GDT - 2/10/24 St Louis @ Buffalo - 1pm ABC / ESPN+

inkman

Just now, Thorny said:

I think a lot of people, including Kevyn this past summer, overestimate our actual roster 

Players being indecisive when faced with a responsible challenge from an opposing player is reflective of talent. It’s reflective of hockey sense 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We've all seen this same team play their ***** off. What changed?

I generally think what seemingly manifests visually as “lack of effort” is a result of being acted upon by another team 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Thorny said:

I generally think what seemingly manifests visually as “lack of effort” is a result of being acted upon by another team 

Sometimes… Sometimes it is simply lack of compete.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s weird we keep wearing the black/red against other black/red teams. It actually drives me crazy when it happens vs Carolina, Ottawa, etc.

Should have worn the goat heads today vs STL and the home sweaters vs. Dallas.

It is either complain about this or complain about our PP or inability to crash the net today. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So it's like that new QB in the NFL that's hot for a few weeks until they figure out your game. Then poof, back into a frog.

Considering how particularly strong our performance was last year in the portion of the season coming AFTER teams might have already concluded us to be a mediocre team (it was in March after falling well out of the race), I think what you propose is very possible.

I think these guys can be what we saw but it’s a chess game and it’s a dance: other teams took action against us and we didn’t do anything this offseason. We had no counter for what was always coming

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Compete isn’t even a real noun I doubt it’s a real answer to our problems 

Compete is a verb… meaning to strive against another or others to attain a goal, such as an advantage or victory…

We too often lack it… 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Not that a 'loser point' even matters at this point since this team is so far out of it but the fact that they rarely even get a game to OT, especially on home ice, is completely embarrassing. And yet, they don't feel the need to change a thing either via trade or coaching/front office.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So it's like that new QB in the NFL that's hot for a few weeks until they figure out your game. Then poof, back into a frog.

I also think the Sabres were written off last year and faced a lot of back up goaltenders. They surprised a few teams taking the night off. 

There was some league wide hype around Buffalo this year and they got a few teams best shots early because of it. 

• Agree 1

Anybody know the all-time record for number of seasons a professional sports franchise has missed the playoffs?  Not talking about currently (ex. Jets, Sabres, etc.), but have there been other sports teams that have failed to reach the playoffs 15 or 20 years?  Maybe the Detroit Lions (before this season)?

12 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It's so bad that the Sabres are on a nationally televised game and not even in the 'In The Hunt' playoff graphic.

I can’t think of the last national tv game won.  Last year they won a bunch.   

I feel bad for the fans there and the kids.  You just want the Sabres to put on a show and win these home games.  

I feel fortunate that growing up in the 70’s, we had an exciting and excellent team.  Competitive and scrappy from the very start.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.