Where you score from mostly in the NHL, player tracking data

LGR4GM

Don't have the athletic, so I can't really comment on the article.  But I am curious how similar charts would look for the Sabres.  I suspect it would look quite different than NHL averages.  It would probably just reflect what we already know.. that the Sabres have a bunch of shooters that like to take shots from outside and that we don't get many shots/tips from right by the goalie.  

Also, the fact that about 20% of goals come from shots behind the goal is kind of crazy.  EDIT:  I misread the goals portion.  It is actually less than 1%.  It is kind of crazy that there are ~5% shooting percentages from the corners behind the net.  

Edited by Ctaeth

11 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

Don't have the athletic, so I can't really comment on the article.  But I am curious how similar charts would look for the Sabres.  I suspect it would look quite different than NHL averages.  It would probably just reflect what we already know.. that the Sabres have a bunch of shooters that like to take shots from outside and that we don't get many shots/tips from right by the goalie.  

Also, the fact that about 20% of goals come from shots behind the goal is kind of crazy.  EDIT:  I misread the goals portion.  It is actually less than 1%.  It is kind of crazy that there are ~5% shooting percentages from the corners behind the net.  

Initially it is.  But remember, for a movement of the puck to be considered to be a shot it needs to be headed towards the goal with enough force to enter the goal and either actually get into the goal or get stopped by the goalie.  A D-man blocking a shot doesn't count as a shot on net.  So, a "shot" from below the goal line needs to deflect off someone / something in order to be heading towards the net.  So, viewed from that light, it almost seems that a 5% success rate is a bit low because an attempt to bounce it in off the goalie that misses the goalie entirely ISN'T considered to be a shot.  And just hitting the goalie or a D-man without the puck changing direction towards the net opening won't be a shot either.  

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Does shot location include where the puck was tipped in or deflected?   

Or is that the location of where the "shot" that was tipped originated?

Considering shots from below the goal line have actual success rates (5%-10%), it has to be from where the shot originates.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Considering shots from below the goal line have actual success rates (5%-10%), it has to be from where the shot originates.

I wonder if wrap around attempts count as below the goal line attempts?  Its not like more than, what, 3 or 4? Michigan attempts are made in a season.

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

I wonder if wrap around attempts count as below the goal line attempts?  Its not like more than, what, 3 or 4? Michigan attempts are made in a season.

Good question.  Don't know if it's release point or skates location.  Guessing they'd count as above the goal line attempts, but don't know that for certain.

But behind the net is at 10% according to their shot map.  That can only be flipping the puck over the net, bouncing a puck off a D-man, or the Michigan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.