Front Page Changes: News logos and Playoff Pace chart added

SDS

45 minutes ago, SDS said:

For this of you who still use the front page as a nice resource to quickly find your Sabres articles, I have been changing things around.

https://www.sabrespace.com

1. Added news logos to the most common Sabres sources to give a better visual identification of where the article comes from
  2. Added a 96 pt playoff pace chart in the sidebar. Formatting comments welcome.
  3. General cleanup of everything (not done yet)
  4. Hopefully will be adding "last 5/next 5" schedule soon.

I am trying to make the front page more useful for us. If you have ideas of content you seek out elsewhere that could be added here, let me know. Constructive comments appreciated. 

If you don't visit and will never visit, then there is no need to tell me that.

Thanks.

Looks really sharp.  Good work.

🍺

• Like (+1) 2

Not a big deal, but curious as to why Athletic articles aren’t linked.

Not sure how the articles are curated, but they seem to be one of the better sources of info out there. I know they’re paywalled but the Buffalo News is as well after you hit a limit.

I also think the Adams and Granato presser videos on the Sabres site would be great additions to the feed. Maybe some of the podcasts as well, like Maintenance Day and Expected Buffalo. Basically would make the news page a one-stop shop for regular Sabres sources of info.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not a big deal, but curious as to why Athletic articles aren’t linked.

Not sure how the articles are curated, but they seem to be one of the better sources of info out there. I know they’re paywalled but the Buffalo News is as well after you hit a limit.

I also think the Adams and Granato presser videos on the Sabres site would be great additions to the feed. Maybe some of the podcasts as well, like Maintenance Day and Expected Buffalo. Basically would make the news page a one-stop shop for regular Sabres sources of info.

We never made a conscious decision to exclude The Athletic. I can ask. 

Are you asking for the Sabres video to be embedded? 

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

We never made a conscious decision to exclude The Athletic. I can ask. 

Are you asking for the Sabres video to be embedded? 

Not necessarily, but sure.

I basically listed all my regular SAbres info stops that aren’t already on the page.

It looks like a 96 point pace is too low. I guess i should make it 98. 

Do i need to make the reference line flat to determine how many points above or below the line we are or is the current angled slope fine for this purpose?

7 hours ago, SDS said:

Do i need to make the reference line flat to determine how many points above or below the line we are or is the current angled slope fine for this purpose?

I was listening to Boomer Gordon and his broadcast pal yesterday on the NHL Network on SiriusXM when they were making their predictions for the season. Boomer was saying 98 as well.

8 hours ago, SDS said:

98 is the lowest full season point total over the NHL 0.600 which has pretty much always guaranteed a playoff spot.  ('70 Habs are the only exception that immediately springs to mind.)

Angled slope seems fine.  Personally prefer it.  Regardless of flat or angled, on/above the line is on a playoff pace, below they need to do better.

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

98 is the lowest full season point total over the NHL 0.600 which has pretty much always guaranteed a playoff spot.  ('70 Habs are the only exception that immediately springs to mind.)

Angled slope seems fine.  Personally prefer it.  Regardless of flat or angled, on/above the line is on a playoff pace, below they need to do better.

That was my thought as well. I changed it to a 98 point Pace and I added last year‘s line for reference.

Not that anyone needs to, but if you’re on a desktop and you hover over the chart, if you go in the upper right hand corner you can display it full screen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hawerchuk said:

Good job! Looks nice and clean.

How about adding the Atlantic Standings and Next 5 scheduled games coming up; sort of like a quick glance graphic?

The latter is definitely on my todo list. I've been looking for the right piece of code to do this. The former I would like to implement, but need a data stream from somewhere. I don't have it in me to update a table every day.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, SDS said:

The latter is definitely on my todo list. I've been looking for the right piece of code to do this. The former I would like to implement, but need a data stream from somewhere. I don't have it in me to update a table every day.

Cool. thanks.

Yeah, totally understandable. "Ain't nobody got time for that!"🤣

This is a very minor thing, but I think there should be a small amount of whitespace between the header and the search box. I realize that's super obnoxious to point out, but I'm a backend engineer so I like to pick on frontends because I have no idea how they work.

image.thumb.png.bcbc0095467e48898a53f9068096e2c9.png

Just a simple <br> makes it look a bit cleaner (I think so anyway).

image.thumb.png.89d514c06d5d42275ac73516f6732b55.png

4 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

This is a very minor thing, but I think there should be a small amount of whitespace between the header and the search box. I realize that's super obnoxious to point out, but I'm a backend engineer so I like to pick on frontends because I have no idea how they work.

image.thumb.png.bcbc0095467e48898a53f9068096e2c9.png

Just a simple <br> makes it look a bit cleaner (I think so anyway).

image.thumb.png.89d514c06d5d42275ac73516f6732b55.png

You caught me while updating the ad code. It’s fixed now. If you see super weird things in the near term, it’s probably because I’m playing with a live site. 🤷🏻

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sakman said:

I like the pace vs. playoffs and last season chart quite a bit. Thank you for that. 

(I used to keep this chart on Excel at home for several years until the team crushed my spirit where I no longer bothered) 

I’m looking for other goto pieces of content like this that I might be able to incorporate somewhere.

Looks good.

I get setting the playoff pace at 98 so it’s more of a guarantee but realistically last year was an anomaly for the 8th seed point total.

Over the 10 (full) seasons previous, the average 8th seed qualifying total is 94 points. 

Just now, Thorny said:

Looks good.

I get setting the playoff pace at 98 so it’s more of a guarantee but realistically last year was an anomaly for the 8th seed point total.

Over the 10 (full) seasons previous, the average 8th seed qualifying total is 94 points. 

So, I went through every season and the last eight years or so and leaving out the two Covid seasons almost every season was around 98 points. Taro T saw the same thing. Where are you looking?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.