I thought the Tage line was good.  Fancy stats seem to confirm.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Slack_in_MA said:

If he played to his size, he’d be a monster. He reminds me of Big Mike in the Blind Side. I can picture him reading Ferdinand the Bull.

I have a different view on Greenway. In my view, he does play to his size. He usually isn't a banger but when he chooses to do so he can squash opponents into the boards. But that's not his game. He's a farmer strong guy who is difficult to move, and he is one of the few players on this team who will anchor himself in front of the net. Ironically, the smallish Benson, along with Greenway, gives us our best net presence on offense. If Greenway had Tuch's speed he would be a top two line talent. To his credit, although he doesn't possess that kind of speed, he is still able to play with his limitation because he is a positionally sound player, as @Doohickiehas keenly noted. Greenway was a good pickup and a great bargain pickup. Little flash to his game but a lot of strength/toughness to his game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Sabres are a lot more relaxed on the road. It’s really toxic in our arena. 4 years is no accident. 

They should put a giant lava lamp on the scoreboard and serve edibles pregame.  To the players and the fans.  Concessions would skyrocket.  Nachos in particular. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Sabres are a lot more relaxed on the road. It’s really toxic in our arena. 4 years is no accident. 

Hmm… KA ought to suggest Pegula hire an exorcist… Cast the demons out of the place… Invite the Bishop the next day to do a holy water blessing 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Believer said:

Hmm… KA ought to suggest Pegula hire an exorcist… Cast the demons out of the place… Invite the Bishop the next day to do a holy water blessing 🤔

It would be kind of funny. No way the TP run Sabres do anything that kooky. Paul Wieland would like it tho.

Anybody remember when the Sabres put a lucky coin under the ice to start a season? I couldn't get within a 10 year time span of when it happened. Brain shrinkage is real.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

It would be kind of funny. No way the TP run Sabres do anything that kooky. Paul Wieland would like it tho.

Anybody remember when the Sabres put a lucky coin under the ice to start a season? I couldn't get within a 10 year time span of when it happened. Brain shrinkage is real.

I remember that as well, and also do not remember what era it is from. The closest I can come is, I think it was at the Aud.

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

According to this it is not uncommon for the people preparing the ice to (temporarily) mark face-off dots with coins, so it could be any time period, really. This guy has a story about the lucky looney

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

I remember that as well, and also do not remember what era it is from. The closest I can come is, I think it was at the Aud.

Def. Crossroads. If I had to guess 06-07.

Anywho I still say Lorenzo has to come back and release a rehabbed bat over at the rink where the Aud stood. The curse began the moment he slayed that rascal.

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Def. Crossroads. If I had to guess 06-07.

Anywho I still say Lorenzo has to come back and release a rehabbed bat over at the rink where the Aud stood. The curse began the moment he slayed that rascal.

Believe it or not it was May 20, 1975, game 3 of the Finals against Philly. 

It was also the legendary Fog Game. Air conditioning at The Aud was so bad that even in those pre-climate change days it was no match for a deep run in the playoffs. Lorenz picked that creatures out of the misty air so cat-quick, he looked like the hero in a horror flick.

A high point in Sabres history. and such a captivating moment that I'm surprised it was never incorporated into one of the many Batman movies (Christian Bale wielding an old wooden Sherwood vs. a bat and a villain in Jason mask = Box Office Gold!)

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/07/sports/hockey/the-sabres-and-flyers-played-a-low-visibility-game-in-1975.html

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, davidkski said:

It was also the legendary Fog Game. Air conditioning at The Aud was so bad that even in those pre-climate change days it was no match for a deep run in the playoffs. Jim Lorentz was so nonchalant and cat-quick as he picked that creature out of the air that he  looked like the hero in a horror flick.

A high point in Sabres history. And such a captivating moment that I'm surprised it was never incorporated into one of the many Batman movies.(Christian Bale wielding an old wooden Sherwood vs. a bat and a villain in Jason mask = Box Office Gold!)

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/07/sports/hockey/the-sabres-and-flyers-played-a-low-visibility-game-in-1975.html

Edited by davidkski
Add video link
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

good observations - while the fancy stats show the first line played well - they did look out of sync. It does not seem like there is any rhyme or reason to what they are doing out there ( I feel that way about all the lines for what it is worth). The structure is noticeably bad.

So, yes, the fancy stats say you are wrong - but you are right. Their talent bails them out sometimes - but not always...

1 hour ago, davidkski said:

It was also the legendary Fog Game. Air conditioning at The Aud was so bad that even in those pre-climate change days it was no match for a deep run in the playoffs. Lorenz picked that creatures out of the misty air so cat-quick, he looked like the hero in a horror flick.

A high point in Sabres history. and such a captivating moment that I'm surprised it was never incorporated into one of the many Batman movies (Christian Bale wielding an old wooden Sherwood vs. a bat and a villain in Jason mask = Box Office Gold!)

Good stuff. But I was trying to remember when the Sabres gathered on the ice and buried a coin (I think) in the ice before the season started.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.