Sens sign Tarasenko 1 year $5 million...

matter2003

21 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah but we are not getting worse either, I think Clifton is an uderrated signing.   Greenway might surprise us next year.

Goalie with Levi is a question mark for the entire league, but I believe in him.   Personally I think Comrie might make a good back up this year.

Any dude who played 78 games on the best regular season team in NHL history is a major upgrade for the Sabres D corp.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

They aren't bigger, aren't more experienced, aren't more battle proven, aren't faster, aren't more competitive, aren't deeper...?

Where's does this come from?

They play bigger, they have top line veteran leadership, they have a grittier line up that is more battle ready, they are maybe not as fast but fast enough, some of them are more competitive, but no they are not deep and neither are we. 

I'm not saying they will definitely be better than us, but they might be. Injuries and goaltending might very well be the difference. That aspect could go either way. I have more faith in Korpisalo than in Levi (as a rookie, later on sure) but I'm also sure many here will disagree with that so wait and see what happens. I could be wrong.  

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

They aren't bigger, aren't more experienced, aren't more battle proven, aren't faster, aren't more competitive, aren't deeper...?

Where's does this come from?

It’s the stormy cloud effect. Don’t say anything positive, unless you quickly follow up with something negative to balance it out so you don’t come off as having a PMA. Having a negative POV is kewl.

I personally think the Sens are a step or two behind the Sabres in most aspects. Most. I definitely wouldn’t swap rosters that’s for sure. No thank you.

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

They play bigger, they have top line veteran leadership, they have a grittier line up that is more battle ready, they are maybe not as fast but fast enough, some of them are more competitive, but no they are not deep and neither are we. 

I'm not saying they will definitely be better than us, but they might be. Injuries and goaltending might very well be the difference. That aspect could go either way. I have more faith in Korpisalo than in Levi (as a rookie, later on sure) but I'm also sure many here will disagree with that so wait and see what happens. I could be wrong.  

14 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It’s the stormy cloud effect. Don’t say anything positive, unless you quickly follow up with something negative to balance it out so you don’t come off as having a PMA. Having a negative POV is kewl.

I personally think the Sens are a step or two behind the Sabres in most aspects. Most. I definitely wouldn’t swap rosters that’s for sure. No thank you.

I think @PerreaultForever simply doesn’t think the Sabres have any bullies so by definition any team that has one is grittier. It doesn’t really matter if the Sabres aren’t scared, until the other team is scared.

Meanwhile, the  grit level of key Sabres like Mittelstadt, Cozens, Thompson, Power and Dahlin is found lacking, while the same of key Senators like Batherson, Norris, Stutzle, Chabot and Sanderson is ignored.

The experience thing is interesting.

The Sabres have one Stanley Cup ring (Johnson) as do the Senators (Tarasenko).

The Sabres have four players with significant playoff experience: Johnson has 55 games, Tuch has 66, Jost 46 and Clifton 46. Greenway has 22 and Okposo 24.

The Senators have 2 players with a ton: Tarasenko 97 and Giroux 95. After that, Hamonic has 22. That’s it.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think @PerreaultForever simply doesn’t think the Sabres have any bullies so by definition any team that has one is grittier. It doesn’t really matter if the Sabres aren’t scared, until the other team is scared.

Meanwhile, the  grit level of key Sabres like Mittelstadt, Cozens, Thompson, Power and Dahlin is found lacking, while the same of key Senators like Batherson, Norris, Stutzle, Chabot and Sanderson is ignored.

The experience thing is interesting.

The Sabres have one Stanley Cup ring (Johnson) as do the Senators (Tarasenko).

The Sabres have four players with significant playoff experience: Johnson has 55 games, Tuch has 66, Jost 46 and Clifton 46. Greenway has 22 and Okposo 24.

The Senators have 2 players with a ton: Tarasenko 97 and Giroux 95. After that, Hamonic has 22. That’s it.

Clifton does shift things in terms of playoff experience, that's true. I don't count the Minnesota guys as they are fringe players at best. If Johnson is starting 6 then he counts. Giroux, if he's still top 6 is the one that swings things for me, but we can argue and disagree all summer if you like but I still think it will come down to goaltending and/or injuries. 

The grit argument is different though. Sabres are not as soft as they were, but last year I still saw a team that backs down and/or doesn't back things up that much. Sure, Krebs had a fight he seemed to enjoy, and Dahlin hit a few guys on occasion, but we were bottom of the league in hits and we struggled more against the more physical teams if they played physical. We will see this year if guys like Cozens fully mature into forces of nature but at the moment, we will not hold up to their potential level of physicality. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Clifton does shift things in terms of playoff experience, that's true. I don't count the Minnesota guys as they are fringe players at best. If Johnson is starting 6 then he counts. Giroux, if he's still top 6 is the one that swings things for me, but we can argue and disagree all summer if you like but I still think it will come down to goaltending and/or injuries. 

The grit argument is different though. Sabres are not as soft as they were, but last year I still saw a team that backs down and/or doesn't back things up that much. Sure, Krebs had a fight he seemed to enjoy, and Dahlin hit a few guys on occasion, but we were bottom of the league in hits and we struggled more against the more physical teams if they played physical. We will see this year if guys like Cozens fully mature into forces of nature but at the moment, we will not hold up to their potential level of physicality. 

I gotta say you confuse me when you say things like Oscar Steen and Jacob Lauko are good 2-way bottom sixers and call Jordan Greenway fringe.

The Bruin pair have a combined 49 NHL games in 7 years of pro hockey and have yet to fully crack an NHL roster.

Greenway has been a pro for 5 years and an NHL regular for every one of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

I gotta say you confuse me when you say things like Oscar Steen and Jacob Lauko are good 2-way bottom sixers and call Jordan Greenway fringe.

The Bruin pair have a combined 49 NHL games in 7 years of pro hockey and have yet to fully crack an NHL roster.

Greenway has been a pro for 5 years and an NHL regular for every one of them.

I would trade Greenway for Lauko straight up in a heartbeat.  Steen can be considered fringe at this point but he fits the Bruins system so he could be a solid bottom end guy if they need that. Greenway puzzles me. He's such an inbetweener and I just don't know what he is at this point. If they can find a way to make him into one thing or another he might be a future part of the roster but at this point, until he develops into that one thing I will consider him fringe. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.