Jiri Novotny

Goodfella25

Just thought I would point out Novotny's solid all-around performance tonight. He showed great poise in his first playoff game, throwing hits, making smart plays, and showing he is defensively sound. He was on the ice in crucial situations....that shows me that Lindy has tons of confidence in his abilities. So, Thomas Vanek, watch a tape of the game tonight and watch Novotny, maybe you'll learn what it's like to play a solid all-around game with responsible defensive play

Novotny played awesome. Which makes me sad cuz who sits when Connolly comes back? I don't think anyone out there really deserves to. So it will probably be Novotny, but at the very least he made a statement about Training Camp next year.

Novotny played awesome. Which makes me sad cuz who sits when Connolly comes back? I don't think anyone out there really deserves to. So it will probably be Novotny, but at the very least he made a statement about Training Camp next year.

The thing that amazes me is the depth this team has at forward....MacArthur, Novotny, Paille, Thorburn are all guys that could already come in and make an impact. It's crazy.

Do you think Connolly will be back? Sadly, I don't.

Ruff is such a great coach. Not only does Ruff say he has confidence in a player, he has no problems showing it. Novotny played great last night. So did Fitzpatrick. And Gaustad and Pyatt were on the ice for the OT winner. Ruff shows his confidence by giving them ice time in any situation.

Murray on the other hand, needs to see the name on the jersey before making a decision. Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson have played gutlessly all series.

Ruff is such a great coach. Not only does Ruff say he has confidence in a player, he has no problems showing it. Novotny played great last night. So did Fitzpatrick. And Gaustad and Pyatt were on the ice for the OT winner. Ruff shows his confidence by giving them ice time in any situation.

Murray on the other hand, needs to see the name on the jersey before making a decision. Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson have played gutlessly all series.

I'm complete baffled by Pyatt's play so far - I mean, he DID have some alright stints in the regular season, but he also found himself a healthy scratch on a regular basis.

Maybe he's finally decided to turn around his game? His work ethic has been absolutely remarkable.

I'm complete baffled by Pyatt's play so far - I mean, he DID have some alright stints in the regular season, but he also found himself a healthy scratch on a regular basis.

Maybe he's finally decided to turn around his game? His work ethic has been absolutely remarkable.

Pyatt has been unbelievable. Where this came from, I have no idea. I do like it, though!

I got to see Novotny play a bunch down here in Rochester, and I, for one, am glad to see him playing well in Buffalo. He was composed out there last night and made a lot of plays and very few mistakes. The depth of this team is amazing, especially when you have MacArthur, Thorburn, and Paille also sitting down here in Rochester.

Don't count Vanek out just yet. I've seen enough hockey where a guy was considered down and out then came back to score a huge goal. Petr Klima did it for the Messier led Oilers over the Bruins. ;)

What he said. Before Max scored last night, I was saying how amazing it was that this team was doing so well with two of the players who got them to the playoffs (Max & Vanek) being non-factors.

Vanek is a young kid, he is still learning that now he isn't the most talented player on the ice, and he needs to learn how to be responsible defensively and how to make an impact in games where he is struggling offensively. Before he was scratched for game 2, I saw a lot of hesitation in his game, and I think he isn't real sure of himself yet. I think he'll get it soon enough, but right now you stay with the "hot" players.

The fact that Novonty was on the penalty kill last night just says sooooo much about these guys and this organization. I really hope we find a way to nail down this Rochester/Buffalo affiliation for the long-term - b/c of that strong affiliation is how we can call a guy up like Novotny and not only put him in the lineup, but have him on the ice of a Game 3 Conference Semi-final while playing shorthanded!

I actually thought Pyatt acquitted himself pretty well during the regular season. Remember that he had limited opportunities -- he missed significant time twice due to injury, and we've had a glut of forwards all year. I think he's hustled whenever he's been out there. I think he's going to be back for us next year and a regular contributor. I really like him on the bruiser line with Gaustad.

Regarding Vanek, I don't think the problem is laziness or lack of hustle. I just think he's a rookie and he's in a little bit over his head right now. I think he'll continue to work hard and eventually the game will start to come back to him. It may or may not happen in these playoffs however, esp. not if Timmy comes back and there are no other injuries.

Wow, one of our leading regular-season goalscorers is stuck in the press box because we have too many good forwards -- even though one of our best is out with an injury. Not a bad problem to have.

Go Sabres.

The thing that amazes me is the depth this team has at forward....MacArthur, Novotny, Paille, Thorburn are all guys that could already come in and make an impact. It's crazy.

Do you think Connolly will be back? Sadly, I don't.

IF the Sabres were healthy they would have at least 5 top 3 quality lines. They are icing 4 currently and have Mair, Connolly, and Vanek in the press box.

When you then throw in the 3 kids in Rochester that could see some Buffalo duty next year (Paille (who is definitely ready), MacArthur, and Thorburn) the organization has incredible depth at forward.

Let's not forget that if the Sabres played Vanek instead of Novotny, they'd probably have to move Roy back to center, which would disrupt two lines instead of one. I don't think Ruff wanted to mess with his checking line by adding Vanek.

Novotny's solid play at center was really a factor in the game, and Max stepped up his offense to make up for Connolly's absence.

You really have to love the way Ruff throws guys into the mix with they come off the bench. Novotny hasn't played in a month, and he's killing penalties. Pyatt goes from a healthy scratch to assisting on the OT winner. What an incentive to the guys who are being sat, knowing when they get the call they have the chance to imediately redeem themselves.

Vanek will get his chance sometime down the road, and Lindy will give him every opportunity to make the best of it.

Let's not forget that if the Sabres played Vanek instead of Novotny, they'd probably have to move Roy back to center, which would disrupt two lines instead of one. I don't think Ruff wanted to mess with his checking line by adding Vanek.

Novotny's solid play at center was really a factor in the game, and Max stepped up his offense to make up for Connolly's absence.

You really have to love the way Ruff throws guys into the mix with they come off the bench. Novotny hasn't played in a month, and he's killing penalties. Pyatt goes from a healthy scratch to assisting on the OT winner. What an incentive to the guys who are being sat, knowing when they get the call they have the chance to imediately redeem themselves.

Vanek will get his chance sometime down the road, and Lindy will give him every opportunity to make the best of it.

Jad, great point. After thinking about it last night, I felt that not wanting to mess with the lines was MORE of a factor in dressing Novotny than Vanek.

Lots of people have mentioned Novotny's play on the PK units, but I thought he played a great game in his own end. He backchecked on at least 3 or 4 different occasions, PERFECTLY, and was able to take the puck away from the Sens, on a couple occasions when Ottawa was beginning to buzz in our end.

If nothing else this season, through Timmy and Taylor (and Max and Dimitri and even Soupy), it is not a good idea to give up on these young guys. Sometimes it takes a while, but most eventually get it.

Vanek is going to be a star eventually, just not yet.

The fact that Novonty was on the penalty kill last night just says sooooo much about these guys and this organization.

I believe he was on the penalty kill in the final two minutes of the game. Granted Ottawa scored, but that says a lot about Ruff's confidence in him.

Archived