Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #71 Victor Olofsson

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #71 Victor Olofsson  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Victor Olofsson this year?

• He’s not a good player, or a good fit, and will lose his job and eventually be traded for a negligible return
    • He will score 20ish goals and frustrate some fans in a middle six role – either for the Sabres, or another team
    • He will take advantage of his opportunity and set himself up for UFA status with a career year

It was the perception among some at the start of last season that the year was a largely about seeing who among the current roster fit into the team’s long-term plans, and how. It was the perception of more by the end of the year – despite a career-high 28 goals — that for Victor Olofsson the answer was ‘not him, not now”. Too many lengthy droughts where he didn’t bring enough in the other areas of the game, combined with crunch-time healthy scratches seemed to have sealed the deal.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=142605

Do people know that over the past 4 seasons Olofsson has scored more goals than Evgeny Malkin, Anze Kopitar, Brock Boeser and Jack Eichel? That his production is very similar over that period to that of Jordan Kyrou, Jesper Bratt, Travis Konecny and PL Dubois? Do they know he was tied for 48th in ES goals for the entire NHL last year, and is a positive possession player for his career? Most of us expected Victor to be traded before the season got underway, but the Jack Quinn injury may have put a damper on those plans. There is certainly a spot available in the middle six. Can he take advantage? Will he be given the opportunity?

What do you expect from Olofsson this year?
(Last year’s takes here)

Edited by dudacek

I'm gonna say he seizes his opportunity to show off what he is capable of, gets traded for a handsome return at the deadline and earns a decent deal with another team in free agency.  He will be the poster boy for Donny's shift from all offense, all the time, to playing responsible 2-way hockey.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Isn't Olofsson highly likely to get ice time with some pretty good players this year?

Depends on how you feel about Krebs, Greenway, Mitts and I suppose possibly Cozens (although I think Olofsson's lack of grit or defense make it less likely he sticks with Cozens 5v5). Last year Olofsson was paired with Mitts and it was death, like truly atrocious in terms of how they operated together. It is why I just can't see him getting that again but I could see Mitts going to play with Cozens and JJP. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Depends on how you feel about Krebs, Greenway, Mitts and I suppose possibly Cozens (although I think Olofsson's lack of grit or defense make it less likely he sticks with Cozens 5v5). Last year Olofsson was paired with Mitts and it was death, like truly atrocious in terms of how they operated together. It is why I just can't see him getting that again but I could see Mitts going to play with Cozens and JJP. 

Yeah, the Mitts one is interesting because he is a very good player but he and Vic were a mess together.

i don't recall Victor and Cozens playing together much, but I think Dylan is about to emerge as a guy who makes his linemates better.

I also am very much intrigued by the idea of a Krebs/Olofsson/Greenway 3rd line. On paper I can't think of three non-elite players with better matching skilsets, in that they each seem to fill the holes in the others.

Edited by dudacek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/30/2023 at 11:32 PM, Doohickie said:

I'm gonna say he seizes his opportunity to show off what he is capable of, gets traded for a handsome return at the deadline and earns a decent deal with another team in free agency.  He will be the poster boy for Donny's shift from all offense, all the time, to playing responsible 2-way hockey.

I'm going to change my assessment.  Victor Olofsson is the Orange Cat

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.