Sabres only win because of the refs!

Spandrel

This is the sentiment I keep seeing over and over again, whenever I visit our opponents' forums. You'd think that there is a league-wide conspiracy to make sure the Sabres keep winning by having the refs skrew our opponents. Every game we've won was only done because the other team wasn't getting calls. These people always conveniently ignore the calls that benefit THEM, of course.

It'll be a cold day in hell when any organized pro league is trying to bring a championship to Buffalo. Even The Smoking Man doesn't want to see it happen. That's cold.

I think the reffing in this series has been decidedly in favor of Ottawa. That's why it's disappointing to hear Ottawa fans whining about the refs. They even got a gift 5 on 3 and MSG couldn't even find the penalty on Hecht to give us a replay?!? That was brutal since the Sens had no chance to score without that 5 on 3 to open things up.

Anyway, i think the losing team in all playoff series complain about the refs. I bet New Jersey fans are complaining and I know Calgary fans were going nuts in the Anaheim series when they lost.

Flyers fans are the worst though. Even my good friend who loves Philly could not admit that the Sabres were the better team. He kept saying the refs were out to screw Philly and many FLyers fans agreed with him until game 6 happened then they had no complaints since we destroyed them.

A 5 on 3 powerplay in the third period of a 1-0 playoff game. Um yeah, we really have the refs in our back pocket.

The linesmen, too. We've all seen refs blow games before, but I've never seen such bad work by linesmen as I did last night.

Flyers fans are the worst though. Even my good friend who loves Philly could not admit that the Sabres were the better team. He kept saying the refs were out to screw Philly and many FLyers fans agreed with him until game 6 happened then they had no complaints since we destroyed them.

I think that is exactly it. Few fans want to admit that this Sabres team is better or at least playing better, so they have to find something else to attribute their success. The Sabres are just out-working other teams and doing a better job of taking advantage of opportunities. They are so mentally tough and focused right now, that they are not getting rattled or losing control when most other teams would.

Even if we win the cup, the sentiment will always be that all of our opponents "underachieved" or that Buffalo got some special breaks. As a resident of Western New York, you never expect to get respect, I guess.

I think the reffing in this series has been decidedly in favor of Ottawa. That's why it's disappointing to hear Ottawa fans whining about the refs. They even got a gift 5 on 3 and MSG couldn't even find the penalty on Hecht to give us a replay?!?

Definitely a hook by Hecht. He had to do it, because Spezza worked his way into the slot, with the puck, in a shooting position.

This is probably the best place to ask. Did they ever explain why the Dumont goal was reviewed last night? I'm not going to join in on all this complaining about the refs, but I'm surprised that no one has suggested that this was one last effort by the refs to screw over the Sabres. :rolleyes:

The linesmen, too. We've all seen refs blow games before, but I've never seen such bad work by linesmen as I did last night.

Agreed. The linesmen have been pretty bad these whole playoffs. I'm a USA Hockey Referee, and linesman is my favorite, so I always notice an incorrect call.

I was displeased with a lot of the icing wave offs last night.

Agreed. The linesmen have been pretty bad these whole playoffs. I'm a USA Hockey Referee, and linesman is my favorite, so I always notice an incorrect call.

I was displeased with a lot of the icing wave offs last night.

Have you also noticed that the linesmen are also trying to throw out at least one guy every time they drop the puck on face-offs? Just drop the damn puck. What ever happened to the 'quick faceoff' idea?

This is probably the best place to ask. Did they ever explain why the Dumont goal was reviewed last night? I'm not going to join in on all this complaining about the refs, but I'm surprised that no one has suggested that this was one last effort by the refs to screw over the Sabres. :rolleyes:

Posted this in another thread, sorry for repeating myself.

They were reviewing the goal to make sure Gaustad didn't touch the puck with a high stick. He didn't and the goal was good.

I am GLAD that they reviewed the goal. They should review every goal / potential goal (and the league CLAIMS that they do). Had they bothered to do that back in '99, MAYBE Buffalo is trying to win its 2nd SC in this post-season instead of still searching for its 1st.

Have you also noticed that the linesmen are also trying to throw out at least one guy every time they drop the puck on face-offs? Just drop the damn puck. What ever happened to the 'quick faceoff' idea?

Aw c'mon, it's much more fun when he fakes at least 3-4 drops, right? WRONG!

Drop the damn puck, and then try to stay the hell out of the way. Thank you!

There was a fair amount of speculation on the faceoffs last night on WGR's postgame show as well. The prevailing concensus seemed to be that the Sabres were going into the faceoffs trying to do something slightly illegal - especially Briere, simply not worrying if they got tossed.

Part of me wonders if this was a way for Buffalo to continue to slow the pace of the game down, and I also wonder if perhaps Briere isn't 100%, and it's affecting his draws. This is total speculation on my part...I know that it was reported that Danny just had a cold apparently. Just wondering...

Posted this in another thread, sorry for repeating myself.

They were reviewing the goal to make sure Gaustad didn't touch the puck with a high stick. He didn't and the goal was good.

I am GLAD that they reviewed the goal. They should review every goal / potential goal (and the league CLAIMS that they do). Had they bothered to do that back in '99, MAYBE Buffalo is trying to win its 2nd SC in this post-season instead of still searching for its 1st.

Lindy said last night in the post-game, "They review everything." Pause. "Since '99, at least."

This is the sentiment I keep seeing over and over again, whenever I visit our opponents' forums. You'd think that there is a league-wide conspiracy to make sure the Sabres keep winning by having the refs skrew our opponents. Every game we've won was only done because the other team wasn't getting calls. These people always conveniently ignore the calls that benefit THEM, of course.

Just monday night there was a post on YOUR FORUM complain' about the reffing - Everybody complains.

BRH, you bet me to the punch. I wanted to mention Lindy's comment as well. I laughed out loud. He smirked as he said it and then quickly added he was just kidding. A couple of months ago I saw a canadian channel, probably CBC, talk about how the league was bitter with Lindy for pointing out the folly in that 99 incident, and for continuing to complain about it.

He didn't want to risk pissing them off again, but how do you resist. That was the line of the season as far as I'm concerned. Watch the news conference if you get a chance for those of you who missed it last night!!

Just monday night there was a post on YOUR FORUM complain' about the reffing - Everybody complains.

I think Spandrel was going for the irony angle on this one.

While I don't believe "The Smoking Man" actually controls any pro sports leagues, there have been some world class reffing gaffes that have consistently gone against the hometown boys in at least 4 different sports.

Couple that with Sabres fans perceiving the world outside WNY gives the Sabres no respect and it becomes interesting to Sabres fans to hear other fans "complain" about refs.

Aw c'mon, it's much more fun when he fakes at least 3-4 drops, right? WRONG!

Drop the damn puck, and then try to stay the hell out of the way. Thank you!

Agreed, and they really have been getting in the way a lot, too. Like stopping dump-in's at the Sen's blue line (proper position would be INSIDE the blue line when the puck is in the neutral zone).

Agreed, and they really have been getting in the way a lot, too. Like stopping dump-in's at the Sen's blue line (proper position would be INSIDE the blue line when the puck is in the neutral zone).

Yeah that is really starting to get on my nerves, and it never seems to benefit the Sabres. PICK UP YOUR FEET, GET OUT OF THE WAY! I don't remember this happening with such frequency before these playoffs. Its just flukey, but still.

Archived