Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

On 4/22/2024 at 8:14 AM, inkman said:

Prepping the fanbase for trading out of the first round.  Dammit Beane, I took Friday off for this *****!  

You're going to be disappointed anyway when you find out the draft starts on Thursday.

6 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

You're going to be disappointed anyway when you find out the draft starts on Thursday.

Right. Hammered Thursday night, sleep in Friday.  When you have to get up at 5am for work, you have to plan. 

IIt’s never about the day of, only the dreadful consequences on the day after.  

The draft starts at what 8pm. Unless I start pregaming in the afternoon, I don’t see what work on Thursday has to do with anything.  

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sal mocked the itty bitty burner from Texas to the Bills. Worthy. 165 lbs.

No thanks.

Everybody wants the next Tyreek Hill. They’re more apt to get the next Tavon Austin.

It all reminds me of John Ross 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sal mocked the itty bitty burner from Texas to the Bills. Worthy. 165 lbs.

No thanks.

Everybody wants the next Tyreek Hill. They’re more apt to get the next Tavon Austin.

39% of Worthy's catches came behind the line of scrimmage. 32% targets were 20yrds downfield or more. 

21% of his targets were screens. If you remove screens, his routes only have a 51% success rate. 

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Can’t tell if @LGR4GM is yacking at my take or Sal’s.

Sal's

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3

Reporters asked Beane about pick #28.  Beane answered he doesn't have 28 players with a 1st round grade. 

So a trade up or down seems likely. I pay little attention to the speculation in regards to actual player names. Only he knows what he wants. The "media" is clueless. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Reporters asked Beane about pick #28.  Beane answered he doesn't have 28 players with a 1st round grade. 

So a trade up or down seems likely. 

I keep coming back to that reasoning.

OTOH, if the Bills have 1st round grades on, say, 23 players, there's a good chance that several would still be there at 28. Question being, though, at what positions. If there's no WR or DL available at 28 whom they gave a 1st round grade, then a trade-back would be desirable (question being: available?).

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

You guys will be getting rome or brian thomas jr 

Imo

Odunze (sp?) would take a Julio Jones type trade. I'd be excited, sure, but also pretty nervous. The guy would HAVE to hit and hit pretty big to make it worthwhile.

If I had to wager on anyone from the field, I think I'd bet "BTJ." Moving up that far shouldn't cost next year's first. 

6 minutes ago, Night Train said:

The trade up for Watkins shows what a bad idea it is to give up a couple drafts for 1 player. Only do that when you need a QB. 

That's the commonly received wisdom, for sure. WGR had an interesting conversation on this topic the other day. Could that thinking be shifting to allow for a big WR splash if your team already has its franchise QB? This is what the Falcons did to get Julio (and, I presume, already had Matt Ryan).

• Like (+1) 1

#1 WR’s are getting so expensive.  St Brown just got $30 a year?  That’s insane!  And Jefferson will go even higher.  
They talk about how advantageous it is to have a QB on a rookie contract.  It’s starting to get that way with stud WR’s.  
I’m starting to wonder though if the Chiefs set up the blueprint for us.  When you have a QB who can be great even without that stud WR then you win with a committee of WR’s (and a stud TE).  

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone remember the first couple times ESPN covered the draft ? Probably around 1980, when I was finishing college.  George Grande was the host with Howard Balzer of USA Today and Paul Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated giving their thoughts. 

A couple years later, they brought on a young guy who had volumes of scouting reports, Mel Kiper. I bought his draft guide early on, which was top shelf in presentation. He answered the phone himself in his kitchen and took your order. I asked him about some player and and gave me a rundown with time being of no concern. Met him at an Orioles game in the late 1980's when I was stationed in Maryland while in the Navy. Came across as a very nice person. Right or wrong, his ability to generate interest and talk concerning the draft literally invented an industry. His pre-draft shows on ESPN this year with Field Yates were outstanding with tons of highlights to go with projections. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Night Train said:

A couple years later, they brought on a young guy who had volumes of scouting reports, Mel Kiper. I bought his draft guide early on, which was top shelf in presentation. He answered the phone himself in his kitchen and took your order. I asked him about some player and and gave me a rundown with time being of no concern.

What a great post. This bit especially is just gold. I appreciate this perspective on Kiper: Dude is largely responsible for a huge NFL-centered industry. Of course, what he's doing is trying to read tea leaves. But he does it in such an intense and engaging way, that I still enjoy watching and listening.

Also: I heard on a podcast this week - from someone who works with Kiper (Daniel Jeremiah possibly) - that Kiper has no cell phone and has as many as 5 separate landlines in his home. There was some confusing talk about how you can send a text to Kiper -- I didn't quite understand or catch what was said. My sense is that he has computers/laptops (tablets?) and does some sort of IM's through a service or application.

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Brugler of the Athletic has the Bills trading up to 17 and taking Brian Thomas Jr. 

That was/is his final Mock before tonight. 

That would be a very tidy outcome.

• Like (+1) 1

Kiper's wife of 35 years runs his business. He recently joked in an interview that he has zero idea where the $ is. She has it all. 

He built a small studio in his basement which he does all his shows from. Lives North of Baltimore. Yes, he has no cellphone and has multiple land lines with old answering machines. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

I love that story from a few years ago about how Kiper has DVDs of the Carson era Tonight Show and he watches them Monday-Friday at 11:30 each night. 

I need a multi-episode, well-produced "BTS" of this guy's life.

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I need a multi-episode, well-produced "BTS" of this guy's life.

I get the feeling that it would put you to sleep. And that’s not to mock the guy, I’d take that life any day.