GDT: Sabres @ Mighty Ducks, Feb 15, 2023, 10pm, MSG WGR

LGR4GM

Just now, Claude Balls said:

When was the last time you saw a Sabres defense help out any goalie? I'll hang up and listen.

I'm wondering why we're waiting for the trade deadline to get a few defensive defensemen, whether we make the playoffs or not it will be valuable to the younger players to get coached up by some veteran Dmen imo.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

They need to ride with UPL from here out, good and bad.

Agreed. Gotta find out if he's got ot or doesn't. I'm leaning doesn't. Watching Levi play in the Bean pot, he can't get here quick enough. He looks like the real deal.

Edited by Claude Balls

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They need to run UPL and Comrie for the rest of the season to get them into a rhythm and more importantly see what they can do over the reminder of the season. Because if this doesn’t improve they need make other goaltending plans for next season if they want to be a playoff team 

Agree.  UPL and Comrie are our goalies next season, unless they show otherwise this season.  Keep playing them and find out if they are worthy.   It is what it is right now. 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.  UPL and Comrie are our goalies next season, unless they show otherwise this season.  Keep playing them and find out if they are worthy.   It is what it is right now. 

Neither has shown they shouldn’t be upgraded if possible. 

Just now, Pimlach said:

If they are the goalies next season, it will be another non-playoff season. Comrie is a career backup and UPL may be a serviceable AHL goalie, although he seems to play worse in the A.

1 minute ago, Claude Balls said:

If they are the goalies next season, it will be another non-playoff season. Comrie is a career backup and UPL may be a serviceable AHL goalie, although he seems to play worse in the A.

That's the point of running BOTH UPL & Comrie this year so they can figure out if that will be good enough for a year or 2 or if they have to fix it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yes. And I can't believe Portillo looks at the current setup and thinks that he'll have a better opportunity elsewhere. He has to believe he can beat out UPL and Comrie. If not, what's the point?

Yeah, I'm not sure what Portillo is thinking. I would rather have Levi, as I think he is gonna be special. Maybe Portillo sees the same thing and doesn't wanna be an eventual backup. He would be great trade bait of Levi pans out. 

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Comrie’s last start was three weeks ago (Jan 26). Obviously he hasn’t looked great, but that can be rust.  UPL has no rust excuse and hasn’t played well in a while. If Comrie shuts the door in the third, he should get another start right away.  This is a big period for the squad. 

If he pitches a shutout this period, would give him the SJ game.  Doubt Granato & Bales will agree.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

That's the point of running BOTH UPL & Comrie this year so they can figure out if that will be good enough for a year or 2 or if they have to fix it.

I think we all know the goalie situation has been a problem for quite sometime now. And the answer isn't on the current roster. UPL looked promising for awhile, but even in his wins, he was letting in a lot of goals. Not sure what KA has been watching.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Portillo is thinking. I would rather have Levi, as I think he is gonna be special. Maybe Portillo sees the same thing and doesn't wanna be an eventual backup. He would be great trade bait of Levi pans out. 

Maybe he'll only be a backup to Levi... but where else he going to go that he won't be a backup first? Here he'd have a great opportunity to stick in the NHL within 2 seasons.

• Agree 1

He must not like the organization.  He is walking away from a team with no set 1 or 2.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.